1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out can be humbling.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by 50ishandout, Nov 15, 2015.

1. 50ishandout

Although it can be nerve wracking Coming Out can also be such a Humbling experience. I started to Come Out back in March and after a Facebook Outing and a Facebook rant about a homophobic member of my hockey league pretty much everyone knows I'm Out.

Last night I went to a local social club where a friend's band was performing. Many people that I've known since grade school were there. At least 6 people came up and congratulated me on Coming Out, telling me how happy they were for me.

The most touching encounter was with a friend who is a member of the local police department. In some way through living in my city, holding elective office, civic organizations, and working at the local court I know a vast majority of the police department. I am friends with many of them on Facebook.

We were talking and he offered his congratulations and support. He also said that I had been the topic of discussion at the local Police Department, and how the vast majority of the members of the police department were so very supportive of me.

I couldn't believe that I was actually the topic of discussion at the police department and that I have so much support. I've had individual support from members of the police department , however he said to a man the department was solidly supportive.

I'm still taken back by his statement and the way he said it.

It truly is a new time. I'm so Blessed to have the support system that I have.

2. Shadowsylke

That's wonderful. :slight_smile:

People can really surprise us sometimes. A lot of the fear of coming out is the fear of negative reactions from our friends, families, neighbors...but this really isn't necessarily the case, and sometimes we find that there is so much more support out there than we realized, and we needn't have been so afraid. Congrats!

3. CapColors

That's really cool. Cheers.

4. Lindsey23

I'm glad it was for something positive! Seriously though, that's really cool. I'm surprised by how supportive people have become. Times have changed. It seems people listen now and at least try to understand. Just 20 years ago people were more likely to compare being gay to being a pedophile. Coming out meant having to defend yourself from baseless accusations. The change in attitude is amazing.

5. tb777

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Very cool! I've gotten nothing but support from the people I've come out as bi to as well. I'm not so sure that I would have gotten that same level of support 30 years ago....better late than never, though!

6. Chicagoblue

That is so great. Good for you.

7. 50ishandout

People are truly good. Enjoy life, live yours the way you want to.

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Before we come out, we imagine all sorts of negative things. We imagine the shrill voices of hate and bigotry are representative of the majority, but the truth is often different. The world is changing and the old attitudes that would keep us closeted and fearful are dying out. I'm not suggesting it's easy, by any means and nor am I saying that the homophobes are a small minority (yet), but a minority they most definitely are and as time passes they will come to see how they are on the wrong side of things.

Some of the best responses I've had have come from real "men's men". Behind the tough and hard exterior I found respect, admiration and friendship for the "bravery" I had shown, and I can confirm that it was quite humbling. On the other hand, they were humbled by my perceived show of strength, so..

The fear that silences us is often overplayed in our mind. I suppose it does take a certain amount of bravery to come out, but contrast that to the hell of self denial and living a closeted life and there is no comparison. It's harder to maintain the lie than it is to break it. I know that for a fact.

9. 50ishandout

So true. I cannot believe as you put it the Men's Men, and how supportive they have been. Although people say you should have Come Out years ago, it is a much different time now. People "Get It ".

To live a life and enjoy yourself is wonderful.

#9 50ishandout, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  10. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Shorter Patrick: When the pain of staying in the closet overtakes the fear of coming out, you will come out.