1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't want to lose me

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Oct 27, 2015.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think so much of my life has been ne fighting not to lose me. I've always felt like all my battles have been about that simple fight.

It's not always about my sexuality but it really does seem to be such a crucial factor, especially now.

I wanted to go to university in my time because I didn't want to lose me in the process of just going through the motions of school, and I did that...like being out of the closet, I was a "later in life" student.

Being a wife, deciding whether to change my last name, deciding how we would handle our different religious upbringing, thinking about where we'd live and whose career would take precedent at different times, and finally being a mom. My biggest battle in all these areas was how can I not lose me.

And here I am realising so many years of denying my sexuality has given me this dilemma again. How do I not lose me? How do I recapture and reclaim the bits of me I almost recognised at one point? And how do I keep it from completely slipping away?

I'm not sure how to make this less abstract. Sorry for rambling on a bit...

#1 baristajedi, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's really a powerful post! Seems you have found yourself before, and you have the ability to do it again and again.

3. Mystic flower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have the same dilemma, it is certainly an exhausting journey. The "Never fade away" tattoo I have reminds me that me matters and being content with current circumstances. Celebrate what makes you you, poetry helps me. I don't always share what I write, but just the thought that one day someone will read them assures me that I put something out there that is of me. I understand how it feels to be slipping away. . .

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe the idea is to lose all the things that aren't you; as a sculptor chips away all the unnecessary stuff to reveal the vision of the thing inside the marble block.

As C.G. Jung would say, life is the difficult and scary process of becoming oneself.

5. CameOutSwinging

I completely understand the feeling and I'm quite impressed that you've actually done a fair bit of fighting to not lose yourself over the years.

This is a fight I believe I need to learn to take on myself. Losing yourself and your wants and needs at the sake of making other people happy is such an easy thing to do, especially when you also have abandonment issues like I do. But the irony there is by doing all of that, it feels like I'm abandoning myself.

6. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For so long I have forgotten about my wants and needs so that I could try to be the best provider and father I could be. I bust my ass, and work 60 hours or more a week usually, and have been for the longest time. Over the years I definitely see how much I neglected myself and things I felt to try and make a home for my gf and kids. But I have been empty inside for what feels like forever. My kids have always been the one thing tho that I count on for making the world bearable. Now, I'm deciding to just be out and things feel so much better. My ex thinks I am the biggest ass that's ever walked the Earth, but all that aside, there is no way in hell I would be dragged back into the closet.

7. Pathetic Coward

I think others have answered it better, but...

This. All of this.

Thank you for putting a major fear of mine into words. It helps.

PC

8. Distant Echo

All I can say is this.
    I lost me. I disappeared and I became what others expected me to be. I had to, just to survive. Being me wasn't safe.
    But, somewhere in amongst the ruins, I was still there. And I'm back, stronger and more stubborn than ever.
    You can't lose yourself. Not completely. As bad as things got for me (and you don't want to know how bad they got) I was still in there.
    You are a very strong woman. You'll be fine.

9. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like this has been a mixed bag, sometimes I've managed to maintain my sense of self, sometimes I feel I compromise a lot of my needs and identity. I can't see a clear path right now. It's hard to even imagine what my life would look like if I could wave a magic wand and forget all complications and just be true to me. Would I be with my husband but exploring my sexuality somehow? Would I be with a woman? Would I be alone, maybe just making connections and being intimate with women and taking time to get to know me and enjoy exploring and meeting people? How does this all fit in with being a mom? Can I even think about me when so much of my energy is consumed by being a parent?

---------- Post added 27th Oct 2015 at 12:37 PM ----------

I also get the same comfort from writing, when I journal I feel like I have not just released something but also made it more real and gave my feelings a shape and made them tangible.

I keep thinking about trying to write short stories again...

I also feel like my outward appearance is important to me right now, as a way of expressing me somehow.

---------- Post added 27th Oct 2015 at 12:39 PM ----------

I really like this. this is a really helpful perspective. It will take some time for me to introspect about what it means for me...

10. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks :slight_smile: I hope you are able to sort this all out for yourself as well.

From what you've posted you sound like a very strong person, especially in protecting and caring for others. I guess the challenge is investing that energy in caring for you.

11. ConsciousRose42

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Meditation helps me :slight_smile: .... A lot
    Just sitting with Myself
    And the bigger picture

12. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You've done this before, and you know what to do!

Are you looking for our love and support?

You have it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

(&&&)

#12 SiennaFire, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  13. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really hope this isn't shallow compared with what you are talking about, but your post resonated with me so very much.

Here are just a few (fairly concrete) things about me:

I am reasonably physically fit (for 48 anyway). I play footbag and racquetball and enjoy bicycling.

I am the Mistress of Drinks, Soups, Stews, Sauces, and Condiments, and a damned good cook generally. I invent new dishes, embellish existing ones, or simply recreate good food, and I delight in making people happy with food and drink.

I am musical, and both sing and play an instrument. I have strong interests in learning other instruments.

I am analytical. I enjoy learning about and using mathematics. I enjoy software analysis, design, and development. I enjoy investigating research questions in just about any discipline.

I am theatrical. I've been in plays, musicals, and more recently I've been writing for solo performance.

I am bisexual, and, I am discovering, polyamorous-natured, but for years I have been monogamous with a single female partner.

I am really good at explaining complex concepts to people to whom the ideas are completely new.

I am a Witch in a country dominated by Christians.

I am a diligent and productive worker.

I am fairly risk-averse, particularly financially and regarding my physical and emotional well-bring (and that of my partner).

I have 1000 notions of things to do in my downtime: puzzles, travel, reading, writing poetry or stories, posting in EC...many more...

Each of these things is a big part of me. You can perhaps see how many of these conflict, either inherently, or with one another, especially given that limited 24-hour nature of the days on this planet. I spend a great deal of time and energy trying to manage all of these facets. For many years, that analytical side took over in my career, and I found my musical and theatrical side completely getting buried. For years, I accepted unquestioningly that while I am with my partner, it is impossible for me to actualize my bisexuality or to love others...so my bi and poly nature was getting buried. I work full-time, and that takes time away from exercising, from cooking, and from my other 1000 side-pursuits.

I struggle on a daily, weekly, monthly, and annual basis with the danger of losing me, and how to guard against it. I work most things out, although some slip by the wayside.

Right now I feel like I am struggling with the whole bisexuality and poly side of losing me in the same way that you are struggling with your sexuality and marriage. Communication with my partner has been a real savior in this...we communicate well and often. It also helps that we're both bisexual (though I may not have known that about her if we didn't talk so much). But yes, I feel your pain and your struggle so much. It feels to me like we need to live 1000 lifetimes to really do everything that we feel a strong need to do.

I love the image that Mr. Whale brings up. But I don't do a lot that isn't me. It's a matter of there being so much that *is* me, that there isn't room enough for it in one life. What I'm trying to engage in now is dropping some of the most "worn" aspects of myself. I've been involved in analytical, technical work for years. It *feels* like if I drop that (somehow...I still have to eat, of course), I could be happy...but I'm also sure that as the analytical stuff recedes, I'll no doubt mourn it as well. And certainly, shedding monogamous habits bring huge amounts of risk and danger that I find difficult to embrace.

Damn. I have no answers for you, I guess. But I feel like I feel your pain. Maybe that's something? *hugs*

14. TeaTree

I think I'm losing myself every time when my self-confidence goes really low, when I'm living out of fear, when I'm not looking at life from my perspective but from another peoples perspective and make my choices according to what "others" would approve of. I basically lived all my life like that, so now I'm seriously wondering if I'll be able to clear out all this mess around "me" and finally live from first person perspective.
    For me it's a constant battle but when I compare where I am now and where I was even a few month ago, there is visible progress.
    I have a sticker on my PC monitor saying "switch the focus inside" since last week, just to remind myself :slight_smile:

15. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree, coming out has really meant a lot to me too, just being open about my orientation has really made me feel more free. But I feel like that's not quite enough... I need more sy this point, I just don't know exactly what yet.

16. Really

Maybe it's like finally watering a half dead plant. It's going to take a little while before it rejuvenates and blossoms but it will because it's still essentially the same flower. Just older.

[And may I say? I'd like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for spelling "lose" with just one "o".]

17. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish you the best, PC. It's a comfort to know I'm not the only one.

---------- Post added 27th Oct 2015 at 09:31 PM ----------

I'm sorry for all the pain and struggle you've gone through! You are certsinly a very strong woman yourself.

Thanks for the encouragement. I think i can do this, I'm struggling with finding the strength, the balance of responsibility and desire to be happy, the practical aspects of being able to be true to me in my own life limitations, and maybe even fully understanding what being me means.

---------- Post added 27th Oct 2015 at 09:34 PM ----------

This is a truly good idea, second time it's comr up on here in the last few days. I wonder if there's even an lgbt yoga group in my city... That could bring me both more calmness in my thoughts and also some chance to reach out to community. Hmm, I'm going to see what's offered here.

---------- Post added 27th Oct 2015 at 09:35 PM ----------

Thank you for the support! (*hug*)

---------- Post added 27th Oct 2015 at 09:43 PM ----------

All of this resonates with me, I guess many of us struggle with this feeling of losing self. In my case it surfaces a little differently, but I feel it a lot. For me I tend to feel like there's s path laid out in front of me and that either I'm expected to follow it or maybe there's not any indication that other paths exist, but I know somewhere inside that thst path is not really for me. Maybe there's some things I'll want from thst path but there's s much different path that could fulfill me more and I have to just write my own story and I often don't know where to start....
    But it comes down to a lot of the same feelings you're talking about. And it does help to kniw you understand :slight_smile:. I hope you can find the fulfillment you're looking for.(*hug*)

---------- Post added 27th Oct 2015 at 09:50 PM ----------

You can do it TeaTree! You're starting to clear out all of that mess around you now!

I do feel this sinetimes when my self esteem is low or I'm feeling low for other reasons. But sometimes it's the opposite, I think this feeling for me sometimes crops up as a precursor to change. Maybe as a way of gathering motivation and courage or even to introspect in what I want to do. I know that when I've made the decisions that were true to me I felt bliss and peace and total joy from the end result. University for me, both undergrad and later my MA, was so invigorating and enjoyable because I'd done it completely in my own way. I hope i can find this same thing for myself now, or at the very least, some sense of fulfilment.

---------- Post added 27th Oct 2015 at 09:52 PM ----------

I like that imagery :slight_smile:. And it's fitting for where I am now.

And re the word *lose* - regional spelling bee champ, 4th grade :wink: it would be a disgrace to my title to mess that up :lol:.

18. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Give it time. As you become more comfortable with your sexuality, it won't be the focus of your attention as it becomes an integrated aspect of you. Once this happens, you will naturally rediscover the other aspects of yourself. I'm not sure if there's a way to accelerate the process, except to surrender and not force it.

In re-reading this thread, I may have misinterpreted what you mean by not losing yourself. I had interpreted this to mean that you have accepted your bisexuality and want to reconstruct yourself in light of being bisexual and your true self.

Or do you mean that you feel that you are at risk of losing touch with your bisexual self because you are putting the needs of others ahead of your own? If so, ask yourself how you will feel about your choices on your death bed. Will you feel joy and happiness, or regret?

(&&&)

#18 SiennaFire, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  19. Shadowsylke

I think that's great advice! Start jettisoning things that you know are a facade, and find the real you buried underneath. That's a really interesting perspective. I like the Jung quote, too. :slight_smile:

20. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What I meant in this thread is more the latter. I fear that I will lose touch with my bisexuality because I put other's needs before mine, and I'm having trouble reconciling what it will take for me to feel fulfilled and what steps I can even take in my life to get closer to that fulfilment.

---------- Post added 28th Oct 2015 at 02:34 PM ----------

I like this too...it's a powerful idea. I'm not sure where to start. I have a lot if thinking to do.