1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do you find support groups?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Distant Echo, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Distant Echo

I'm looking for support groups in my area and the only one I can find is for youth.

How do you find support groups when you don't have anyone to ask?

The local hospital has counselling services, but, due to reasons I really don't want to go into, I don't want anything to do with them. they might also be able to point me in the right direction, but they are so closely affiliated with other services, I won't ask them.

I live in Western Victoria in Australia, and don't want a local group, just nearby.

2. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If all you found is a youth support group, contact their organizer. Tthey can probably direct you. Might take a little while, but the organizers of LGBT support groups tend to keep in contact some.

3. Distant Echo

I would have to do that anonymously as It is run through the local hospital and hell no.
    My problem is I don't want a group in my local town, but one not too far away. But I get the feeling that all groups around here are going to be run by the same organisation which I avoid.

4. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    try looking for a local/near by Pflag group. they are very helpful.

5. Distant Echo

Thanks for the idea. Mind you, the nearest one's website is down. But I've emailed them. Baby steps.

6. Willa

I see you're in Australia, so I can't speak for what resources are available to you there, but in the US we have organizations that have small divisions in each major city. You could try looking for something like that. Generally speaking, searching around online for lists of resources is usually the best way to go about it. Ask around with your queer friends. And if there isn't anything in your area, maybe it's time for you to create something. :icon_bigg

7. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  8. Distant Echo

Yeah, I tried emailing the closest group, but it appears they don't bother to respond. Just tried the parent group. I even tried lifeline but they couldn't find anything either.

I don't have any queer friends to ask, unfortunately. And no, not a chance of me creating anything in this town. I wouldn't attend a group here if there was one, let alone create one.

9. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well, remember that these are volunteers so it may take awhile for them to get back. it did for me when i first reached out to PflagNL here in Newfoundland. keep at it, you'll find something.(*hug*)

10. Distant Echo

Argh! So frustrating.
    9 days since contacting the nearest pflag. Nothing. Contacted the Victorian pflag. Nothing.

Giving this one more go. Sent an email to yet another group last night. Hoping they might actually respond.

Seriously though. If you are contacting these groups, it is because you need help. Now I'm not going to self harm and I'm not a desperate parent seeking help for their kid, but they dont know that. How do they not check emails?
    I think I would be climbing the walls if I didnt have this place to turn to. God knows how people who are desperate are coping.
    There is simply no support available quickly. I've never encountered anything like this before.

11. Distant Echo

Ok i give up. Last group I emailed doesn't bother to respond either. Not gonna keep on putting myself through this.

12. High Art

So frustrating!! I hope you keep searching. Have you tried meetup?

13. Distant Echo

I don't even know what meetup is?
    I'm just over this. It shouldnt be this hard to get in touch with these groups. I've run out of ideas.

14. TheStormInside

I know how you feel, mirror. I've found zero support groups for my demographic in my area, as well. More frustratingly, we have support groups for practically every *other* demographic. I too tried PFLAG, and they were ok, but it was definitely not the right group for me. Mostly older parents there for their LGBT kids.

I've looked to meetup, myself, but I haven't gotten up the courage to actually attend any kinds of meetups. Meetup is a website where people create groups based on all kinds of interests or activities, with the intent of meeting up in person. You should check it out and see if there are LGBT groups in your area that may be of interest to you.

15. TeaTree

Where I live there is literally nothing like that. I'm not even trying to find anything like that anymore. Also there is no meetup thing either. If you open the map on meetup.com searching under the lgbt label, in this part of the world there is a big gap...

I'd probably be super awkward in these kinds of settings anyway :slight_smile: So I'm more into meeting people organically and then hoping that some of them will magically just come out to me or something :slight_smile:
    Maybe this is where coming out would actually prove it's usefulness - I mean mine. But not there yet...

16. Distant Echo

Yeah, I just had a look. There is one group sort of in my area, but a full face clear photo is required to join, and then is visible to all members.
    Quite apart from the fact there is no such photo of me in existence, (the last time i had my photo taken was for my drivers license and i wasn't happy with that) I'm not out. There is no way in hell I'd be putting a photo of myself up online outing myself like that to complete strangers. It's one thing at a group where I walk away if I'm not comfortable, but online? Online data never disappears.
    The only other group is too far away.

---------- Post added 16th Oct 2015 at 10:48 AM ----------

I know i would be super awkward. And I'm nowhere near coming out. Except to one person. To her, I think I'll find myself saying it before I realise it. And I don't think I'll be coming out as bi....

17. Really

I think the reason they want a photo is for security sake. They want to be sure you're a woman - I'm guessing it's a lesbian group? Ask someone to take a picture of you, off in the distance, doing laundry or something. That should prove you're a woman. I'm sure it doesn't have to be a closeup. There's a group here that also wants a face photo but it doesn't have to be your profile pic. It can just be in your album.

If the group is closed, nobody but members can see you and if you happen to know a member, wouldn't that be cool to have some support? And they're unlikely to out you.

18. Distant Echo

I don't have my photo taken. Full stop. Not for years. And it states clear face shot....noooooo. And I wouldn't want anyone from this hellhole of a town to be on there - that's why I won't consider a local group - not that there are any anyway.

And I may scream. The Only site I've contacted that has actually bothered to contact me trying to link me with a group...just sent me details for a site for gay men.......:***:

#18 Distant Echo, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015