1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling incapable of carrying on

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by blue3011, Sep 7, 2015.

1. blue3011

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Currently going through "one of my tough times"..... does anyone else get those times.Where you can't keep the lid on all those feelings anymore? Feels like I'm trying to keep the lid on a very fizzy bottle of pop.The pressure is building and building and you feel that you're going to explode unless you shout out ...." I'm gay!!!!"
    A few weeks back I felt like I had turned a corner.I've faced up to the fact that I'm gay and as a result, I'm living a total lie currently. Married with a daughter.There have been so many times recently where I've just wanted to let my wife know. Regardless of her reaction, regardless of what happens.... I just want to tell her.As per usual,I'm too scared to do anything about it.The feelings subside and I can keep a lid on it.Until the next time....until today!Then it all starts again.My terrible mood swings,lack of interest in anything family orientated. I hate myself and the pain that I know I'm causing.Does this ever change?Do I just reach a point where I can't take anymore and blurt it out?

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like a very similar experience leading up to when you finally decide to make the plunge. I was at a very similar spot. Good Luck!

3. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It does indeed sound very familiar. With luck, you will come out, you'll go through some tough times (though probably not as tough as what you're going through now), and the world will go on. For what it's worth, in my experience, mixed orientation couples who get along well in their marriages do best in the aftermath.

4. blue3011

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you both for your insight.I seem to get so close to admitting the truth and then can't face what might lie on the other side of that.It's a terrible feeling. It makes me feel so lonely and depressed.It feels like I've died but am still here....does that make sense?I see and hear my wife and daughter getting on with life and don't feel part of it....like I'm visiting in spirit

5. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, that does make sense. When you come out (even if only to yourself), a part of you dies — the old you — but at the same time, a new you is born. The new you is who you really are, free of the shackles of trying to conform to the demands of society and other people. I'm not religious, but I imagine what we feel is equivalent to what evangelical Christians refer to as being "born again." It is an intensely emotional experience.

Something to keep in mind is that it's not just you that has to adjust to the feeling of dying. Your wife, if and when you tell her, must also accept that the you she thought she knew is dead and that you are no longer the same person (and yet you are!) I used to tell my wife, soon after I came out, that it would all have been much easier had I just been hit by a bus: she'd be sad for awhile, then she'd get over it and go on with her life. With me still around, that's so much more difficult to do.

#5 Weston, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  6. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a novice in this department but my instincts are, a) tell your family. Be open and honest. Tell them the reason why you feel the way you do. b) ask them for their help, this gives them a stake in you. c) tell them how you feel about them. Do you still love them? If so tell them.

Keeping anger and anxiety pent up, with them not knowing, can do a lot of harm.

Later

#6 brainwashed, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  7. diablo598

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have been going through this for a while and everytime I see the light at the end somethig happens and I am almost back at the begining

8. Bearfix

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Echoing everything Weston said and he's spot on with it, their the type of feeling you're getting and will get. You have probably heard the saying countless times "it's gets better" and it does it really does, the time it does get better goes on your coming out experience and how well it goes but either way it takes time to process too.

I've read about people coming out and it going well and settling the processing stage as I call it after a couple of months, I read about people having horrific coming out experiences and it's took a year or two.

After all the dust settles good or bad I've only read about one person out of probably 1000's that it didn't get better and I've read some bad stories, that person had not accepted it personally and got out by someone he was hated by, he's probably still walking around with a chip on his shoulder now.

Sadly there are experiences where people never face the coming out and just can't face it, with being there myself like at a lot on here If only they had come out or spoke to people at least, some will carry on and be totally miserable for the rest of the days with regret, some end it :frowning2: :frowning2: Some just crash and burn and it breaks my heart.

Even the best of best coming outs still take time for the aftermath to settle, I'm utterly kicking myself for not coming out earlier than I did, the emotional hell was unbearable as many are and have gone though and I wasn't even married.

Good luck with your journey, times a superb healer with it, the time depends on your surroundings and how it goes. No coming out the closet after being in for a while is ever easy.

Bearfix....I wish you all the very best.

9. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You want a controlled release or destructive explosion?

You have a choice. It is coming one way or another.

10. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perfect. Perfect, perfect, perfect. I love the analogy.

I use a "train wreck" analogy. Do you jump off the train, hoping to land well or do you ride it out and die?

11. bi2me

Or maybe take over the train and direct which tracks it can use.

12. Bearfix

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Excellent way of putting it.

13. blue3011

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I want to live a genuine honest life.......but I can't see how to get there yet

---------- Post added 8th Sep 2015 at 10:39 PM ----------

"Train wreck".... Yep,that's how I feel lol.Welcome to my world

---------- Post added 8th Sep 2015 at 10:40 PM ----------

"Train wreck".... Yep,that's how I feel lol.Welcome to my world