1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

finally saw my counselor today...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by CameronMR, Sep 14, 2015.

1. CameronMR

This is the first time I had seem my councelor since admitting to myself that I'm a lesbian. I spoke of my journey, my fears about coming out and the possible outcomes I had considered. He said it was amazing how strong I am, and that he thinks I am comng at this with grace. He was very impressed at how considerate I was of my bf and his feelings.

He asked how it felt to be out to myself, neither one of us had vocalized the word, Lesbian. I said it was very freeing. He said say it out loud to me, tell me your a lesbian. I did, and it was the strangest feeling. I have said it to myself, but not out loud to anyone else. He smiled and said I would need practice, and that I should practice saying it to him. lol

I am going to write a Dear John letter, not to give to my bf, but to clear my head, to visually see what I want to say. How I will react. He(the counseller) said I can read it to him, and from the perspective of a male, give me feedback. So, I have an appointment with him in a week, then after that I feel I should be ready to come out to my BF. I am equal parts excited and terrified! I even put together a list of things my bf might say, and I formulate a response to each one that is kind, respectful, yet sets clear boundaries. I do the same thing for a job interview...haha

ANyone else formulating any coming out plans? I have to plan it out or I will be an emotional wreck....

2. High Art

This is encouraging!
    I want to tell my husband tonight. We have limited time together these days, and I will be going out of town for 3 weeks on Wednesday, so it's kinda now or when I get back. I'm tired of keeping this from him, I feel it is unfair to both of us.
    I not prepared to leave heat this point... I thought I was, but after spending some family time together recently, I just don't feel ready.
    So my plan is to tell him that I have been seeing a counsellor that I've been questioning my sexuality, and feel at this point that I am gay. I gong to say that this is a confusing and difficult process for me and that I feel I need to be honest in order to give him the chance to start processing this as well. I am going to preface it all by telling him that I love him and care about him, and I'm telling him this out of respect for our relationship.

I should probably write a dear John letter before talking to him... That's a good idea.

I really don't know if I'll find the nerve!

3. CameronMR

The letter might help you get your thoughts in order! <3 Good luck!! I'm rooting for you!

(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

---------- Post added 14th Sep 2015 at 02:23 PM ----------

theres a dear john I love jane support group in Vancouver...tried to find one in my area with no luck, but that might be something you could take advantage of, and here I am assuming that you didn't already know about it!! lol if you do, great! if not, now you do!

4. mellie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    (*hug*) Hey lady. Just wanted to tell you you're not alone. I'll be telling my husband the truth in counseling next Tuesday. My therapist and I hashed it out today and decided it would be the best thing to do at this point. Glad I have people to go through this with. Keep us posted.

5. CameronMR

Thanks, Mellie! I would love to hear how it goes for you! All the best! (*hug*)

6. High Art

Yes, I've connected with the group leader, and am planning to go to my first meeting on Tuesday. I'm nervous and excited.

7. CameronMR

Please let me know how that goes! Wish there was something like that here.

8. High Art

I will. I did meet with the coordinator a couple of months ago (they were on haitus for the summer) - it felt awkward, airing my secrets to a stranger - but it also made me feel really gay... in a good way, in a confirming way - and then also tragic - because... well.... you know - husband.

---------- Post added 14th Sep 2015 at 03:21 PM ----------

wishing you the best! I guess all three of us have a big week ahead of us. (&&&)

9. TeaTree

Wow, I wish all of you good luck with this (*hug*) The letter idea sounds very good. Well, I also wrote one before coming out to my bf, like a freaking novel, but it was kind of detailed about my sexual attractions to women, so I didn't really use much of it for the live thing.
    And I wasn't too prepared at that point to actually verbalize my feelings. I think from this point of view, you all are in a much better position, you seem to have a clearer view at this point than I had when came out to him.

So again, good luck and let me know how it went (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

10. CapColors

Good luck and best wishes to both of you!

11. Thirdtimecharm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Words are very powerful. You are all very powerful and brave women. I admire you all for committing to be your authentic selves. We all have our own processes.

I myself have come out to my husband as bi. Once I allowed myself to accept my attraction to women, as many have described, it was like the flood gates were opened. I chose him to be my partner in life, and being bi is a big part of my life, so I felt I had to share it with him. He was very threatened at first, and I think still may be. He had asked me if I will come out as a lesbian one day and I told him no....but I am truly not sure. For these past several years my preference for women has grown and taken on a life of itself. Now that I think about it maybe I am clinging to the label of bi (cringe I despise labels...) Bc I am not quite ready to accept that I am a lesbian. Guess I have some more soul searching to do...lol. Keep being amazing ladies, I enjoy the updates you post and get strength from your journeys, believing one day that maybe I can be where you are at :slight_smile:

12. CameronMR

My bf asked me when we got together about me being bi. He was very concerned that I would miss being with a woman, and wanted to know if there was a possibility I'd leave him for one. I, of course, was so sure of myself I argued him it would never happen. I know he knows something is up because he had brought this up a few times recently.