1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update of sorts. In Therapy and at a crossroads.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Pathetic Coward, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Pathetic Coward

Me again. Sorry if this rambles/TMI/rude and whatnot. I'm bad about that. One of those do-or-delete posts.

Been in therapy for about a month dealing with life (not just not being straight). By in large it has been a good thing.

Summary: My life stalled out, lost a business, got a do-nothing job and stewed for a few years. Make more than a few mistakes. Now I've got to rebuilt my life in general.

On the plus side I doubt I ever would have took a proper look at myself (aka not straight) had things kept moving.

On the downside I'm stuck with a major life choice that scares me enough to avoid it all together. I had entered the session thinking I should give up on therapy as I really don't want to change but to be honest I know change happens with or without us.

Me: I'm 38 staring at 40. My skill set is mechanical/skilled trades. Starting working summers when I was 10-12 and I ran a business that did the same. There's no real escaping that a person learns things and develops a mind frame and abilities over their life and like it or not this is me. Even if I tried to do other things that style of thinking and muscle memory will remain. That part of my "cake" is somewhat baked. I'm still conflicted about it, but there it is.

If you saw me in person/in action I would be (or at least think I am) the straightest dude in the room. I've overly dude. I deer hunted as a kid. I drive a truck. I've got scars where a ceiling fell in on me (a long story that ends with 15+ stitches). I've had farmer tans more years that not. I used to chew long cut (the first root canal cured me of that). Beer comes in two favors: bottles and cans. Need something fixed? I'm the guy or I know the guy....

Used to be a true gamer geek. The bad kind. Aka the girls-are-smelly neck beard. I'm the guy who asked "why does he put up with that out of her?" Looking back, duh. Feels, brah. Feels. Mistakes were made. Damage was minimal. Doesn't bother me much. Laughable now, really. Women do treat their men bad but I digress.

To be honest the only thing the "stereotypical" gay guy and I would have in common is we both think he's cute. Srs. I'm a full on fan boy for the fem boys.

Which brings me to my problem. I've got to get a life. Bigger problem -- what kind of life.

I can land a mechanical/trade skill job where I am. It would be a lower stress (employee vs self-employed, less hectic environment) of what I "escaped" when my business failed.

Pros: I know I would be good at it and could at least not embarrass myself. Would offer security (the openings are people retiring, the place is a fixture of the community) I have an "ins" of sorts given my current do-nothing job.

Cons: It, like the field, is straight-white-dude world. As a white dude who can change a tire and understands what a "backer" wrench is for I should fit right in. Other than the gay.

This is a place where guys I otherwise respect drop the n-word when the black guy's not in the room. During the Kentucky clerk thing I overheard "Don't get me wrong, I think they should all be taken out and shot, but she should've done her job."

I could never be out-out there, if that makes sense. Like talking about my weekend over Monday morning coffee with everyone else. I would at best be "that one" and in a world where peer respect is everything (because there isn't much else) it wouldn't be awesome. It would be bad. Very bad. Hermit outcast bad. "Why bother" bad.

I'm making too much out of it but I really wish the rednecks (like it or not I'm one of them, or at least a bordering tribe) would just grow up and get with the program. But they won't. Because Jesus. Because constitution and supreme court in-justices. Because they need the other to vilify in order to remind themselves their life isn't crap.

I know -- fear -- that if I take that job I'm resigning myself to the closet or at best a split life. One of those every-one-knows-but-says-nothing lives.

Short version (sorry).

I feel like I'm left with a single choice (other than not moving on).

Be the "person" I was, plus not-straight. I can be that anywhere, and to be honest I bet the people are same/close enough not to matter.

Or find a different line of work in a different place/city, where the word gay means gay and the word f-g is right out.

A part of me yearns to be someone else, anywhere else. I know that's not realistic. But I can't help but feel that I'm giving up too much either way. It seems that I have to either abandon twenty years of my past or stay in the closet/nearly so in order to have a life.

Add in doubts about how "gay" I really am (mostly of the "I could play it straight, honest" variety) and life is a bag of neurotic cats ATM.

I'm afraid that making too much out of it. But if feels like I have to give up one part of myself to be honest with the other part and I can't tell if any of it matters.

Question. Has anyone dealt with this?

Thanks again.

PC, confused as always.

#1 Pathetic Coward, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  2. bi2me

I'm not dealing with this, but my close friend is sort of the way you describe yourself and I found out recently that he is bigender. He's out to his wife and a few friends, but he's not out at work due in large part to employment protections not being there. I don't know if this helps, but you aren't alone out there.

Maybe take the job as a temporary fix and start training to do something else you enjoy. Is there a college or university near to you? Could you plan to take evening courses in something?

3. Pathetic Coward

It does. Thank you.

I ended up calling and canceling my next/future appointments with said counselor. The first session or two was useful but in the end it felt like I was talking to a wall and I can do that for free.

I don't know where I'm going from here. My sexuality is really just a small part of the problem, really. I feel cheated out of two decades then cheated again by people (including said counselor) who act like missing out on irreplaceable years of a person's life is no big deal. Had I had my legs under me at 18 or 20 I wouldn't be dealing with the rest of it now.

"Find something you like to do" is sensible advice but to be honest I don't know what I would like or if it matters to even try. Some days I take stock of my skills and aptitudes and feel that I've been forced into an identity (in general) that isn't near the person I should have been. And that it's too late to change those parts of myself (not entirely true/false). And that's paralyzing.

I'm probably in the wrong place/forum. I thought that accepting that I wasn't straight (jury's still out on the rest) would help me turn my life around. And it still might. But at the moment it just feels like one more problem. It might just have to wait its place in line.

Thanks again.

PC

4. bi2me

No problem. I think sometimes starting to question sexuality seems like it comes at the wrong time, when in reality it can make us rethink the ways we've been doing everything. Overwhelming? Absolutely! I have found, though, that I am calmer and happier as I'm coming to some understandings of what I want from multiple spheres in life, and perhaps I wouldn't have examined any of it if I had not first had a large stone removed from a closet wall.

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are never too old to explore a different path in life (if that's what you need to do), so please do not dismiss the idea of doing something else out of hand. Of course, it does help if you know what you would like to do, but maybe you can give that some serious consideration.

I would urge you to pay attention to your very real feelings and not be too quick to dismiss or devalue them. You have faced up to the fact that you are attracted to other guys, but it seems as though you are now trying to push all of that aside because it's causing difficulty and bringing you to this frustrating crossroads. You recognise that you have "lost" some years already and the only effect of minimising your feelings will be to lose even more. If you are really honest with yourself, I'm sure you don't want that.

Yes, you have some choices to make, but they are probably less drastic than you imagine. Try to see them as choices for a positive, happier future rather than choices that have come to frustrate and depress you. Our mindset is more important than we imagine in dealing with issues like these. If we see everything as an insurmountable problem that will only result in defeat, that's exactly what will happen.

Not trying to pretend that it's easy, but I don't want you to go away thinking that it cannot or will not happen for you.

6. TTSP

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Do you have savings? Could you travel for a period of time even very cheaply in hostels/by bus? A few weeks someplace nice without worries could help clear your head a bit and see your life in perspective.

Maybe find a ski resort someplace and get a job as a barman/working in the restaurant /ski rental shop or whatever for the winter. Can always go back to your old life in the Spring...

#6 TTSP, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  7. 0617

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is exactly how I feel. And about more than just my sexuality also. I just am not sure that I can get over the fact that I am just about 40 and......I have accomplished nothing, relationship wise or career wise.
    A couple of weeks ago I was at a concert where I was sitting near a couple (two women) most likely in college. It was surreal. I was trying not to be creepy and it wasn't like I was watching them because I was attracted to them in that way, but their openness and happiness was so bright it almost made me cry. And all I could think was, "Man, how different would my life be if I did this....." instead of what I did.
    As far as work, I guess I have always just been apathetic in picking where I wanted my career to go. I wish I had been more clear headed and sure of myself when I was in college so maybe I could at least have accomplished something. Instead, I just pretty much took whatever job I could get.
    That's the strange thing that I recognize now when I look back. When I was younger I had very faint ideas of what I wanted, but then my head would get all foggy and I would have no idea of how to go about getting them. So then I would just give up and go with the flow. It was easier that way. But it was almost like my brain couldn't handle all the energy it took to make those decisions. I don't know....weird.
    I just get really angry at myself and then I just get really defeated. I know I should just go to therapy, but really I just feel they are going to tell me that I just need to move on. I KNOW THIS. I just don't think I can.
    Hmmm...I don't think this is helping. Sorry. But I don't think you are in the wrong forum. Your post has generated dialogue and discussion (and a rather long ramble from me) so people are thinking and communicating. That is always good. Maybe we can talk our way through it. (?)

8. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for putting that out there. I get so tired of gay guys who are interested only in "straight-looking, straight-acting 'masculine' dudes," and I'm not even a "fem boy" myself. To tell the truth, I'm somewhere in the middle: I do crush heavily on masculine, somewhat-transgressive men (bearded, hairy, tatted, cigar-smoking, motorcycle-riding, etc.) but I refuse to rule out guys who go the other way.

I think you should seriously consider a move to a more gay-friendly location. My ex, who is by no means fem, started out as an arts teacher, went on to run his own business, and then became a self-employed contractor. He now works for an all-gay construction company, building and renovating houses. From what he tells me, the coffee breaks are way more fun than what you might find at a straight workplace. :lol:

9. Pathetic Coward

Third time posting is the charm (user error + pc crash). Sometimes the universe spiting you is the only sign you're on the right track...

Looking back this post (and a few before) have been attention seeking and poor-little-me, at least in my judgement. Thanks, everyone, for putting up with it. It helps.

bi2me: Funny how everything sorta runs together, or at least dislodges everything else. Identity/job/sexuality -- guess they're all part of the same broth and I need to accept that.

PatrickUK: You're 100% right. My self defeating attitude(my opinion) is the problem and I'm the only one who can change it. I think the "I can't do X" is really "I'm afraid of doing X" and that's no way to live. I need to stop regret not doing and regret doing (or at least risk regretting whatever it is) for a change. If that makes any sense.

TTSP: That is an awesome idea. Only think stopping me is my mind (taking a "break" is not what adults do). I had thought about throwing myself at some disaster-aid group (the east coast floods to be exact) before but that would mean giving up my "perfect" dead end job (which in some ways it is) and getting on with life. But getting perspective would help. You're 100% right about that. Who knows. Maybe "out there" isn't any better (or maybe it is).

0617: In the abstract (because this is the internet) "I just feel they are going to tell me that I just need to move on." is exactly why I avoided therapy. At the risk of sounding hypocritical the first session did me some good in forcing me to admit that I was being hypercritical and that stood in the way of a happy and useful life. To be honest I think I outgrew the counselor, if that makes sense. Some things we have to do ourselves and looking elsewhere is just a reminder of what we're not doing. And given my book-length posts I can hardly say you are rambling :wink:. By all means continue. Please. I say that out of self interest, really. It is far easier to see the problem in someone else (we're all taught that self-anything = selfishness) and sound like you're someone walking the same (or similar) tired road as my own.

Weston: A change in location would/could help. Think I just need to get a grip on who I am rather than who-I-am-not. The example of your friend points out that most of this is just perception and preconceived notions of what is and what isn't. I think that's really holding me back. There's nothing really stopping me from turning wrenches and dating Mr fabulous, is there? Provided I like(or at least don't mind) turning wrenches.

As far as fem guys I don't think I'll ever get the dislike. Maybe the disdain for their gal pals and such (IE "not my crowd") but that doesn't make sense. This might be super het of me to say but you're not "friends" with this guy --you're dating him. My problem in that I know if I found "Mr right" rainbows and unicorns would show up ever time he entered the room. That's being snarky but given the world I've grown up in/might be comfortable with it would mean there's no more "shutting up and getting along" which has been a mainstay for a while.

Thanks again, everyone. I've got to take a deep breath and work on me -- the entire mess -- and get on with it. That's far harder than it sounds some days.

PC.

#9 Pathetic Coward, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  10. rachael1954

You are not making too much out of it, it's a big decision.

Some people can just decide to do things and do it, but others want to weigh the pros and cons of everything, and we can't see the future unfortunately. This is my problem right now. I can't predict the next 5, 10, 15 years if I do A or B right now. So I simmer and hope the answer/ambition to pick a side and move on chimes in. Not sure if it will or if I have to force it.

Either way I think it'll be easier once you pick something. You'd have to pick it and move forward and give it your all, though. Give it a chance. Don't worry about the other path. You can always change again and go back. But I think we grow by doing things, and truly the only regrets I have are the things I didn't do.

Living in an enormously queer friendly city, I do feel I need to nudge you in that direction. I lived as a straight woman in hickville all of my natural life until very recently. I dressed like them, I tried to act like them, and I tried to talk with them and share their thoughts/desires. I tried to have empathy for them and forge friendships, but it was all so BORING to me. Now that I am in the city, I feel so much better. Freer. Living in the suburbs taught me how much I can really repress myself, and how years can go by without me even showing up to life, really.

So I guess I do have a small regret, for the life I could have lived if I went with my feelings and emotions instead of being practical and doing what society wanted. I might be more banged up and have scars, but I would be so much more sure of myself and who I am, and what I am capable of.

11. Pathetic Coward

I'm sure you're right. What bothers me (other than a pile of regret over misspent years) is what if the problem isn't where I am but who I am. I mean some people can be unhappy just about anywhere. I would just be down and out/ going through the motions somewhere else.

Thank you for the perspective on city vs suburbia. It's hard to judge the value of a move (to somewhere more inclusive/whatnot) without idealizing it. Which then makes it unrealistic because any sane person knows that nothing turns out the way we imagine it.

Thanks again. It is nice to know that what I'm dealing with is nothing that hasn't been dealt with before.

PC

12. rachael1954

Yeah, I hear you on that. I also think that exact thing. Why blow up my life just to be questioning everything/unhappy somewhere else.

Reading my post on urban vs. suburban sounds really preachy and haughty. I'm sorry for that. It's not the locale, exactly. It's the people you know, and the friends and the support system you have.

I just happened to never have it before moving to a bigger place. I never actively reached out to develop my own friends and support system before now either. So I can't blame my personal experience on my geographical location.

#12 rachael1954, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  13. Pathetic Coward

Sorry if I acted that it did -- didn't mean to. It stands to reason that building a positive life is easier where there's people who see you in a positive (or at least a neutral) fashion. That and a change in location can force a change in perspective and that's a big part of it.

Thanks again.

PC

14. rachael1954

It's all good, you didn't act like it did. I re-read what I wrote and was horrified by my condescending arrogant tone!

Yeah it's all a matter of perspective, wherever you find yourself. I wish you luck, PC, and I hope soon you can update your name to PC for Powerful & Courageous!