1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My story..

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Soulstone, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am not sure why I am writing this. I guess it's just the need to tell someone about my hidden feelings and hopefully get some support.
    On the surface my life looks like this - hapily married, dream job, wonderful kids, house and nice friends. In reality I am feeling lost every single day. Few years ago I had sex with my best friend. We were both drunk and it somehow happened. I remember this absolutely intense feeling of desire. All of me responded to her..
    Since then we have on/off affair, but remain friends. It is difficult, but doable. She still thinks she only has a crush on me and has no interest in other women. I, however, decided to find out if I could be interested in other women besides her. Soon I met an amazing girl. She was (still is) a lesbian and we instantly fell for each other. The connection was unbelievable, but soon I realised I only want sex from her, I didn't feel emotionally or romantically attached to her at all. So I broke up with her because I believed she deserves someone who would love her.
    Since then I am back to happy married life, but I still can't forget how I felt when I was with a woman. I can't say I hate having sex with my husband, but it is not the same. Now when I look back at my life, I see that there was some moments I was attracted to women, but I just didn't want to admit it. I have decided I will not have sex with women anymore, because it just makes me feel worse afterwards. I want to be able live "normal" life, I want my kids to live under the same roof with their dad, I want to be able be sexually active with my husband..And I don't want to feel so sad all the time. Any advice?

2. bi2me

Does your husband know about your orientation or the women you've been with?

3. IrishJ

I see no benefit in sharing the "past" information with your husband as I am sure that would be painful, but - if you want to have your cake and eat it too - what about bringing someone else into your bedroom together? just a thought

4. AllThingsBright

I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you what I did in a similar situation. Maybe it will help, maybe not. My husband and I went into our marriage knowing that I wasn't an old-fashioned kind of girl. Occasionally, someone would show up on my radar as I imagine they do in most marriages. Even my marriage was far from perfect, it was happy enough and I had responsibilities. I was able to have "intimate friendships" (platonic, but emotionally satisfying) with some of those people and still keep my promises. Others, I would acknowledge the feelings and then let them go. It was a conscious choice and it worked for me. YMMV

5. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you all for your responses.. I know I have broken the promises I gave my husband already, but it was important for me to be sure these fantasies are real. I know many women here just fantasize about having sex with woman, but they don't know how they would actually feel about it if it happened. I KNOW and that makes huge difference.
    I can't tell my husband, he would never understand. He is very well respected in his work field and his circle of friends is quite homophobic, it just would not work for him to have wife like this :slight_smile: I knew were I married into, but at the time I was truly unaware I like women.
    I also doubt that threesome might be an option..Deep down I am very traditional, I believe in monogamy (ironic, right?) and romantic, emotionally fulfilled relationships between two people..
    P.S. Sorry, if my language sounds weird sometimes, English is not my first language :slight_smile:

6. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

This is tough Soulstone, and I empathize with you. Life is rarely ideal.
    I take it you are still in a very close relationship with your best friend,
    and even having sexual intimacy with her at times? Or are you trying to
    keep it platonic?

I know it is very hard to live out of line with your values, yet also hard to live
    with longings you feel you can't fulfill.

I had a friend in a similar situation (minus children), but who did not feel close to her husband at all and vice versa, who decided she had to quit pretending and leave her marriage. It cost her a lot, but she doesn't regret it. She didn't even leave him for a woman; she just wanted to be out of a loveless marriage and be herself.

I guess if the emotional intensity with your husband was higher, the sex would be better? Can you spice it up, or don't you want to?

One thing I heard once is sometimes the husband knows; he just doesn't want you to be "in his face" with it. Could this be possible?

I'm sorry you're going through this turmoil. :frowning2:

#6 Open Arms, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  7. AllThingsBright

Soulstone, please don't think that I'm judging you for your choices. Do what's best for you and the ones you love. We all have our own path to walk. I'm just sharing my own experience, not holding it up as some kind of model of righteousness. Lord knows, I'm as broken as they come.

8. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Open Arms, thank you for your post ❤ About that girl - she is my friend, we work together, besides she also has a man in her life who would not be happy if he knew.. Although I think he suspects something, she once told me he asked her during sex if she wants me instead of him..But she was drunk when she told me that, so I'm not 100% sure I can believe that. I hve promised myself we will never have sex again, she is my friend and this situation already has made a negative impact on our relationship - I sometimes feel that she is nervous around me and that's the first step to loosing her friendship.
    About my husband - I think he might suspect something, but as you wrote, he doesn't want me to come and tell him that in the face. Maybe he thinks it's just a phase. As he once joked - you have always been a little bit crazy :slight_smile: To be honest, I am trying really hard to spice up things with him- sometimes it works :slight_smile: There are other issues as well, not just my sexuality. We work on that, but at this point I feel quite lonely..

AllThingsBright
    I don't think you judge me, not at all! You shared your experience and that helped me a lot. The truth is we can never be sure about our decisions, even if it seems to work at the moment, it is impossible to know what will happen in the long run.

9. bigeagle

Hi soulstone, I've read a few of your posts and can relate. I moved out from my wife and baby boy about 2 years ago. Throughout my aduly life I've had relationships with women but something always nagged away in the background. I've not had sex with a guy although I did experiment when I was a kid. Now that your back with your husband.... Does it FEEL RIGHT? Or is there something deep down within you causing pain and suffering?

All the best x

10. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Bigeagle

Thank you for your post. To be honest, at this point staying married feels right. Mostly because I am still figuring out who I am and what I need to be happy. I realize I've made commitments in the past and the fact that I wasn't aware of my orientation, doesn't give me right to break them. I am still in the process of coming out to myself. It took me a while to realize all this is real and it's not going away :slight_smile: Lately I finally feel ok about the fact I like more than one gender. I don't feel ashamed if I catch myself checking out hot waitress or just a stranger on the bus. It's a big step for me personally, to welcome this part of me and even love it.

11. CalzonaFan

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi i just want to say it is completely your choice if you want to stay married to your husband and be with your family. I am happy for you that you are trying to figure things out and I believe as long as you know what you want in your heart, everything will be alright! Plus most people do check out hot waitress/waiter or a cute stranger anyway, so you are not alone. Happy New Year!

12. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    CalzonaFun

Thank you and Happy New Year to you too :slight_smile: I just feel like I have only woken up now and everything is new to me..

13. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Soulstone, thanks for sharing your story with us. It is a difficult situation, isn't it? Hard to know what is for the best. But you are still quite young. 35 is really not old at all. You have time to think about this and think what you really want out of life, and make an informed decision. No need to rush into anything.

14. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

Happy New Year Soulstone! I wish you peace and happiness as you sort things out. Sometimes we can't have everything.

I know how it is to love someone who is not totally available to me whether it be because they are married, due to religious beliefs or because their feelings changed. Being able to keep these beloved ones as special friends and maintain a platonic love relationship with three people I have been/am in love with has been enough for me. Some of us can be happy and content with that; others can not. I guess for you, time will tell.

15. rachael1954

I felt all kinds of things too, when I surprised myself by ending up in bed with my now gf.

If she would dump me, I may or may not stay married to my husband in the long run, but I would always think back on and cherish my time with her. Kissing her changed my entire life. I now have angst and longing constantly.

So basically I look at it like my marriage as I knew it is over. You can never go back and un-know what you now know. How I responded to a woman in bed will always be with me. Knowing I'm capable of romantic relationship feelings with a woman changed everything I thought I knew about myself.

So now I guess the question is what to do with this information? Remember the event as a happy memory to get through hard times? Put extra effort into reconnecting with the husband emotionally and sexually? Or just altogether lose motivation to be married?

I feel like you - have everything I always wanted and now... do I want it anymore?

16. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know what you mean..And another question - why do I feel like something has been stolen from me?

17. bi2me

I think this is a good question too. For me, it was the simplicity of life that I mourned (which was in itself a myth). As I explored further, I realized that a lot of the "deadness" I felt inside was due to not being true to myself in most ways (sexuality being a part of it, small but significant), and I needed to find "me" again. It was sexuality (along with feeling more myself while on vacation with old friends) that triggered the awakening, but wasn't the end for me.

18. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree completely. Now I actually begin to think - how does it even possible not to notice who you are for so long? It means that I might be missing other things too. Because person who listens to him/herself would never miss anything so significant, right? That means I basically just play some role, but not LIVE. That makes me really sad, because I don't know if I have enough strenght and courage to look for all the answers..

19. GatheredStatice

I understand your desire to maintain the commitment to traditional monogamy.
    I am out to my husband and he has very traditional views regarding monogamy and that is what has prevented me from acting on my desire to be with a woman. I wish I knew because I feel that would help me decide if I would be happier to stay married or divorce, but acting on my desire will bring divorce and I could not keep an affair a secret from him.

20. GatheredStatice

I feel like I have just been playing a role, as a scared child running away from some unknown fear through a forest with no idea which direction is the path to safety.

Now that I have started to take the time to look at my life....and try to make sense of it all; I feel so stupid that I couldn't see what should have been so obvious.
    I still don't know if I am a lesbian or a bisexual that has strong preference for women. I am having trouble reconciling my history with my husband and the idea that I could really be a lesbian.

I know how sad it can feel, but try and be glad in the fact that you can start to see yourself for who you are, even if you don't look for all the answers right away.
    Answers don't come quickly.
    I admitted to myself that I was bisexual just over 6 years ago, quickly after that I came out to my husband. Before that I was in serious denial. I seriously thought I could pray, fast, force that part of me away. (looking back on it now, I am embarrassed that I was so idiotic.)
    Then I woke up and realized I was 30 years old and no matter what I did that part of me was always going to be there. I stopped running away from it.
    That is when I started to ask questions of myself and it hasn't been easy. I don't have answers yet and that makes me sad. I'm 36 and I am unsure of my sexual orientation. Yet I am glad because I have stopped running away from myself. I may not know or understand the person I see when I look into a mirror, but I am not afraid of her anymore.