1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else having dates shut down as soon as you say how inexperienced you are?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by CuriousLiaison, Sep 17, 2015.

1. CuriousLiaison

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

I'm 31. Basically figured out that I was gay over the last year, was out to everyone by the end of June. And I remain pretty inexperienced.

I've gone on a few dates, but I'm yet to have a date or dating-app-based-conversation that hasn't been summarily drawn to a close when I admit to what I said in the previous paragraph. Last night I had a really good conversation (via an app) with a good-looking guy, who definitely liked me, we made each other laugh. When I asked him out he said "Definitely, yes." He's 26.

He then asked for more pics (yes, that type), and I conceded that I was a bit new to this. The above revelation was made. And he said "I'm a little more advanced than you I fear. So gonna have to stop it here. Sorry." He was nice enough about it. I asked him for some advice after that and he told me to be honest early on, and wished me luck.

I mean, I understand his position. But also it feels like I'm lying by omission if I don't tell people kind of where I am. But where I am is also a bit self-perpetuating when it seems that most people will come to the same decision as him. It doesn't help that telling people that you only came out to yourself over the past year is basically saying that I have recently gone through a traumatic experience that isn't really a great flirting topic.

Admittedly, I haven't gone on too many actual dates, so hopefully eventually someone'll come along who won't mind. I also don't really know if the guy last night was actually looking for anything more than a hook-up. It's all just pretty vexing.

Anyone had similar issues? Thanks.

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds to me like being turned down because your inexperienced is simply being turned down from a hook up. If your looking for a real date to meet and build a real relationship, I cannot see why there should be any issues. So your probably better off not spinning your wheels in any event if someone turns you down, as chances are they are only interested in a casual get together. Better to know that early on.

That said, I would personally hold back on more intimate details about yourself (such as being inexperienced), until you meet someone face to face. Just as you have sensitive things about yourself, so does whomever your talking to. As the saying goes, everyone has skeletons in their closet, and there is no need to let all the skeletons out early on.

BUT, I also want to be clear, being inexperienced is not a bad thing nor a bad skeleton. Been there myself, so has ever single other person as well!

In summary, there is nothing wrong with managing your messaging about yourself. That's the whole point of dating - getting to know someone. And you can not let the other person know everything about you in the first 30 minutes :slight_smile:

#2 OnTheHighway, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  3. BidiKlum

Hey, I don't have experience myself but just from hearing from others, I think you have two options - leave out the inexperience until they get to know you a little better - so they see that it is worth it! :slight_smile: Or be up front with it and find a guy who shows he is worth it.

ETA: Jinx, OntheHighway! :slight_smile:

#3 BidiKlum, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg

5. Thelyingleo

I've been completely out for almost 2yrs, and have had the same experience that you have. It's hard, because i have found that some lesbians consider me "not a real lesbian" and don't want to waste their time for fear that I'll run back to a man... ugh. This is soo hard, because I am in my early 40's, and I know who the heck I am, and who I want to be with. I feel like the right person/people wont care though, so weeding out the ones that aren't right. I'm working on meeting more people in my community and going to lgbtq events so that I can get to know people face to face before having to deal with that.

6. CuriousLiaison

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah probably (re the first sentence). Yes, I reckon he was only interested in a casual thing. I still have only been on a couple of actual dates, but so far there is yet to be another drink bought after talking about only figuring out recently that I'm gay. Might not be related, but don't think it helped. The conversation last night just kind of upset me, because we'd chatted a fair bit, and I think he could see that in general I'm (now) fairly well-adjusted and comfortable with myself.

I had met him on the straight-targetted, flame-based app, rather than the better known mask-based one, in the hope that the gay people there would be ones who were frankly a bit freaked out by the other app. Maybe I was wrong.

Ultimately in terms of meeting people I've got apps, and going out on the gay scene. (Unless I'm missing something.) The latter is generally ruled out on weeknights, and a lot of weekends, and so far I still find it difficult to meet someone when I go out on my own (which is most of the times I've gone out). And drinking all evening seems an expensive way to meet one or two people that might come to nothing.

Thanks. Though the difference is that most people (less so with gay people than straight people, but anyway) are inexperienced at roughly the same time as the people that they are chatting up.

Also last night I only covered the inexperience when explicitly asked, after he'd asked me how it had taken me so long to realise.

Well, best of luck. I really hope that things turn around soon. It's simultaneously comforting and not terribly hope-inducing to hear that you've been through something similar. My guess is that in my case it's not so much a worry that I might be straight, as a combination of (a) a (probably justified) expectation that I'll be a bit rubbish in bed for the short to medium term, (b) that I will quickly develop an obsession for them, in the style of Nathan for Stuart in the UK Queer as Folk, and (c) that I might generally have related issues to work out.

I mention the recently-figured-things-out thing on at least one online dating website. Things had been a bit slow there, so I moved on to the flame-based app without mentioning it. The plan had been to mention it when actually meeting people. But the matter was kind of forced last night.

I know I'm only chiming with what a lot of people on this sub-forum are thinking, but ye gods I wish I'd gone through this ten years ago.

7. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if where you are the apps and sites are the only option but I really think you won't encounter this issue--or at least will encounter it less--if you actually meet people face to face first.

I was really upfront about how new it all was for me and that was one of the main things I talked about with other gay people when I first came out. People thought it was charming and basically came out of the woodwork to show me the ropes.

But I wasn't meeting people on apps or sites, I was meeting people in bars, the gym, the beach and the like. My suggestion would be to try to meet people in situations where you are just meeting people, rather than trying to meet them to date. In those kind of settings inexperience is interesting, novel, something to talk about. If you have your sights on someone as Mr. Right or even just Mr. Right Now, inexperience is another can of worms and frankly if you are just swiping left and right, well, I can kind of see why people move on. Dismissing an actual person sitting in front of you for that though just seems sort of silly.

So, again my suggestion would be to try just meeting people (yeah gay people) face to face. Talk about politics, talk about television. Have conversations where your lack of experience sounds like "wow, he's going through such an interesting time in his life" rather than the type of conversations where it comes off as "wow, will he know where to put it?". The dating and even the sex, if you want that, will come soon enough.

8. Alianthe

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If you want to meet someone face to face without doing 'the scene', have you tried looking for "meetup" groups? Obviously it will depend where you live, and it is much easier in a city, but generally there will be some not too far from most places. Here in Edinburgh there is a meetup group called 'unScene Edinburgh', which is for guys who are through with the scene, or never did the scene etc - they do after work pub meets, cinema trips, walks, climbing, dinners (there's an equivalent one for women, which is how I stumbled across this). There may be something similar where you live . There are also quite a few different interest groups here for lgbt people to meet and get to know each other - e.g. film groups, book groups, outdoorsy groups. I found quite a lot of these through a combination of 'meetup' and google - so you may be able to find some near you. Plus a lot of these events are free...

9. Viator

You could edit your online profile to warn off those who are only looking for a hookup. Indicate your are seeking something more social. I promise, there are peole out there who will meet you for a cup of coffee, or a beer, and then do it all over again, even without the chance to see you naked :slight_smile:. Don't give up is my point.

10. Bearfix

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've had a date shut down after pics back and too, it just shut down simply because that last pic shown that I had a very averaged sized tattoo on my forearm from over 20 yrs ago, how narrow minded is that, not even offense or anything, I'm glad it did tbh after that.

11. CuriousLiaison

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in London... so really don't have many excuses on that front.

Yeah, I've made two or three gay friends since coming out. Though actually it was a couple of them that persuaded me to use assorted apps to meet people! Would like to meet more, I just need to find more opportunities to do that.

Okay, while London might provide many opportunities to meet people, the beach is not one of them! Thanks for the advice. Appreciated.

Yeah, it is probably the case that my use of that app was prompted by an amount of impatience. And also it kind of being the unimaginative, obvious way of moving forward.

I actually don't mind the scene too much. At least in Soho it's fairly inoffensive. I haven't been out in Vauxhall which might be another kettle of fish. My trouble with the scene is that my experience so far has been that it's easier to start talking to other people if you're there with someone else already, rather than just going on your own and hoping that other people will be happy for you to join their conversations.

But thanks for the advice, will try to find similar in London.

And thanks to the others who responded as well!

12. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Okay, while London might provide many opportunities to meet people, the beach is not one of them!"

Hehe, well, there is the Men's Pond at Hampstead Heath! I visited it for the first time a few weeks ago. I was shocked at how much of a scene it is :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

#12 OnTheHighway, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  13. CuriousLiaison

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My normal running route goes past there! Might drop in for a mid-run break next time...

Mind you it is getting quite cold.

#13 CuriousLiaison, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015