1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should have put out more... ?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Devil Dave, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out as gay at the age of 20, and even then I was always very prudish and shy around other gay men. It seemed like other gay men didn't want to know about my interests or hobbies, they just wanted to know if I was top or bottom. All they wanted to talk about was my sex life, and I didn't even have a sex life at the time - i had only just come out, without actually having any sexual partners.

So any way, I went through my 20s without having any serious relationships. I had casual encounters here and there, but on the whole my sex life has been pretty unremarkable. Now I'm in my 30s and feeling that I'm paying the price for not shagging around enough when I was younger. Other gay men didn't have much patience for me when I was new to the scene, and they don't seem to have much patience for me now. I'm not a bad looking guy - I often receive compliments about my looks - but because of that, people expect me to be an expert on sex and relationships, and the conversation falls flat when I have to explain that I'm not.

I'm starting to feel down about myself, like I let my 20s slip away and that I'm probably not ever going to have a good sex life or love life. Has anyone felt this way before? Was it wrong of me to not put more effort into exploring my sexuality when I was younger? I'd just like to know what other people think.

2. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am just fully coming out now at 38 and feel the exact same. I tried at different time when I was younger to be out but always seemed to shuffle back in. I don't see anything wrong with wanting someone to show interest in you on a deeper level. Personally, I hate the idea of casual sex and would be put off by someone showing such a single minded interest. I have only been in hetero relationships before and any casual things (just a few) just happened and I thought little of them. To be with a guy tho, to me I want to feel an emotional connection. Maybe it's because I am a more submissive type and feel I'd be giving so much more of myself......

#2 angeluscrzy, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  3. trilldude23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for sharing btw! We gay people don't really have convenient or comfortable ways of exploring our sexuality, so don't feel down. A lot of gay people, young and old, don't have highly active sex lives simply because finding our needs and supportive partners can be harder for us. I'm in my early twenties now and don't have a sex life at all lol. I want one, but I have yet to meet another gay man I connect with on a sexual level. And about a decade ago, the primary means for gay men to explore their sexuality were seedy and underground (still now sometimes but not as much). Navigating sex as a gay person is very complex at times. We want to have sex, we want to explore, but sometimes the opportunities are not present. I really wish things were easier for us tho honestly. But my man your not alone, trust me.

4. Molly1977

Hello,

Exactly the same situation as you. I thought I was gay at the age of about 16, tried to go to some gay clubs and kissed a girl when I was 18, tried to come out when I was 19 but was told that it was probably just a phase and felt relieved so happily went back in the closet.

Age 23 knew I was gay but the local gay club had closed down by that point and I didn't have the confidence, time or money to go to a club in London by myself. I soon found myself with a group of nice strait friends and no opportunity to be involed with any gay scene. I kissed another person at the age of 29 but they said that only kissed me for a joke. I am now 37 and have never had sex or had much opportunity to explore my sexuality very much.

This has had a negative impace on my confidence and on other aspects of my life such as conforming to what people expect of me and not doing what I want.

Sorry for going on about myself, but please know that you are not alone with feeling like you have let things pass you by.

You have had some sexual experience just try to build up your confidence again and if you meet someone nice who you would like to have a sexual relationship with keep your lack of experience to yourself, let him take the lead and learn as you go along. People will think that you are being respectful to what they want in a sexual relationship rather than doing what you want.

Hope this advice helps and you can feel more confident in the future. Molly xx

5. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thanks for the comments, guys. its nice to know i'm not alone.

What bothers me is the amount of gay men who seem to pity me for not making the most of my sexuality. Do a majority of gay men not like shy men? Are we supposed to be loud and upfront about ourselves all the time? Is it not a nice change to meet a gay man who is a bit more quiet and reserved?

Ideally I would like to have met an older man who could sort of guide me and ease me into having a satisfying sex life, but it just never worked out like that. A lot of older men I met seemed lecherous and made me feel uncomfortable. Others seemed to expect me to make the first move and already be in the know about everything.

I rarely have sex, so I'm not a slut, and I'm safe. These are things that I think should be appealing in a sexual partner. But it seems they are not appealing to a lot of single gay men.

6. Molly1977

Hi Dave,

The only advice I can give is to stick to your principles and to be yourself. you seem to know who you are and what you want from a relationship and so far haven't compromised this. Dont worry about the men you think are pittying you they are not worth it. It is far better to be single than to do what others think you should and end up feeling bad about yourself.

As i said before I spent my 20s and early 30s trying to be something I was not just to fit in with other people and now I completly regret it. It is so very important to be who you are and find someone who respects you for who you are. How would you feel if you became the "slut" that these men expect you to be and ended up getting used.

Be youself and you will find the person who is right for you, try to be something that you are not and this will never happen.

Much Love Molly xxx

7. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thanks Molly! it does help, knowing that however I acted in the past, I did on my own terms and not to please someone else. Hopefully I can meet someone who appreciates me for that!

8. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah if guys don't like shy guys, then I'd be pretty screwed as well.

9. CameronBayArea

Out Status:
    A few people
    Dave - Are you looking to gain more confidence with your sexual skills OR are you looking for a boyfriend who will appreciate you for who you are?

I've found that self-confidence is extremely important when dating, possibly second only to looks. Sexual self-confidence is a part of that, so I can imagine why you might want to be somewhat slutty just to gain more confidence.

However, I also wonder if your shyness is more because that's who you are vs. a lack of experience or confidence. I see the difference as being very important because the guys who don't have much time for you now are really only interested in sex, not who you are as a person. If they were genuinely interested in YOU, they'd enthusiastically embrace your shyness because that's who you are.

I wonder if you're meeting potentially compatible men in the right places. Bars and hook-up apps are mostly about meeting for sex. Social groups, shared interest groups and dating sites are more about making friends and getting to know people, often with an eye toward finding a relationship.

My suggestion is that you be confident in who are as a person and find the right venues where your best qualities will be appreciated. This approach might not bring quick satisfaction but it is more likely to bring long-term fulfillment.

10. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    … the trouble is the ones you notice happen to be the loud and in-your-face ones… the other shy ones sort of blend in to the background
    but they are there and all around you !! You just got to bump in to one :icon_bigg

11. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dave,

I'm almost 71, and just came out of the closet 18 months ago after being married to a woman for 28 years. I'd never even held hands with a guy until a year ago. So try to imagine how much behind the curve I felt! And I still do from time to time...

I tried hooking up with guys for a very short while, but found it incredibly frustrating and unsatisfying. So for the last 6 months, I've changed my attitude. I don't know whether I want a long-term relationship at my age, but I need an emotional connection at least as strong as the physical one, and I say so whenever I meet a guy. If he's not interested, fine, but even at my age, there are a lot of guys out there. And I've formed some pretty strong connections with a couple--connections so strong that the sex becomes transformative in a way.

But I have found guys who like me for who I am--not terribly self-confident, somewhat shy and insecure at first, and definitely inexperienced. But also kind, smart, funny, and caring. And so will you.

12. BidiKlum

This is lovely. And such a good reminder to those of us who feel "old" at 25, 35, 45...it is never too late. Well said. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

13. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're right. I tried going into a sauna a while back, and that was a terrible idea! Hook up apps are also a bad idea for me. These are the kinds of things where sex is offered to people on a plate, and if I'm not handing it out on a plate, then I shouldn't really be there!

14. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

That seediness of the 60-70's still exists. Name a hookup app and it is populated and lurked by MANY Babyboomers who think love is their next ejaculation with a different partner.

This affects the younger generation's culture but they are improving. :slight_smile:

Nothing wrong with waiting for love as long as you are looking.

#14 skiff, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  15. Viator

Hear, hear. I wish you nothing but the best, it seems as if you have come to a place where you are ready to give, and receive some real love. It is good to put those wishes out into the world, it allows them to come back to you.

And StillAround, thank you so much for sharing your story on this thread.

16. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sex is not something you "offer someone on a plate," it's something you share. Whether the person you share it with is a lover or an acquaintance matters not; what matters is that you both enter into it of your own free will and for whatever reasons make sense to each of you (not necessarily the same). It seems to me you're objectifying sex the way some people objectify virginity—you don't want to "give it up" without some sort of quid pro quo.

17. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    BidiKlum and Viator,

Thanks so much for your kind words. It took over 50 years of knowing I'm gay to accept myself. In the last year or so, I've come to celebrate myself. What a difference!

So many of us here, after years of repressing our own desires, start out thinking that we need to find someone to share our lives with. But the truth, I think, is that we have to be truly comfortable within our own bodies and minds before we're ready for that search. We first have to figure out who we really are and what we really want.

At that point, though, at least we'll be reaching out from a point of openness, authenticity, and integrity.

18. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't like to come across as having a negative attitude towards sex and people who enjoy sex, but I find sharing myself with another person quite difficult, and a lot of gay men seem to not understand that about me. I can't relate to them because of their experience and they can't relate to my inexperience.

19. Molly1977

Dave,

like i said before, stick to your values but be open to new experiences and dont do anything that makes you feel uncomfortable. If you meet someone you like and who likes you that will be willing to support you through your experiences of sex. Try to be confident and friendly and if you meet someone you like spend some time with them and slowly explain your lack of experience. Is the issue that you are coming across as unconfident and telling the men you meet strait away that you are inexperienced. Are they asking you about sex strait away, you dont have to tell them about what you have or havent done.

Hope you are ok. Molly xx

20. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I've recently begun dating again after a year or so. I was unemployed for a while and not earning much before that, so my confidence took a major blow and I avoided trying to meet partners. So now that I am starting to get my life back in gear, I've been looking for dates.

I also got my first iphone this year and decided to try out these dating apps. What I found is that there are quite a few men writing on their profile that they are looking to meet nice guys and make a connection and that they aren't into casual hookups. But once I start messaging with them, the conversation turns quite quickly to what do I enjoy sexually. And that's not something I'm comfortable about discussing with a person I only know as a photo and bit of text. I'd rather talk about that when we are in an intimate situation, like if the date has gone well and we end up getting close. I don't want to discuss it before we've even met!

So this experience has basically prompted me to join this community and bring up this subject. Because even though I've only been using date apps for a short time, it's not too dissimilar from how my meetings went with gay men during my early 20s when I was meeting gay men in gay pubs quite regularly (I even had a job in a gay pub at one point) and the first thing a lot of these guys wanted to know about me was if I was a top or bottom. I've never liked that question coming up so early - even if the guy asking it is incredibly good looking.

It's not just my sex life and attracting partners where I have been lacking confidence, there are other aspects of my life - I struggled through an education and struggled with a career that didn't work out well for me. I went through a long lazy period where I wasn't making much effort to go out and socialize. And this year I have managed to make some improvements to my life and been feeling on a high, but just as I've been thinking that it's a good time for me to try and meet a nice man or nice men, I found myself reliving those awkward moments from my 20s where I was that weird boy who avoided talking about sex with people.

Sorry for the long story, the advice on this thread has helped, I just wanted to get more of my history on here!