1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tell my friend how I feel?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by CapColors, Sep 3, 2015.

?

Should I tell her?

1. No. Unneeded complication. Suck it up and ride it out.

8 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Yes. She deserves to know.

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  3. Tell her you are bi only, not that you are in love with her. She'll ask if she wants to.

16 vote(s)
    61.5%
  4. Tell her only after your feelings fade, mentioning it is in the past tense.

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Some other option, that I may write about in a comment.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. CapColors

I'm married, and in love with my best friend (who is also bi and married). I ALSO still love my husband, and have NO intention of physically cheating or leaving him.

(I fell in love with this woman because I didn't know I was bi (it seems so painfully obvious now), so I didn't guard against my thoughts the same way I would have if it were a man. A huge error! One I deeply regret, but not something I can magically wish away. This is not an excuse, just an explanation of how I got here if I like my husband so darn much, as I claim.)

I have not told my best friend how I feel. I have a feeling she would be sympathetic (she loves me as a friend, of that I'm sure) but not interested sexually in me (she is more beautiful than I am, less gay, and also married).

I am tempted to tell her for the following reasons:

- if indeed she is uninterested, it will hurt temporarily but in the long run will help me get over my feelings for her
    - I feel like a creeper lusting after her all the time and she has no idea. It feels dishonest.
    - She should have the right to know, if she wants?

I DON'T want to tell her for the following reasons:

- it could make our friendship deeply, deeply awkward
    - i might be wanting to tell her to satisfy myself, putting her through an unnecessary stressful event
    - it will be harder to keep my secret if another person (even the object of my affections) knows.
    - there is a chance she feels the same way. Which will be AWESOME...for about 30 seconds. Then it will be either very tempting or very sad or both.

SO....

To tell or not to tell? What is your vote? Anyone had this conundrum?

2. zgirl81

I would say that you should tell her you're Bi, tell her that you've accidentally fallen in love with a woman, but have no intention to hurt your husband. And then ask her for her advice.

Her answer to that will let you know if you should inform her that she's your crush or not. It will be nice for her to know that you're Bi (I know it's helped me support my friends when they've come out to me), and it'll deepen your friendship. If you don't want to damage your friendship, and you're not wanting to hurt your husband, and you're not planning on acting on your feelings for her, then the detail of exactly who you've fallen in love with doesn't really matter.... it just matters that you did fall in love, and want help figuring out what to do next.

3. bi2me

I had to tell my bff... and I had to ask her how she felt too. I'm not good at keeping that kind of information to myself. :dry:

4. TeaTree

I'm not married but in a lt relationship (which I do intend to leave because I realized I cannot be fully myself in it, not only because I'm gay).
    I got a kind of huge crush on a friend, who I know only for half a year but now I feel she is my closest friend. I came out to her (sort of the first person I came out to, except bf and ex-therapist) and since then I feel even closer to her, she also told me things about herself she doesn't share with others.
    I was thinking to tell her about my feelings for her, and there was this duality: I didn't want to lose her as a friend, as we got this amazing, flowing connection, but in the same time it got harder and harder being around her every time and wanting more, longing to kiss her, to touch her.

But I somehow felt that she is closed off from wanting something more (in this moment including from other people I think). By default I thought she was straight, not sure anymore but it doesn't matter now.

She moved away this week and we still keep in touch daily and I still love her but I think the distance helps.

So this wasn't anything like an advice, and I think you should do what your heart (and brain, somehow both in cooperation if possible :icon_bigg) tells you. I know I intended to tell her but when I got there I just realized it's not what I want or need right now. It just didn't feel right.

5. BidiKlum

Hey, I know if it were me I would want to tell her, but only because a part of me would be hoping that she felt the same way. And since that is the route to opening up a can of worms, I would have to go with only telling her your orientation. Good luck and keep us updated ok? Take care of yourself. xx

6. cakepiecookie

Yep, I agree with this. If you tell her, either she won't feel the same way, which can lead to major awkwardness (I actually lost a good friend that way), or she will feel the same way, which will feed into feelings you don't want to act upon. Either way, you lose.

Come out if that's what you feel like you need to do, but leave crushes out of it for the time being.

7. karinp

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi CapColors,

Thank you for sharing- and I'm so sorry you're going through this. I know how painful it is.

I don't really have anything helpful to add, but I just wanted to say you're not alone in this. I think many people, perhaps esp. those who are just coming out to themselves, have been in this position.

I'm really in nearly the same position myself at the moment, and have been for about a year. Unfortunately, it's getting more difficult, not easier. In my case, this woman is not openly bi- but it seems very clear to me the feelings are mutual... well, sometimes.

I think the biggest pro to telling is that it seems like one of the few ways to move on. Something about just keeping it inside, it seems to just intensify- at least in my experience. The truth setting you free and all that- I think there's something to it.

Of course, telling might have a negative impact on the friendship. But, I tell myself something is already having an impact on the friendship, the only difference is that it's being acknowledged.

For me, some days it seems worth the risk. Sometimes I think I'd rather not have the friendship in my life than go through this pain every day.

Other days I think it just isn't possible to live without seeing her lovely face or hearing her voice- and so the risk feels too great.

I'm not much help! I just simply wanted you to know you're not alone.

~K.

8. CapColors

Thank you so much to everyone for your thoughtful advice. I will respond individually in the coming days as I digest it and have the time to post.

THANK YOU

9. kinsey

kinsey Guest

I had a similar experience, and I wound up telling. I fell unexpectedly in love with a friend I hadn't seen in years, ten years ago. It is how I realized I was bi. After re-connecting, we became best friends. I've been in love with her all this time, deeply, painfully. Too ashamed to tell her, secretly hoping she felt the same. I'm married, kids, she was too but since divorced.

I finally decided to tell her I was bi, but only that. Surprisingly, she admitted she was jealous and didn't like the thought of me being with a woman who could also give her sex. She figured she'd be replaced. She said she always thought we'd wind up together, but she never thought about sex with me. She figured she should try it, to see if she liked it. Of course, these words were magic to my ears. So we tried, and it seemed to go great. But a week later, she decided she preferred men. I was crushed.

Soon after I decided I needed to tell her how I'd felt about her all these years, especially now that I had closure. Because the one thing that made the longing for her bearable was the hope I felt that we'd be together some day. Without that hope, the longing was torture. She was pretty mad at me for essentially lying to her all these years. And that I didn't trust her enough to tell her my true feelings. She loves me and feels closer to me than anyone, but not that way. She said despite the feeling of betrayal, she wasn't going anywhere and refused to lose our friendship. I still feel pretty confused about her sexuality based on our experience, but I'll post that question elsewhere.

We're working through it. I don't know that she gets how hard it is for me still. Love and longing don't just magically disappear. But my advice to you would be to be honest. Otherwise, you will live inauthentically and in the shadows, possibly for years. And that is a painful place to be. Whatever comes from your being honest, whether a deepening of your relationship with her or its ultimate demise - you will be living authentically, and that is the goal! Good luck.

10. CapColors

I think you are right. If I do anything about it, it will likely be this. I WOULD like to talk about it with her...I only wish it wasn't a particular woman at all that I liked, that I'd figured it out in general first.

---------- Post added 10th Sep 2015 at 01:01 AM ----------

You are a brave woman!

---------- Post added 10th Sep 2015 at 01:03 AM ----------

Yeah...I have a feeling that I'll decide something similar when the moment actually comes. I am throwing her a birthday party and I've envisioned THAT MOMENT sooooo many times. But when we get there I'll probably just "no homo" it, despite the fact that I truly feel the opposite.

---------- Post added 10th Sep 2015 at 01:04 AM ----------

Thanks for your kisses of good luck! :slight_smile: Yes, I'm not sure the worms are worth it. I can't follow it with any action.

---------- Post added 10th Sep 2015 at 01:06 AM ----------

So, so true.

And I could easily lose my other two good friends, too. We are a group of four who do everything together.

Not to mention complications with our husbands...

---------- Post added 10th Sep 2015 at 01:09 AM ----------

I FEEL YOU, KARIN! I go through this nearly every fucking day! I'm tired of it. But BOTH sets of feelings are my truth. I just oscillate between them, it seems.
    Thanks so much for your compassion.

---------- Post added 10th Sep 2015 at 01:14 AM ----------

I do worry about this! I pray that my friend will forgive the deception. I think she will, but one truly never knows.

Thank you for your insight, Kinsey.

I'm not sure that living in the shadows is worse than destroying what I have. I have her now, as much as I can faithfully have her. Your words are wise but I have to consider that a shadow life may be the best of all lives given that I can't back up my feelings with action. I know that makes me sound like a coward, but it's also kind of realistic. :frowning2:

#10 CapColors, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  11. bi2me

Well, in my case, we had a history of sexual exploration, so it probably didn't come out of the blue. Plus, we were on vacation together (with husbands and some other ppl at a wedding reception) during my freak out hysteria, so it was kind of hard to hide. She replied at the time, "not all kinds of love are compatible" which I sat on for a long time (like 6 months) before actually asking her point blank if she had any feelings for me. Which she does. But we are both married. To ppl who value monogamy.

12. CapColors

I'd have done the same in your situation, most likely. Except I wouldn't have handled it as well: I think that vague quote would have driven me nuts! I wouldn't ahve lasted six months, heh.

13. bi2me

I lasted until we were close to going away together with a third friend of mine. I just needed to know where we stood before we were sharing a bed platonically.

14. CapColors

Yes, well, definitely. You need to know what's up before an event like that occurs!

15. bi2me

Yeah... At least I knew we were both laying there struggling with the same issues

16. setnyx

i totally agree as well.

17. CapColors

Thanks, setnyx, for weighing in.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to do so! :slight_smile:

18. CapColors

Now that I'm out to my husband, I want to tell EVERYONE. But my feelings for this friend haven't gone away. They've diminished a little, but they could still be destructive. Thanks again to everyone who answered this poll. I have just finished rereading the comments and remembering why I have to keep my feelings toward her to myself.