1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Queering up your wardrobe...ideas?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Oct 9, 2015.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's hard out there for a baby queer... I just really wanted to use that phrase, I read it an article yesterday:lol:

But it is in terms of figuring out what the hell we're doing. I'm starting to want everyone to know I'm queer, or at least to catch the eyes of other queers to sort of signal that I'm queer and proud. Yes, I think I'm starting to gain pride... Who'd have thought I could say that?

The only thing I can think of so far are short hair, rainbows, flannels, racer back/ribbed tees....all of which I kind of have integrated into my style at various times (well not the rainbows).

But I'm pretty out of touch with queer style, anynody have some ideas? Are any of you ladies/gentleman doing this for yourselves? Is it empowering? I want to sort of make a physical expression of my changing identity.

2. SnowshoeGeek

This is on my mind also... I looked on Amazon yesterday for rainbow bracelets and t-shirts and I did find a lot of really visible stuff... like the shirt that says NO ONE KNOWS I AM A LESBIAN. :lol::lol::lol::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: Perhaps one day if I am braver (and decide I am really a lesbian!)

A nice lesbian at last night's meeting was expressing her sympathy for ladies who look very feminine and get ZERO attention from other women because of it. I felt sympathy for myself too all of a sudden!

So back to your subject, I think hairstyle is still a good way to go. I may ask my hairdresser (who is bisexual and knows I am!) to coif me back in that direction again. FWIW, the three self-identified lesbians at the meeting last night all had very short hair. OITNB and The L Word aside, I think traditionally short hair has been associated with lesbians... not to overgeneralize. How is your hair now?

Are you looking for "out on the town" queerness, or work-appropriate queerness, or some other category of queerness?

3. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah Snowshoe, you certainly are brave, I think if you find someday that you want to wear that shirt, if it's s true thing for you, you'll do it!

I think I may go bold with hair. Right now it's like between my shoulder and chin. In my 20s I rocked spikey hair, super duper short, and not that long ago I had ear length, but not as bold as the spikes.

I think I'm going to go for chic butch. That fits my tomboy yet a lil femme style that I've always kind of had anyway.

Luckily I work in the gaming industry so I wear jeans and chucks to work on a typical day, so I can go pretty casual if I want. And bold if i want, I'd fit right into the office culture.

PS how was the event? I'm so happy for you to go to it!!

#3 baristajedi, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  4. SnowshoeGeek

Oh, thank you - it was great! I posted a little about it in the other thread. I am really looking forward to the purely social event that's being put on by my work next week. It may include allies, but it could be my first real opportunity to socialize with non-straight people since moving to Iowa...

5. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's so great!!! Speaking of queering up your wardrobe, maybe that could be a good time to be bold for you!!

6. SnowshoeGeek

Yes indeed. Last night I wore one of my many men's shirts, just an understated light blue denim. I'll certainly bring out my favorite red plain flannel lumberjack for this one! And of course my ever-present Keen sandals. Or I'll try to locate my rainbow toe-socks and go with the Berkies. Heck, I've been doing toe socks with Birkenstocks for decades. OMG :eek: I'm so gay!!!!!!(!):roflmao:

7. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go Snowshoe!! You're going to rock that look! :thumbsup:

8. mellie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Love this. I kind of go for the androgynous look. My hair is a pixie which helps. I got it even shorter the other day. I mean, it's SHORT. And after years of having long, wavy, annoyingly thick hair that j had to straighten every day, I LOVE having super short hair.

I've always been a tomboy but I did go out and buy some cute button up plaid shirts for fall. They're women's, but I like to have a feminine edge. I'm finding I despise my boot cut jeans now and opt for straight legged. I'm not sure if I really LOOK like a lesbian to others but, for my family and friends, it's really nothing different (besides the hair).

What I have trouble with is looking gay without looking like I'm trying to be a 16 year old again. I already have a VERY young looking face and I'm a small person. So I want a mature look but still fashionable. Does that make sense?

9. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I'm totally there with you mellie, I'm worried about doing it without looking like a teenager!! I want to show like a mature yet casual slightly femme but mostly tomboy kind of queer style.

#9 baristajedi, Oct 9, 2015
  10. CameronMR

V-neck t-shirts, short hair, "dyke pants" plaid shirts... Lol

I've always worn what my friends refer to as dyke pants. All they are is black cargo capris. They used to say how I looked like a lesbian when I wore them.

I also cut my hair short. You can see the pictures on my photo album on my profile.

Check out autostraddle as well( lesbian website)

#10 CameronMR, Oct 9, 2015
  11. SuperAnonymouse

I've got some unique ideas for yah.

I read a book where a camp counselor went to a store in Woodstock on a date and the store owner had a rainbow enameled onto his tooth. So crack open the nail polish, I guess!! ;D

A fat gold chain with a huge blinged-out "LESBIAN" dangling from it.

Forehead tattoo!

I like long hair a lot myself so my thought is of those things that were popular a couple years back... The tiny braids with the thread wrapped around them and beads on the end. Get one of those with "LEZ" alphabet beads finishing them off! While you're at it you might as well braid a rainbow macramé bracelet. :wink:

But in all seriousness, how about a necklace that is like a single black or pink triangle? Not obvious to the casual observer, but those in the know might give you a second look. :eusa_danc

12. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    I used to dress likea boy, started going back to that before i realized i was gay. Its just more suited and comfortable to me. I got called dyke a lot in hs:/ i right now have amohawk. Hawk part is long, sides are completely buzzed down to nearly nothing (buzzers with no guard) i wear my hair pulled back in a "man bun" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I wear a lot of racerback tees, i have this one tshirt its tighter cut but the sleeves arelonger, Makes me feelhellamanly. As do my just abovethe kneeshorts.

Ive had people dress me for YEARS now to stay away from "my style" its been very fun to go back to it. My friend says im a "ladyboy" lol

I very small also, sstarted weight lifting about 5months ago to gain bulk and a little nore shape. Im having my breast implants removed as soon as we have a spare 10 grand lying around lol.then i can go back to beingflat chested, pretty stoked about it.

Oddly, ive never considered my look "queer".

13. CameronMR

I totally made a bunch of rainbow macrime bracelets....and a necklace which I wear everyday ...lol

I put a rainbow on my backpack too.

---------- Post added 9th Oct 2015 at 07:13 AM ----------

:grin:And I painted my nails....photo in my blog:lol:

14. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

It won't let me see your blog :frowning2:

15. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  16. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ebda and Cameron- I also have already had "tomboy" style but I think it's more subtle than I now want it to be. Maybe I need to go through what I already own and see if I'm overlooking anything...

But hair and some flannels and a few v necks may go a long way...

17. CameronMR

:icon_sad: I wonder if i have privacy settings???

---------- Post added 9th Oct 2015 at 07:39 AM ----------

Only problem I've found Is that plaid flannels are "in" and now I don't know who I can and can't flirt with!!! LOL.

How I want it to go:
    Hey, girl, nice shirt!
    Thanks, I wear it because I'm gay. Wanna go for coffee?

How it really goes:
    Hey girl, nice shirt
    Yeah, thanks, my boyfriend bought it for me

18. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great thread :slight_smile: I'm hoping to blend tigether my mix of my tomboy side, my comfy-mom-perpetually-chasing-a-3-year-old style and expression of my queer identity all into my *new* style. I think there's a lot of overlap there!

19. CameronMR

I think I fixed it, it was set to allow comments, but not to,allow views. :lol:

20. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :eusa_doh: yup. That's a bummer!

i wish there was a really clear signal that I could incorporate into my clothes/style in a nearly daily basis, and that you could look for to talk to women!

---------- Post added 9th Oct 2015 at 05:48 AM ----------

Ok, going to look! :icon_bigg

---------- Post added 9th Oct 2015 at 06:02 AM ----------

Wow! Love your hair, and your toes!!!