1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues with focusing at work

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by TeaTree, Sep 4, 2015.

1. TeaTree

Does anyone else have this?

Since I'm on this crazy rollercoaster-ride of coming out to myself and reconfiguring my mental setup about who I actually am, I started really having issues with focusing at work. Interestingly until not long ago I was this person who always wanted to be left alone to do her work, though I knew in a way after a while that I wasn't necessarily happier when I isolated myself into it.

Lately, on the other hand I cannot wait to actually talk to people, to communicate, I enjoy it so much. Somehow I think I always wanted this more than the isolated role, but convinced myself I'm this person who just wants to be left alone to work. Because it felt safe somehow.

Anyway, lately I'm going to work not to be home :icon_bigg ( with my bf), and to socialize with people, but when I actually have to work I cannot focus.

Also I was thinking about the connection between coming out to myself and recognising other stuff about myself I haven't before, for example related to what I actually like, and want to do in life. I've come to realize that until now I didn't actually live my life based on my preferences, in a way I don't know what I actually like.

#1 TeaTree, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  2. CapColors

I have great sympathy for this. I actually missed a work deadline completely three weeks ago, because I was essentially totally unable to focus. I was spending work hours thinking about my life and situation. So frustrating!

Things are getting better as I've gotten busier with the start of the school year and have more structured time. I'm also probably going to have to make a list of what my goals are and how to reach them. Psychological science into self control advocates planning as a way to put unquiet minds to rest. That being said, I also think we must do a certain amount of mental processing in order to even be able to get to that point! That may still be the phase you and I are both in.

Warm regards and best wishes!

3. CameronMR

I can't focus either.... With my job, that's not good..... :frowning2:

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this is a natural phenomenon, and one that I certainly experienced. It is important to find the right balance between focusing on your own personal development and not letting your work slip such that it puts your livelihood at risk.

By human nature, you do need to allow yourself some emotional room if your able to do so.

5. Really

I had that, too. I had to tell myself, "Do ABC and then you can think about XY or Z." Sometimes it was, "Just get A done, ok?!". Or I gave myself a certain time when I was allowed to XYZ. Before that, had to do my work.

It's gotten better but sometimes I still have to tell myself I'm working now, so, get to it.