1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

31yrs old married and just told my husband I'm gay....

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by go figure, Aug 27, 2015.

1. go figure

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi,
    So 2 weeks ago I told my husband, who I've been with for 13 years I'm gay. It was a totally unplanned thing that happened in the middle of a panic attack. I've only started having panic attacks in the last month,so I'm still learning how to deal with those when they happen.

Anyways, in the middle of my break down I tell my husband I'm gay. The problem I'm having is I had never even allowed myself to mutter those words to my own reflection,and now I've said it to him. He's been really supportive all things considering, I can't even imagine what it's like to be on the receiving end of those words.

But now I'm not even sure what to do. I mean I've always thought in the back of my head "maybe I'm bi" but I've never really put to much thought into it. Now though it's out there and I've had time to think I know 100% that it's my truth. Everything else however is a big question mark.

I've never imagined my life with out my husband, he's my bestfriend. And I'm definitely not at the point where I want to go out and date. I've only allowed my self to really think about all this for 2 weeks. But I think not having any answers for my husband and not really knowing anyone else who's been through anything similar to ask advice from or gain any kind of perspective from, is actually causing these anxiety issues to be more prevalent.

Also I should mention we have 3 wonderful kids. So there's that, not a talk I'm looking forward to in the future.

Any advice on any of this, just to kind of get me kick started in the right direction would be so helpful. I know it's something I have to come into on my own, in my own time. But right now it all feels so heavy.

Thanks!

2. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I split from my ex two months ago. There were definitely other issues but my need to be out keeps me from wanting to reconcile. We were together 14 years and have 3 kids as well. She knew of my thoughts for a long time and hardest part she has with it is how I kept it "in check" for the longest time, but now I just can't take it anymore. There is a lot of stress in all of it, but the only thing I can think to do is just trying to be honest and decent. I'm prone to anxiety too and there has been plenty to be anxious about, however I feel so much better now that I feel I am finally able to be out.

3. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the best part about this is the fact that it's 100% the truth. On top of that, you have it over with and don't have to worry about it weighing on your mind. Those are the 2 things closeted people in your situation struggle with the most and you've put it past you. Hell of a start, lady :thumbsup:

Honestly, where you go from here is in your hands. There's no "right direction" - It's all about what you want to do. Don't stress about telling the kids, although I'm sure they won't be happy about their parents being apart, they'll adapt and surely be happy for you as you have the freedom to find your true happiness. I wouldn't sit your kids down and just blurt out that you're a lesbian. I'd start with telling them that the split is for irreconcilable differences, which isn't a lie. One day, when you find that special lady... Bring her around and explain it then. Sometimes kids won't understand things until they see it first hand.

Of course you're not ready to date yet, you were with this person for 13 years. That would be unfair to you, the kids and the person that you would chose to drag into it. Go out and meet people, make friends and socialize. That's the best way to get started.

The best days are ahead of you, good luck.

4. bi2me

Welcome! There are several newly out lesbian moms hanging around. I'm sure several of the will pop by to say hi before too long. :slight_smile:

5. go figure

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you so much for all the encouragement. This sure has been one hell of a month, but reading your replies have made me feel....like maybe someday I will learn to like this new me.

Like I said in my post, I've never had an anxiety problems until a month ago. I'm still at this point now where I don't know what to say to my husband when he asks questions. Honestly I don't want to say anything because the last time I opened my mouth, I outted myself, before I had even begun to accept it as my own.

God only knows what will come out next.

But seriously, thank you for all of your kind words. I was unsure about posting anything and just feeling really alone. And you all really helped me feel like maybe this is just a rough patch I'm going through, and not the start of my own personal hell life sentence. So thank you again!!

6. Thirdtimecharm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi go figure,
    Bi2me is right. So many great people on here. Lots of support.
    I am a mom like you in a somewhat similar situation. It helps to know ur not alone.
    We are here to listen and talk if you need us :slight_smile:

7. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I'm so happy that it went so well! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grin:

8. CameronMR

You're a brave, strong woman! I'm not out yet, still struggling with the when and how of it. Like in other poster days, the hard part is over!

9. go figure

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've only come out to my husband and a couple of close family members so far. It was so scary telling them but they were very supportive, and I'm not really anticipating a negative reaction from the ones I haven't told yet. I have been blessed with a very open minded family. Which should make me feel like this would be easier for me to deal with. But, it sadly doesn't. :dry:

Logically I know I need to cut myself some slack, there was a lot going on before I decided to come out and I probably came out way to early. I hadn't accepted it about myself before it came all tumbling out. But, I'm coming to accept it rather quickly, even if I'm still not quite sure what to do with it.

I think I'm over analyzing it everything I have going on, and because of that I'm stressing myself out even more. I'm a very logical person and as a mom I'm very much a problem solver and have that take charge, I got to fix everything personality. I think it comes with mother hood, and that works well in most situations, but it's not working out so well here. :confused:

My husband has been great, but even he looks to me for answers and how to proceed forward from here. We have only briefly spoke about separation. And at this point I am almost paralyzed with fear at the thought of making anymore life altering decisions.

It sounds so ominous when I type it out, but man this anxiousness I feel at times is so overwhelming real. It's dreadful. Anyways I guess I should be proud with the baby steps I'm making. I've been going to counseling and keeping a journal. Trying to be completely honest, even though it is painful to do so sometimes. And now coming here ec.

Coming here has made feel more normal and back to my balanced self then most of the other thing I've been doing above. It really is a great feeling to know I'm not alone. That and all the wonderful words really helped me through a rough day yesterday. (!)

10. bi2me

I'm glad you are finding it helpful too. :slight_smile:

Honesty can be scary and painful as we let go of the expectations we (and others) had for life, but it is usually freeing and cathartic.

11. Oh Lilac

I really feel for you. In the past year, I left my best friend/fiancé of almost ten years for a woman, so I know how hard it is and confusing. I went through a lot of guilt and still am. It is still so new, so give yourself time to adapt. It sounds like you are doing the right thing, and a counselor is even better. I'm here if you need to talk ever. Importantly, take care of yourself in this time.

12. Moonflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This is a great place full of very understanding people. There are many women in your situation. Things will get better. Why? Because you've cracked open the ability to truly know yourself...and that's a good thing.
    I'm sorry to hear about the panic attacks-they can be absolutely brutal. Hopefully they were just a symptom of your sexuality begging to be dealt with-in other words, things coming to a head-and might start to decline.
    I am so glad your husband is supportive and not nasty to you because of this.

13. SingTillWeFly

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Moonflower's right, things will get better. But there's no timeframe and the roller coaster feelings of panic then elation at feeling more like yourself don't help.

I came out to my husband of almost 25 years this past spring, not long after coming out to myself. It's been hard, but he's been incredibly supportive. That fact carries with it it's own brand of guilt for me, but we both know that this is who I am and he wants me to be happy. I don't have kids, but I'm a child of divorced parents, so I know how that complicates things even more.

I know the thought of separation is frightening. I found that over the past year that if I wasn't having panic attacks about coming out, I was having them about living alone and supporting myself despite the fact that I know I'm perfectly capable of doing both. It's still scary.

One thing I can recommend is to read as many resources as you can and, if you need someone to talk to, to find a good counselor. I particularly found books about coming out later in life helpful; my husband even read one to get a perspective on what I was going through.

And take care of yourself. I started doing yoga and meditating just to concentrate on myself and calm my thoughts. It helped a lot.

You're a brave, strong woman who's taken some very big steps. Remember that you can take all of the little ones you need to in your own time.

14. go figure

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh my goodness you are so right about the guilt of them being supportive. I totally understand that feeling. It's almost like its own separate weight on top of everything else.
    I've been doing a lot of walking and cardio for the anxiety. I would love to meditate, but I think that'll have to wait till after the kids summer vacation lol. I haven't been able to find many books to read, I'm going to keep looking though. :grin:

15. rachael1954

go figure, you are SO NOT ALONE!!!

I understand the feeling of anxiety, and the panic attacks. The only thing that has taken the edge off is reading these forums here on EC and also scouring the internet for information. I also bought all these books and they seem to help a little bit, too.

You don't have to buy them new, get them on h a l f dotcom some are only a few bucks, much better than paying full price. So worth it! Rearrange your schedule if you need to get to the mailbox before your husband, but do so if you can. As long as he is not a potentially violent person and you feel safe doing so.

Here are the books I bought:

Dear John, I Love Jane : Women Write about Leaving Men for Women
    And Then I Met This Woman : Previously Married Women's Journeys by Sally M. O'Neil
    Late Bloomers : Awakening to Lesbianism after Forty by Robin McCoy
    Living Two Lives : Married to a Man and in Love with a Woman by Joanne Fleisher
    Married Women Who Love Women by Carren Strock

Finding Meaning in the Second Half of Life : How to Finally, Really Grow Up by James Hollis
    Crossroads at Midlife : Your Aging Parents, Your Emotions, and Your Self by Frances Cohen Praver

Why I'm Still Married : Women Write Their Hearts Out on Love, Loss, Sex, and Who Does the Dishes

16. go figure

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you so much for the suggestions, and kind words. I'm going to go online and check out a few. :slight_smile:. This site has really been helpful to me too. It's really helped give me a bit of perspective and helped with some of the anxiety. I just have to keep reminding my self to stay in the present and not over analyze everything all the time. Lol I'm my own worse enemy.

17. kinsey

kinsey Guest

I wish I had your courage. I know it came out in a panic attack, but still -- it came out. I've been married over 20 years to the nicest guy, and I'm faking it to keep our family together, and because I think I'd break his heart. I only dream of having the kind of courage you found to live your truth. Brava!

18. Ladyhawk

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ditto with Kinsey. I'm almost 31, been married to my husband for almost 8 years. I've only come to accept myself recently, though I've toyed with the thought for several years. I haven't told my husband yet and I'm afraid to. We have to kids and we have a good friendship, just no sex which he is always annoyed with. I tried to separate with him once but he became very manipulative and emotionally abusive. I know I can't keep living a lie but I feel so trapped. I am going to speak to a counsellor at my university soon to help deal but I thought I would seek out an online community to talk to as well.

19. bi2me

Welcome! I hope we are able to help :slight_smile:

20. CapColors

Hi, sending you good vibes! There are lots of ways to get through this kind of situation; many of them are posted about on this site.