1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An Update: Marriage Counseling, Hope, and Moving Forward

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by mellie, Nov 12, 2015.

1. mellie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My husband and I had a really good counseling session today and I thought it was perhaps time for an update, I really want to share and write about it because it was just beautiful.

As most of you already know, I came out to my husband almost two months ago, and he took it surprisingly well. I've been sitting here waiting for the anger stage but it just hasn't come -- probably because it was, as he put it, "a long time coming" and he kind of expected it. He had time to process before I actually came out. Since then, I have come out to my family and my close friends, and I am no longer hiding.

My husband and I have had many conversations since then, and we have come up with a long-term plan for separation. We have two small children so we are taking it step-by-step and we both agree that we are "divorcing but united." Our relationship has actually flourished since the revelation and I think we are as close as we have ever been. I've noticed he's even become extremely sensitive to anti-gay remarks and has been posting things on his facebook in support of gay marriage, same-sex parenting, etc. Not only has he been civil and loving towards me, but he's been extremely supportive and he's been a huge advocate. We've even gotten to the point where we can joke about it, have a sense of humor about the situation, which might seem pretty odd from the outside, but considering the weight of it, it's a relief to be able to laugh with him.

Today, in counseling, we really opened up about our hopes for the future -- that we hope that this all leads to a BIGGER family for our kids rather than a BROKEN family. That one day we'd like to be able to ALL go on family vacations or spend holidays together, with our future partners. That this is what would be best for our kids. I expressed my concerns about him finding a significant other (I think it'll happen for him before it happens for me, he's the "relationship" type) -- what will she think of our friendship / unity in parenting? Will it change the way he feels about it? Will she cause a roadblock in this grand plan we have? And we both realized we stand firm in our values . . . that anyone who enters our lives has to understand from the very beginning that we ARE united in parenting, that we ARE friends, and that this is what we believe is best for our children -- take it or leave it.

He actually said, "It's a conversation I plan to have on the second or third date. Look, my ex-wife is gay. You have to be cool with that. We teach our children that love is love. We are also successfully co-parenting, and we remain friends for our kids. You have to be cool with that too. If you're not, that's okay, but we can't go any further."

Wow. Right? Wow. What. A. Man. And I trust him on this, because if there was ever a "man of his word," he is it. We actually made the therapist teary-eyed today. Our admiration, respect, and love for one another, despite the circumstances, has shocked even me.

I guess I just want this to serve as hope. Hope that this can be done. That WE define what FAMILY is. That just because our lives may not turn out to be what we were taught was "good" and "right," just because we separate or divorce, doesn't mean our family is BROKEN. My husband will forever be my family, and I his. We haven't taught our children all the lessons we were meant to yet -- our hope is through this experience, they will learn the value of living an authentic life, the value of family and love (and the many things "family" and "love" can mean and encompass), and on top of it all, how much THEY are valued and loved, by both of their parents (and maybe, one day, step-parents), wholly and unconditionally, for exactly who they are and who they will become.

2. PlaidGlove

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just want to congratulate you on your courage, honesty, and compassion for one another! I hope I get to meet a woman who's as strong and courageous as you are one day! :slight_smile:

3. Boatman

Well, that brought a tear to my eye. This is so nice to hear.

4. CameronMR

I am so happy for you that he's being so amazingly supportive! My ex and I want something similar in the future. Also, Love your pic!

5. Shadowsylke

Wow that was beautiful, Mellie. Just beautiful. You are showing us the sun that can come out after the storms, and it is lovely to see!

6. bi2me

Thank you for this update! It brought tears to my eyes, and hope it all works out just as you are hoping and planning. :slight_smile:

7. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My wife is constantly reminding me how I broke up the family, and your husband is so positive and wonderful by saying that you have an opportunity to expand the family.

#7 SiennaFire, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  8. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is such an inspiring update, and I'm so happy for you that you are in such a positive place with the divorce and with the strong friendship you and your husband have.

9. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A great story, beautifully expressed! That's more or less where my wife and I are at, 18 months after I came out to her. Although our children are grown, we are still a family; we still live together, but we are moving, slowly, toward separation. We're both dating, and our current partners have met each other — in fact, we've all four had dinner together. Like you, acceptance of our former spouses and their continuing role in our lives is a non-negotiable for new romantic interests. Good luck to you both!

10. confusedandi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am so happy for you! I wish my husband had responded this way!

11. Lindsey23

Wow! I'm impressed at how quickly you two have reached this point. My husband and I are in a similar place, although I came out to him over two years ago and he definitely hit the anger stage. Not a fun time. But now we are friends again. It's funny, without the pressure to act like husband and wife we are getting along much better.

I love this. Divorce always implies a broken family but it doesn't have to be that way.

12. mellie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You guys are so encouraging. Thank you. (&&&)

I'm looking forward to updating about how this whole process plays out. I feel good with the plan we have. I used to feel like happiness just wasn't in the cards for me. I finally feel like I might be happy and fulfilled in life one day--whether it be living authentically, independently solo or with someone that I want to share the rest of my life with. At this point, I am at peace with either outcome. No more feeling stifled and helpless. I finally feel like I'm in the driver's seat of my own life and while I know there's inevitably construction and detours along the way, I get to take responsibility for my own life and decide how to manage it all.

#12 mellie, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  13. CapColors

Wow, this is awesome, and really just makes me hope for the best in people. Best wishes for both of you.

14. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Great share Mellie. I'm happy for you and your family.

15. myloveralice

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you for sharing this. I needed to hear it today