1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Knocked down right out of the gate

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Zen fix, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I found EC last week and have held off writing anything serious while I read some older posts. There seems to be some very caring thoughtful individuals here which is encouraging. So here's my piece.

I'm married with kids. I love my family deeply and every decision I make is to make things good for them. From the outside things appear pretty normal. After many years of denial I figured out I was bi just over a year ago. I was raised as a hardcore right-wing Christian which probably explains much of why I'm slow on the uptake. So for the past year I've struggled with what to do with this new knowledge about myself. I finally started to see a therapist a few months ago and came out to her first after a few sessions. The question then was when or if I should tell my wife.

I fretted about this for a long time. On the one hand it seemed stupid to tell her as I had not been with a man and may not ever be. But I was often riddled with guilt for keeping a secret from her that had the potential to affect her life too. I finally decided to tell her a couple weeks ago. It didn't go well. She got really scared and angry. She believes I've been seeing someone or that I am going to leave. I tried to answer her questions but a lot of what I said was misconstrued. She may want a divorce. Now it's the silent treatment. I knew this could be a possibility but felt it was a worse case scenario.

I get why she's angry. I'm trying to keep cool and let her breathe a bit. This bit of time the experience is pretty painful though. I'm hanging on to the faith that someday I'll be able to tell my kids that it is ok to be who they are and to love who they want.

2. AsheTheHuman

Aww :frowning2: Sorry to hear all that. Perhaps you could take her to see the counselor with you? If she agrees of course. Also, I just want to say how amazing it is for you to be going through such an awful experience and for you to be concerned with your kids and being able to teach them that love is love. I know everyone here is rooting for you. ^_^

3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do not mean to sound selfish, but you commented "every decision I make is to make things good for them"; but it seems while you have been doing that for them, you left yourself out of living for yourself. And, it is OK to think about yourself and live for yourself and be whom your are supposed to be.

I also have told myself that I want my kids "to be who they are and to love who they want"; but what I was really telling myself was that I wanted to be whom I should be and love whom I want to love.

Good luck on your Journey!

#3 OnTheHighway, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  4. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you, I didn't take it negatively. Of course I'm no saint, and living this way is definitely being something of a martyr which is it's own brand of selfishness. Lots of issues to sort out in addition to being bi. She actually did speak to me this morning so I'm hoping it's a sign she is feeling better.

5. CapColors

Hey there! Wow, I identify with your situation! I am bi too and terrified of coming out to my husband even though, a) I have not been unfaithful and have no intention of being so and b) have never been with a woman and c) want to continue in the marriage.

I think that the key is assuring her of all of the a b c's above without apologizing for who you ARE. At least I HOPE that's the key, because that's what I'm going to have to do.

Although, I have to ask, how are you living like a martyr if you are bi and monogamous? Do you mean that you feel like you deserve a same sex experience even though you are married? Or do you just feel like you want to publicly acknowledge that you are bi?

6. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ah, what I meant was this whole thing of living just for the kids. I know a lot of us parents do that and I don't think it's particularly healthy.

7. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As you suggested, give her some space, but also be sure to give her your ear as well. If there was one mistake I made, I thought my ex wife's ability to process everything would go much faster than it did. After 19 years, I was selfishly impatient. I was clueless as to what to expect from her, did not know what the grieving process would entale nor how my kids would react. Take it a step at a time and let them digest at their own pace.

8. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Definitely good advice OntheHighway. I'm not a patient person so waiting to hear where she will land on this is compounding the other difficult emotions I'm experiencing.

9. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well my wife finally wanted to talk last night. Unfortunately at this point she feels she can't reconcile this new piece of information. She wants to split after the school year is over. My heart is broken and I know hers is too. My idea to be honest and forthright with her now seems really stupid.

10. CapColors

Oh, I am so sorry. My heart goes out to you.

11. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's early days, and unless I'm mistaken, the school year has just begun. I think you can expect things to look very different by the end of the school year.

12. CapColors

That's a good point. Maybe try and keep the lines of communication open and see if she'll attend a support group or therapy with you.

13. bi2me

Pflag might have some support groups. I hope things are able to work out in a way that supports you all.

14. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So far she is saying she wants this to be as easy on the kids and us as possible. I'm trying to stay positive and I know we have some time so it is possible for things to change. If I'm honest with myself I know this may really be for the best in the long run. We are both pretty unhappy and even though we try to hide that fact from the kids I'm sure they are picking up more than we know.

This part just sucks. Thinking of all the sacrifices and hard times we already made it through. Even though we weren't great things felt stable and like they would eventually turn for the better. But, perhaps I was fooling myself. I probably was, still in the closet in my 30s is probably proof that I'm good at that.

15. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Given that you have a school year until the changes go into effect, there should be plenty of time to work things out.

If you are bisexual, there is no reason why you cannot stay married and monogamous to your wife unless your attraction to men is significantly stronger than your attraction to women. But I think I'm hearing that there might be other issues with the marriage as well that might make divorce a good thing in the long run.

Whatever happens, please continue to do right by your children.

#15 SiennaFire, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  16. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just an update. This is still a roller coaster. She is talking to me again so that has been helpful. I'm out of town for the weekend visiting some family, the space is making it a bit easier to think. I have been able to bring the conversation around to whether we can work this out. There have been other ongoing issues with our relationship, my orientation was just the straw the broke the camel's back. We would have to work through those as well as this. But at least we're talking, and she's being civil.

I have to say that seeing the other married people's posts have been extremely helpful. I'm glad so many others are willing to share your stories.

#16 Zen fix, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  17. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Its good that your wife is trying to be more civil. My ex has said the other night that she would like building a friendship, but she also cried again saying how much she loves me and stuff. We had a lot of other problems as well, and I told her she shouldn't over romantisize things because its not like the sudden implosion of a glorious love affair. Things had not been great in a while and stepping back I just see how fundamentally different we are.

18. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately, you should be prepared for and expect the roller coaster to be your new norm. You will bounce from peaks and valleys as your wife processes your sexuality. In general the wave amplitude decreases over time ...

#18 SiennaFire, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  19. CapColors

Hang in there, dude. Best wishes.

20. steve200

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Good for you! What you did takes courage. You told your wife something out of love and it is something that may ultimately bring you closer, in what ways exactly only time will tell. Once you really recognized it or acknowledged it, you told her, that is not a bad thing. You did the right thing and regardless of the outcome, one day she will understand that. Understandably, she is still processing it.

You're bisexual, as many people are, I am also bi and recently began "coming out" or acknowledging the homosexual side, if you will. There are many people that will never do what you have done, which is being honest to yourself about it and to someone you love. Regardless of whether or not they are in a heterosexual relationship or not, if everyone that is gay or bi came out tomorrow, people would see how truly common it really is. If people were comfortable and brave enough to admit and talk about bisexuality, neighbors, coworkers and friends and family would surprise each other with how common it is. I'm rambling, back to the topic... although my situation is much less complicated I understand it can be difficult to be bisexual as opposed to being 100% gay, or of course 100% straight. I met a few people, straight and gay, that just don't seem to get it, as if you can be only gay or straight and nothing else. Its not that black and white. However, I think that maybe there are more people who are bisexual than simply straight or gay, they just might lean more in one direction, and they are just afraid of what it means to acknowledge/confront it, especially "straights". Those that come out or explore this side of themselves, those who decide to just be honest/open are brave, regardless of when they open up to it. There are also some that may just be envious of the pros of being bi as well.

You did the right thing, your life and that of your family will be richer for it. Since you're bi, you can be with a man or a woman, all you did was open up to a woman you love, now she must do what feels right to her and eventually you and your wife/mother of your kids will be at peace and have a stronger/closer understanding of each other... regardless of if you stay together.

---------- Post added 28th Sep 2015 at 07:56 PM ----------

I hope nobody takes some of my statements the wrong way, I'm not great at articulating my thoughts. I tried editing it to make myself clearer, but I couldn't. Anyway, best of luck to you on your journey.

#20 steve200, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015