1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conservative friend now seems open minded

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Lindsey23, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Lindsey23

So, one of my friends is deeply religious. I consider her the most conservative/religious friend I have. Earlier today she posted a podcast on facebook. It was some religious figure interviewing a gay man who is also a Christian. I didn't have time to listen to the whole thing (it was nearly 2 hours long) but the first 30 minutes were good. The interviewer was very respectful and asked that people just hear his story and consider his perspective. He explained how he felt he was always gay and all that. In her comment she stated that her views were challenged by the podcast and she was open to this different point of view. It surprised me. I've never talked to her about gay issues, I just always assumed she was anti-gay and never wanted to talk to her about it. It gave me hope for the future. If she can be accepting maybe anyone can.

2. bi2me

3. Chicagoblue

sweetness and light

4. CameronMR

Yay! There is hope! :grin:

5. 50ishandout

Sometimes the people that we think are going to be the most homophobic turn out to be the most supportive.

I have a friend who's like a brother, when I did my Facebook Outing he called and we had a great conversation he told me he loved me and nothing will ever change.

6. Flatulentius

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's amazing!

I'm not sure what podcast your friend posted, but this has me almost motivated enough to post this one on FB as a feeler to see what kind of reaction comes from my more conservative Christian friends.

The Liturgists - Episode 20 - LGBTQ

(I'm a bit of a geek for podcasts discussing faith and sexuality, so if you're comfortable sharing, I'd love to know what podcast your friend posted)

#6 Flatulentius, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  7. CapColors

Excellent!

8. Lindsey23

This is the site CNLP 057: Aaron Harris: A Gay Man's Perspective on What He Wishes Was Different in the Church - Carey Nieuwhof

I finally had time to finish it. It was better than I expected. Very insightful. It made me not want to completely turn my back on Christianity...apparently there is room for dialogue! That's easy to forget with all the hatred sent our way...

Aaron's had an interesting life which is both sad and inspiring. He talked about the abuse he's suffered in the church, being a part of Exodus and the ex-gay movement, trying to be straight but realizing that wasn't possible. Studying the bible and the origins of the word homosexuality. He says that word didn't come about until the 1800's so when you see it in the bible they're really referring to gay prostitutes/sex slaves and the people who use them (I want to research this more.) The manipulation of bible verses and context to make it sound like homosexuality is a worse sin than pretty much everything else, including divorce which most Christians don't seem to care about but the bible is against. There's so much more...I'll have to listen to it again at some point to fully absorb it. Thanks for posting your podcast! I'm looking forward to it when I can find some time.

#8 Lindsey23, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  9. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    The also, there are people with fragile homophobia... My mother was homophobic, but a few months after me being open about my support and approval of lgtb rights, she surprised me by saying something positive about gay marriage... I was left with my mouth open because i wasnt expecting it.