1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out, take 3

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Oct 5, 2015.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope you guys aren't getting sick of my posts about coming out to my siblings... But you all really helped me rethink a bit about my last letter, especially Cap. Your comment, if you're reading, Cap, made me realise how angsty and emotional my last version of my letter was. I came up with a new one, which I hope is more confident and less full of agony and woe is me, but still captures the importance if the message...

What do you guys think?

-----
    Hey!

Just felt like sending you a quick note.

I'm hoping, actually, that I could get your support on something. I suppose this is a conversation you're supposed to have face to face, but that's not going to happen with us anytime soon, and anyway, we're family, so whatever way we manage to connect, is all good, right? :slight_smile:

To get straight to the point, I'm not sure how obvious or non-obvious this is to you, but I've always known from a young age that I'm bi. It's always been a part of my identity, but for various reasons over time I guess it's not been something that's come up that much, but I have decided recently that being visible about it matters a bit more to me.

A couple things have occurred to me lately that have made me think that maybe it's important to share and talk about... First and foremost, it's not a secret, it shouldn't have to be and there's no reason I need to be uncomfortable or quiet about it.
    Also, recently, in [my MA university], I was a mentor to a girl who is bi, and talking with her about her struggles to come to terms with it, and the need for her to have a community and finding someone to talk with brought back a lot for me. And most recently, just thinking about Mia, wanting her to grow up in an environment where she feels like nothing about her personal identity should be off the table, makes me think as well, that this is something relevant to share.

Anyway, I posted an article on Facebook that really resonates with me and highlights some important issues to the bi community.

If you feel like reading, here it is:

More LGBT awareness about bisexuals and biphobia is needed | Metro News

Again, I hope this isn't weird doing this over email. But I know you love me no matter what and whatever I have to share, you'll likely be happy with however I share it. That's how I feel about you, anyway.

Love you!

---------- Post added 5th Oct 2015 at 12:21 AM ----------

I did it. I sent it. It's out there now....so when it's not the Middle of the night there, maybe they'll see it.

#1 baristajedi, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  2. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So now I'm out to my husband, my mom, 2 best friends and all my siblings. Once I'm out to my dad, and so long as I do not from this point on hide or censor myself... Well then I'll be what I consider to be fully out of the closet. I didn't really know if I could do this even just a week ago. It feels really good.

3. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My brother already wrote back, and he was incredibly supportive :slight_smile:!!

4. Really

Wow! Congrats! The letter was great and the results even better. Baristajedi for the win!

5. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks!!! I talked to one of my sisters now too and she was also very supportive :slight_smile:. I feel so differently today, like I'm suddenly free and I don't feel as inhibited or stuck inside my head. I feel sort of like now j can just feel, say and think whatever I really feel , say and think. Like the spaces I'm living in even though they're far from my family seem more safe because I've got their love and support. It's s very abrupt change in my feelings. Indescribable.

Today's a happy day.

#5 baristajedi, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  6. Really

7. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (!)

I just can't believe I haven't done this sooner. But I'm starting to let go of all that angst as well. My life is what it is, I chose to be more silent because I wasn't ready before now. Anyway, have my whole life ahead of me now :slight_smile:.

My brother's email started with "I'mvery proud of you." :slight_smile:. I feel so warm and happy reading it again.

8. Really

Dancing banana, indeed!

9. CapColors

Aw, yay!!!! Congrats honey! And I'm glad my comments were helpful! <3 <3

10. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks! And your comments were definitely helpful :slight_smile:. I really appreciate everybody's supportiveness here.