1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I did it! Came out to my sister

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Mystic flower, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Mystic flower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Last night, I came out to my sister during our drive. She is my best friend, my partner in crime, my back bone. Through out our lives, she has been openly homophobic (but not screaming it for the world to hear) because that is how we were brought up. I am able to share everything with her, except the part that I am bisexual. The fear of her taking it negatively prevented me from telling her who I really am for the past two years.

So, I check up on her while I went for a drive. We had our usual conversation, and I told her I have wanted to tell her something. It took a while to muster up the words, and her response surprised the fucking daylights out of me! I expected a lecture of some sort, asking for an explanation but instead she said, "Your life, your choice." How those words lifted off a ton off my shoulders. Then we spoke about how our mother brought us up, and how she neglects to guide us as she is caught up in favouring our brother. But yeah, hell of a feeling to be able to open up to my sister. I honestly thought she would react negatively. Actually more accepting than our oldest sister.

2. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats!!! That's winderful that she was accepting!!

3. Shadowsylke

That's great, mystic. Sometimes, our family can surprise us. My grandmother certainly surprised the heck out of me! So glad that your sister is supportive...that must be such a weight off your shoulders!

4. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Great story.

5. CapColors

Well done to both of you!

6. MayaBee

Awesome! Your sister is so cool that she doesnt hate on you even tho she is homophobic and you are so brave! Congrats :slight_smile:

7. Chicagoblue

soooo cooool

8. Mocha

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That's great! Families do surprise us sometimes. I think their opinions on things often differ when it's relevant to one of their own! My family definitely surprised me! I was seriously considering emigrating in the hope that my dad need never know, as I couldn't predict how he'd react and I didn't think it would be good! But actually he's been the most supportive!

9. Sorrel

Hooray for you Mystic flower! And hooray for your sister :slight_smile: It might even be that she'll gain even greater understanding and compassion for LGBT people from here on out, just from having you in her life.

10. Shadowsylke

That's a great point. A lot of the prejudice we face from the hetero world is really out of ignorance. It is easy to hate or disregard the "other", but that becomes more difficult when the "other" is a loved one. Your sister's outlook may change because of you, and that is a beautiful thing. :slight_smile:

11. Mystic flower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    :slight_smile: thank you all for your kind words, always good to celebrate with you all.

12. Moonflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Glad to hear it. Still haven't told mine due to her severe anger and depressive mood resulting from a breakup and other life events, though I'm running around literally outside of her door doing various very gay things. Oh well.