1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you doing anything for Coming Out Day (Oct. 11)?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by SnowshoeGeek, Oct 10, 2015.

1. SnowshoeGeek

I am pretty sure that I will at least post a link or an image celebrating it on Facebook. I am not sure if/what I will comment. There's a batch of friends who know, a batch that probably suspects and doesn't mind, and a batch I have NO idea about. I know I can make a friend subgroup so in the interest of staying comfortable I might just say something to them. But coming out as bisexual pondering lesbian sounds like such a cop-out to me.

I still want to do something, to say something, to be visible instead of invisible. Invisible is what this society has made me with hate and judgment. I want to stop apologizing for who I am.

Is anyone else thinking of coming out someone(s) tomorrow?

2. CapColors

I'll reblog some stuff on tumblr and bemoan my situation with a friend who already knows I'm out.

3. MissNicole

I will attempt to come out to a friend I've known for a while and usually tell first, but I've been putting it off. Seems like as good a day as any x3

4. Chicagoblue

gotto think 'a sumpthin

5. cakepiecookie

Ugh...I should really come out to my mother. I've been putting it off forever and feel guilty about it, even though I've had my reasons for waiting. Maybe this is the push I need to tear off that bandaid?

Good luck to anyone else coming out tomorrow!

6. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was in that situation for about a year after I came out to family and the friends I see in my daily life. Whenever I posted or even "liked" something on Facebook I could never be sure what message I was sending to the people I know only casually as "Facebook friends." I eventually became tired of trying to keep track of who knows what and finally, on the spur of the moment, just posted something that made it clear to all and sundry that I am gay. Now, I never have to think about what I post and who I "like."

7. SnowshoeGeek

I think this is what I am going to put on Facebook:

Today we celebrate National Coming Out Day!

The world is very different today than it was when I was growing up. We had no internet, no cellphones, and no way of communicating with people in other places without traveling. And except for perhaps a very few cities, we had very little acceptance of people who did not fit the traditional lifestyle mold.

I am so proud and grateful for the strides taken by my country in the decades since then, by the people who worked and sacrificed tirelessly to increase visibility and understanding for people with nonconforming identities. I am shocked to see how far we have come in just the past ten years.

For those of us who remember the world of the past and knew we didn’t fit society’s expectations, years of shame and embarrassment can be difficult to process, or even to acknowledge. We look at those coming out into a more accepting (but not totally accepting) environment with admiration and a little envy. But proclaiming our differences is never easy, and we always need one another’s support, and we hope for the support of those who are our friends and our families.

Today I ask you to look around and see all the different flowers blooming that could not have bloomed in the past. Love us for all the different colors we add to the world. See that we are people inside with hopes and dreams just like you. Tend to those close to you who may need to see your unconditional love in order to express themselves.

And celebrate a better world every day!​