1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

update

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by CameronMR, Nov 12, 2015.

1. CameronMR

it's gonna take me awhile to catch up with everyone else, but here is my update! Its been a couple weeks since I have been online due to finals and life. I have one more final exam and 1 case study/skill assessment and Im done for this semester. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!!

Things are going OK at home. My ex stopped asking for sex all the time, now he just asks for hugs, sometimes kisses and cuddles. I often say no, but I do give him hugs. He still is my best friend. I don't take him on anymore road trips, that just sends mixed messages. I had to travel to the coast recently for my uncles funeral. It was great seeing family again. I love my moms side of the family, not a single one of them mis-gendered my son, or used the wrong name or pronouns! They were quite impressed by his musical skills when he volunteered to play the piano for the family, and they all want to keep in contact! Pretty good for a bunch of Mennonites!

Anyway, at the funeral I was able to reconnect with my uncles ex-wife, the one who came out as lesbian after many years of marriage. I was hoping to reconnect with her, I didn't like her years ago, she was a miserable old hag, but I guess now I understand why she might have been so miserable at the time! haha! I wonder if she ever went tot he DJILJ support group? I wonder if that might have been around when she came out? I also met her partner. Anyway, we've been emailing, and we have, I think, without saying it specifically, made peace with our past selves and the shitty relationship we had in my teens.

I went to the local pride society meeting and on my first meeting the liked my input and ideas so much they all voted then and there to dispense with my application process and put me on the board!! So yeah, I am practically a card carrying member of the LGBTQ community now. LOL we just don't have cards. Also, I start my practicum in a little over a week, and I got the placement I wanted with the local LGBTQ and sexual health community support organization. I am really excited and impatient to start!

Also, I re-dyed my hair varying shades of blue purple and pink and it looks super cool! lol

2. rachael1954

Thanks for the update! :slight_smile: Sounds like things are good :slight_smile:

3. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like so many positive things are happening for you! That's wonderful :slight_smile:

4. mellie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It is kind of funny the way people can surprise us with the way they react to things. You think you have someone pegged and sometimes they completely baffle you. It warms my heart to read about the acceptance and understanding of your family. And good for you for getting out there. I am really struggling to find community here but I'm trying. I admire your courage!

5. CapColors

Well done all around!!!

6. bi2me

7. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow Cameron, sorry about your Uncle, but it sounds like things have started popping for you. That is so nice that the new group has been so accepting of you and your ideas.

8. CameronMR

I always knew where to find the outside community, but it's so spread out... I only know a handful of the more visible ones. The rest are off in the woodwork.... Lol

You'll find yours! I have faith in you!! (*hug*)

---------- Post added 13th Nov 2015 at 07:41 PM ----------

They actually listen and let me speak!!! Lol. I need to leave the kids at home and hang out with adults more often.... LOL

9. Viator

Wonderful update, glad you were able to see your family accept your son - for his sake, and for yours. All this on top of parenthood, it is quite a road.