1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My bf doesn't even want to talk (though I'm scared too..)

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by TeaTree, Oct 26, 2015.

1. TeaTree

So, just a short recap/ description of my story: after a short time of conscious questioning (and a lifelong of more or less conscious one) about my sexuality I finally came out to myself a few months ago and to my boyfriend of 8+ years a couple of months ago...In the meantime I realized that I cannot be myself in this relationship not only because of my sexuality but also because I feel like I cannot grow in the context of the relationship anymore. I'm stuck but so addicted to the comfort of the "known", it really is like an addiction I need to break.
    Since coming out we haven't really talked about this with my bf (at all), and he has become more and more depressed. We live together and we started to have fun moments again, he is basically my best friend, but that's it.

I've been really scared to talk to him, because I'm still a bit confused about what I want, but I know it's not healthy anymore to be in this relationship, to neither of us.

He is going tomorrow to go visit his parents in the country/city we are both from. We usually go together but now we won't.
    So before him leaving I finally gathered my courage and tried to initiate a conversation about well...us, our relationship, etc. Starting with the question, how does he feel lately, and telling him that we haven't talked in a while about this and maybe it would help to talk.

But he just plain shut me down, telling me that "yes, we haven't, and I want to keep it this way"....

So yeah, in a way I was shocked, and not happy at all, but on the other hand I was relieved that I don't have to talk about this now...So here we are, two procrastinating crazy people in a relationship that is basically not a relationship anymore. We got along so well as friends, if I would have a magic wand, I would break us up and keep us as very good friends and we could talk about girls and stuff...But yeah, no magic wand yet...

2. bi2me

(*hug*)

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's really tough. If he had a magic wand he would probably want that too. How long will he be away for?
    Perhaps you could think about some other forms of communication like writing him a letter if there are things you want to say to him. It will give hike the time and space to digest what you have written on his own.
    Who knows maybe further down the line you may be able to be great friends again but at the moment you are both hurting and unsure.

4. Distant Echo

We are so in the same situation. B (can't call him my partner anymore) doesn't want to talk about it. I am living with my friend, I cannot call us lovers anymore.
    He tells me off for shutting him out, but then won't talk.
    It is his little sisters birthday next month, and, as much as I want to, I don't think I should go. His family knows nothing of what is going on, and I don't want to pretend in front of them.
    Same for Xmas
    So damn hard!

5. TeaTree

I'm not sure how long will he be away for, I think he has to go back to work in two weeks. But he told me he will let me know before he will come back...In a way I feel this need to tell him that if he meets someone and he wants to do anything with them, I'm ok with that...But I think he would feel even more hurt if I told him that, as he is pretty sure in denial about the whole situation.
    Though I am also part of this, I could have told him any moment that we should break up or even to start talking about stuff again. I'm also scared to have these conversations again, but I'm starting to get to the point where I'll do it because we are just lying to ourselves if we continue it like this.

I'm not sure about the letter, about a year ago when we had an argument I wrote him a letter and when I asked him about it he told me that yeah, he read it but he didn't get it... He is really smart but I can't force him to consider things he doesn't want to.

I will give this time, to see how much more I can go like this.

---------- Post added 27th Oct 2015 at 12:13 AM ----------

I know what you mean about pretending in front of the family. It's my mom's birthday today and lately when I talk to her I feel such a liar every time. I'm pretending everything is fine, but feel so horrible, I've even been avoiding to talk to her lately...

About my bf's parents, wow...I'm scared of them...They are very nice people and I feel like I'm disappointing them or something. Every time when we were there his mother used to tell us that "the most important thing is for you two to love each other, nothing else really matters". I am honestly afraid to even consider going there in the future.

6. CapColors

HUGS, hugs.

7. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sending positive thoughts your way Teatree.

8. Distant Echo

I adore his family. His dad and I kept in touch for a long time after we split the first time. His dad's new wife and her daughter and their daughter are lovely and i hate that I will miss them more than I would miss B. his dad won't forgive me this, I already know that. I'm dreading Xmas. They will probably expect us to stay, and I'm not going to be able to do that. This sucks.

:cry:

9. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*)

Hugs TeaTree! I think this is the perfect opportunity to focus on yourself a bit. While he's gone, you can formulate your thoughts and think about what you want and try to make a plan for how to approach him about it. If your pretty set on wanting to break up, you at the very least need to have that one last conversation. Do some thinking about everything and do something nice for yourself as well. Do whatever it is that comforts you the most (I'd be getting ice cream and queuing up episodes of the Gilmore Girls :slight_smile:) and basically take the time you need to build up your strength and your confidence in what you want to do.

Maybe you won't be ready to deal yet when he gets back but at least you can try to give yourself some time to feel more focused and comfortable with all the hard stuff you're feeling with.

10. SnowshoeGeek

I think it is still a relationship. It's just changing into a different kind of relationship. And it's in a period of very rapid change right now.

It sounds to me like he really values the good times he shares with you and wants the transition to a different kind of relating to be free of painful expressions of feelings (maybe painful for him?)

But my view of relationships is probably unrecognizable to most people. I've lost my handy categories that were based on having sex/not having sex, living nearby/living far away, and now of course boy/girl.

This must be horribly painful for you and I cannot think of anything that I could say that would help you. But I feel for you and I'm thinking of you and ... you will survive this, no matter how it goes.

(&&&)​