1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Failed coming out. I'm a selfish jerk.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Pathetic Coward, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Pathetic Coward

Title might be too much. But this is hard. Sorry for the pity party.

I had a weak moment and today I tried to do the one thing I swore I wouldn't do. I was on the phone with my elderly father. I have nothing but respect and love for him. He has his flaws, many of them drastic, but he's my dad. We've had our ups and downs, mostly due to the business but I felt we were in really good place, now that the pressure was off (work/home blurred some lines).

I know the pain he's endured to make the life he has for his family, both at work and home.

I had called to talk about a family event on Saturday. To be honest my life has been a mess for almost ten years, when I took over the family business and lost it 5-6 years later during the housing down turn (skilled trade).

His slogan has been "find something you can be reasonably happy doing and move on" as the job I'm working now is both dead end and anti social(nights).

I shouldn't have brought it up. I knew better. But I all could think was, "how can I be happy, alone, if I could do that I would've kept the business going/ not be where I am."

So I dance around it, talking about how I didn't marry in my 20s. Then talked about how I choose the wrong major in college, how they had steered me away from the arts. My dad had just crinkled his face until I picked something else. My mom took me aside, later, and said. "You know there's a lot of f-gs in the theatre."

I knew better. Good thing this was on the phone and I didn't have to pull mom down from the ceiling.

Then I asked him. "Dad, I'm 38 years old. When have I ever brought a woman around?"

Which he responded by saying I need to get out more. Join a bowling league or a church. Aka find a woman.

"I'm saying I'm one of those, Dad."

"No. You're not."

Not hateful. Just a flat rejection, as if I had just said water wasn't wet. He said my job left me with too much time to think. Which might be true.

I asked him if we could pretend this conversation never happened. Tomorrow is going to be bad. I think I'll just avoid the issue. Maybe even not go.

What hurts more than anything is how flat he was about it. I know I hurt him more than he let on. I should have kept my mouth shut.

I don't know what I expected. But this wasn't it.

I might well be straight and insane. A bitter old chauvinist/misogynist getting what he deserves (went though a hard core "women are a bad deal" phase in my mid 20s aka marrying age). Anything's possible. But a little support would've been nice. Even "I can see how you could worry about that, but don't be silly" would've been better.

I know I hurt him. I should've kept quiet.

Now I'm doubting myself in almost every way. And feeling like a jerk/monster for hurting someone I really care about.

Maybe I'm just crazy.

PC

#1 Pathetic Coward, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  2. CameronMR

You can't take on his emotions. You can't be responsible for his emotions. You have enough dealing with your own. You are who you are, he is who he is, no amount of bigotry or peace will change that.

I'm sorry you had to go through emotional hurt.(*hug*)

---------- Post added 18th Sep 2015 at 07:02 PM ----------

Also, being true to yourself does not make you a selfish jerk.

3. heyKittie

No. Your name should be Courageous Queer not Pathetic Coward. You were very brave to come out to him, and you are not selfish at all. You told him the truth, And he just can't accept it yet. I think he knows its true, he's just in denial. I'm sure he will come around eventually, but I'm sorry about what happened. I send logs of love. :hugs: just know that you are amazing the way you are, and stay strong.

4. Domo2016

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You sir are far too hard on yourself! You are definitely NOT pathetic. If your dad had to walk in your shoes and feel the frustration you had to keep to yourself he would understand. Unfortunately he's from a different generation. I think you know deep down that you deserve happiness. You sound like a great guy and at 38 you are still very young. You didn't hurt him in my opinion. He is still probably processing things given his age. I wouldn't take it too personally. He loves you regardless. If you ever wish to talk about things man feel free to PM me. Just know that your not alone, things will work out!

5. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    U absolutely should have had the discussion and do not second guess it. It's your life., not his. You should be proud of yourself for reaching the point you did; and do not let him or this weekend take that away from you.

6. Moonflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You are incredibly brave to come out to your father. You told him the truth about yourself. What he thinks about it is on him, not you. Your decision to tell him or not tell him was your own- you did what you needed to do. You are exceptionally brave. I cannot even seriously entertain the idea of telling my father right now. No way. Yes, you're very, very brave.

7. Faazi

Firstly, do not be so had on yourself. Keeping quiet about your sexuality for such a long time is not a good place to be in.

Then, from what i gather this is the first time that you have actually told your dad about your sexuality. If so, don't be too harsh on him either. He needs to deal with in it being in his face now for the first time. He probably knew, most parents do, and just tried to avoid it all this time. Don't back off completely either. Find more gentle ways to show him that while you love him immensely, but that you are who you are and that you will be much happier if he could find a way to accept it. Good parents always want their children to be happy, ultimately.

Much strength and positive thoughts to you as you face these challenges.

8. Chicagoblue

I am not really out yet. But there are only a few people I'm going to proactively come out to when the time is right. I applaud you for your attempt at an adult conversation with your parents. They have what is called the FIXED MINDSET. This is a new heavily researched area of psychology (truly legit). They have always, in their core, felt that they had the vision for your life. You've strayed from that vision and they have been stuck in their's. So, some disappointment and bitterness to throw into the family stew. You tried....move on with your life, your loves. Keep moving forward without being mean to those who can't, or won't, keep up.

9. Pathetic Coward

Thanks everyone. Sorry to vent/rant like I did. Great advice all around.

Did the family thing today and it didn't come up. Avoided any real alone time other than small talk and hello/goodbye. I think the entire "this conversation never happened" took.

I think the real lesson for me is I've got to stop being a daddy's boy and go live my life. His approval means too much. Doesn't help I'm trapped in small town USA where I just know that doing anything LGBT related would start the gossip snowball and get back to him in a negative way.

That and I'm short on friends I can trust (IE real friends) these days so I either need to take the jump, find a therapist, or both.

Thanks again, all.

PC

10. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds to me like you know yourself pretty well. Now it's just a question of putting knowledge into action!

11. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I think what you did was very brave. You should find a way to bring the issue up once again and this time they should really hear you out. Telling your parents the truth I think is a very important step and one you might regret if you don't.

12. rachael1954

You took a big step, I agree with others that A) you were brave and B) your family may be in denial.

I'm proud of your courage.

13. TheSeeker

Sounds like you're on your way! Keep us posted

14. 50ishandout

It's a process. Coming Out just doesn't mean telling people, it also means you need to give yourself time to accept your new you.

Give Dad some time, I'm sure he'll see things differently before you know it.

15. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Worrying about others feelings doesn't make you selfish at all. It makes you selfless and that becomes a problem when you are denying your own desires and feelings all for the sake of sparing someone else. My Dad passed several years ago and he never knew about my struggles with my sexuality. The fact that you were brave enough to at least try and confront the issue with him is more than I was ever capable of. Be proud of yourself, even if he didn't respond as you had hoped he would, it showed a lot of courage to do so just the same. At least in trying to be honest with him you are taking the shot at having a more genuine relationship. One that isn't dancing around this secret you feel you have to keep.

16. SnowshoeGeek

Frankly, you give me courage.

I like to play a thought experiment sometimes, if I'm being especially hard on myself. I ask, what would I tell my best friend if she went through this?

So, if you have a dear brother or dear male friend or can imagine such - what would you tell him about this if he'd gone through it?

17. Pathetic Coward

Thanks again everyone for the support and perspectives.

Made an appointment with a counselor for Friday. During the phone interview (for lack of a better word) I could barely explain myself and didn't get to the "and I'm pretty sure I'm gay/bi/not straight." Was all I could do to choke out, "38, in a rut, can't move on."

This mental health thing is hard, too.

But he does deal with sexuality/identity issues (even quoted/linked Dan Savage on his blog) so hopefully it won't phase him when I bring it up.

Part of me is still holding out hope that I'm just straight and insane, trying to use sexuality as a magic bullet to explain why my life's the mess it is. But that's fine.

If nothing else I clearly don't have/aren't using the life tools needed to deal with myself right now. That alone is worth a visit.

Thanks again, everyone

PC

#17 Pathetic Coward, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  18. bi2me

If he's listening to Dan Savage, I can't imagine that much would faze him. Good luck and keep us posted!

19. BidiKlum

You need to change your handle, PC!! Good for you for getting a conversation started - even if it doesn't go anywhere for a while, it is giving your dad some time to come to grips with it. Good luck and yay for a Dan Savage quoting therapist!! :slight_smile: xx

20. piano71

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your appointment conversation was a lot like when I first saw a counselor to discuss the issue of my sexual orientation. I said I had an "impasse" in my life that I couldn't figure out how to get past. Then it took about 10 minutes of me hemming and hawing during the first session before I finally said I am gay.

Any therapist who quotes / links Dan Savage articles is going to be very open-minded about issues surrounding human sexuality. I like what Dan Savage has to say, though I have to admit, at times I'm taken aback at how blunt and direct he is when discussing sex.

Only you know if you're "straight and insane" or gay. I re-read your initial post, but it didn't say so much about what attractions or sexual fantasies you know you have. While the arts have traditionally been a haven for gay men, interest and talent in the arts/theatre is not an indication of being gay. In fact, that thing your mom said about "f*gs in the theatre" is a prime example of how homophobia can harm straight men. Straight guys who like acting may get steered out of the field due to the stigma of "appearing gay."

The therapist I worked with thought attractions/fantasies are the best indicator whether someone is gay, straight, bi, confused, or whatever...

If your attractions are mostly toward other guys, you're likely gay. The lack of motivation to date women could also be an indication. In my observation, straight guys put up with a lot of shit from women because they can't resist women no matter how hard they try...