1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

came out to a friend.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by ebda30, Oct 6, 2015.

1. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    ...shes known ive been having some issues for some months. She toldme she wasdying to know what was going on.i said what the hell, you donr know anyone. And told her i was 95% sure my identifying as bisexual was not exactly accurate.

You know what she said? " I knew it!!" she said her gaydar went off the moment she met me(ive known her about a year now, shes gay). she says im not good at hiding it. But wtf, seriously. Of the two people I've told otherthan my husband neither were surprised.

Now im wondering if others know?? Makes me a little nervous. Butholy wow was it very nice to have this hugely open conversation with her. I had this huge walking on air feeling the whole time, she shared some of her coming out story and struggles and we are a bit similar so that was cool too.

Just wanted to share :slight_smile:

2. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's great! It's so nice to be able to get it out in the open with someone supportive!!! Very brave!! How are you feeling now? Still elated? :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 6th Oct 2015 at 01:44 PM ----------

Oh and just to add, I've had many people over the years tell me that they are sure I'm attracted to women. People can read your body language and your demeanour even when we're in denial ourselves.

#2 baristajedi, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  3. Chicagoblue

Let's say 5 others know...people that you know. Has anything changed?

People are pretty accepting.

4. CapColors

Hugs! I proud of you and glad it went so well!

Yeah, I've had the opposite experience; everyone I've told has been like REALLY NO WAY. I guess they all thought I was as straight as I thought I was.

#4 CapColors, Oct 6, 2015
  5. TeaTree

Congrats and thanks for sharing. Really happy for you :slight_smile:
    This is a reaction I'd like to get as well :slight_smile:

#5 TeaTree, Oct 6, 2015
  6. Thirdtimecharm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nice! It's great to have that feeling of being in like company right, and being able to be you and talk about it and not feel judged or have to feel filtered. One step at a time :slight_smile:

7. UniqueJourney

That's great! Doesn't it feel good to come out? It's like a huge burden lifted off your shoulders. You don't have to hide a part of yourself from that person anymore.

When I finally came out (at 31) I was shocked to learn that my mother had always suspected I was gay. She just figured if it was a phase I would grow out of it, and if not I would talk to her when I was ready.

And one of my best friends (we've known each other since we were about 4) told me she knew in high school. So while I was buried as deep in the closet as I could root myself, living in so much fear of losing those I loved...they knew and accepted me the whole time.

It was a huge weight lifted off of me to come out. To have their acceptance was an unexpected gift...but then to also realize that I'd lived so many years unnecessarily tormented...that was hard to swallow. If I'd only known as a young person that they knew and still loved me...it would have made a world of difference in my life.

So I make sure my own kids know unequivocally that I love them No. Matter. What. I tell them every opportunity I have.

I'm very happy for you ebda30. I think you'll find that the more people you come out to and the more your support network grows, the "lighter" you'll feel :slight_smile:

#7 UniqueJourney, Oct 6, 2015
  8. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people

I had a VERY down day the next day lop. Figures, just reality i guess.

Now i feel l good again it feels good, i wish she was someone that i was around a lot. Cause as far as aily interaction goes i still have to pretend and be qUiet

No, I guess not. I worry toomcuh about that i guess.

I do feel a lot nore open and lighter, sometimes i wish i could tell everyone, just not there yet. But confiding in the people i have told is so relieving.

9. go figure

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey congrats on telling your friend. It feels amazeballs to tell people, and have them just accept you. I've had a few people ask me if I was sure. I wanted to smack them upside the head lol.

10. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations! I came out to a friend not too long ago, and his reaction was, "I'm glad you're out :slight_smile:" Yes, a lot of the time, people already know! I'm glad it went well for you.