1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to first LGBTQIA event tonight!

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by SnowshoeGeek, Oct 8, 2015.

1. SnowshoeGeek

I can't believe it, I discovered an actual local organization that is putting on a "coming out" talk tonight! I am totally going! I am so unbelievably excited! I don't even know what I am going to say I "am" if anyone asks... just feels like I am going to be among people I don't have to hide from, for maybe the first time ever.... (!)(!)(!)

2. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's great Snowshoe!!! Report back :icon_bigg!

I'm hoping to go to an lgbt event on Saturday, fingers crossed the hubs doesn't have to end up working or something.

It's a creative writing event on using mythology/fantasy/etc to draw out themes related to your orientation/identity. I just want to be around other people in the same boat, but I LOVE to write so that aspect is exciting too.

3. CapColors

Yay!!!!! A big step!!!!

4. Bearfix

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Good on you and I hope it goes well for you.

It's also coming out day in a few days :slight_smile:

5. SnowshoeGeek

OMG, so much for my FB privacy settings expertise! My cousin "liked" this event I am going to tonight. I did RSVP on FB but I sure didn't see it in my feed! OMG! I guess I'm out now... :eek:

6. CapColors

You must report how it went!

Actually, you don't at all have to, but I'll read it if you do. :slight_smile:

7. Chicagoblue

I'd really like to hear a few tantalizing tidbits...

8. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sounds fun Snowshoegeek.

9. SnowshoeGeek

It wasn't a social event, but a PFLAG meeting with a speaker invited to talk about coming out. There was really good conversation as well as the first non-straight people I've met since moving to the Midwest...

I am really deep in thought, to be honest. It was so great to hear all these different people, some gay, some straight, even a couple of poly chicks, all being so supportive of all lifestyles.

I have the very profound sense that I have no idea what I am, I don't want to come out right now, since I don't know how I would come out. I'm a lifelong bisexual questioning the man part of that equation, really. It could take me years to figure it out. But I don't feel any pressure. That's not where I am right now. I am wanting just to expand my people and this seems like it will accomplish that in a big way. People I do not have to hide from

I truly feel that with patience and not worrying about it, I am going to get clarity. Whether it is bisexual or lesbian, it's going to feel right to me and so I won't have any stress anymore. No more labels for a while. :icon_bigg

10. CapColors

Good for you! I'm happy for you!

11. Moonflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Congrats. Will love to hear how it went. I'm wondering how different it is going to be in a group of people like ourselves. I'm going to a large coming out event on Sunday. I'm excited but a little nervous too, but that's the anxiety doing its thing. I'm going to let it do its thing and me do my thing. Maybe, as I suspect, the anxiety should be a LOT less. It already is in small settings so it should be better in a large group. Sounds like a lot of us are going to different events this weekend. Should be a good weekend.

12. SnowshoeGeek

A couple of things really stood out for me. There was this older, plaid-shirt, stereotypically farmer guy, one of whose daughters is gay. He was listening to the talking about polyamory, and he said, you need to get out there and talk about this stuff, so people will know about it! I was just blown away by his curiosity and openness to new ideas, and his hunger for knowledge in order to be a better parent.

And the lesbian sitting next to me said at one point, a person can have nothing but heterosexual experience their whole life and still be gay. People think having a partner of a particular gender makes them what they are. That hit me where I live, big time. Have I had male partners all my life to try not to be gay?

---------- Post added 9th Oct 2015 at 03:42 AM ----------

Oh, and something else too! Several of the parents there talked about knowing their child was gay early on. One couple said "we knew since he was about 2!" Makes me wonder. My father told me he knew when I was a child. I guess sometimes we are the last to know...