1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I break out of a rut?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by crazydog15, Oct 15, 2015.

1. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's something really comfortable about my past. About knowing exactly what I'm going to do today. About knowing exactly what I'll do before work and after work. The routine. The habits. The thought processes. But all of that served to keep me in the closet, to keep me isolated. If I want to fully come out of the closet and be who I am, who I've always been deep down, I feel like I need to start cutting ties to my old ways. But I don't know how to do that, and I don't know if I'd feel comfortable doing it even if I knew how.

Any advice?

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Getting out of a comfort zone often times requires a catalyst, an event that forces one to step outside their usual boundaries. For me, it was a moment. A moment when I concluded I was not happy. And a recognition that I was not happy because I had never accepted my sexuality. And then, upon self acceptance, that became my catalyst moment. For thereafter I knew I would not be able to look at my life the same way. And as a result, I needed to change.

Once confronted with my catalyst moment, taken together with my strong drive to always push myself forward, I immediately embarked on my journey to get off the track I was on and realign my life.

For me, remaining in the comfort zone was never an option once I had my catalyst moment. I was prepare to accept the risks of the Unknown, push myself beyond my boundaries, and I was excited to embark in the adventure that was ahead of me.

I am so glad I left the comfort zone.

#2 OnTheHighway, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015