1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got told I'm not trans. That trauma made me do it

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by TobaccoFlower, Nov 21, 2015.

1. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So my wife has decided that despite my countless thoughts on my past and my feelings towards my own gender as a child that I must be cis and just confused.

Recently I got raped. And honestly I haven't been taking it well. But it was not violent and not at all linked to my gender. I am pan, and so was my rapist. It would have happened regardless of my gender.

ANYWAY. I have ptsd to some extent I suppose. I'm in denial a bit. I haven't been coping well but I have been learning. She says I scream in my sleep about my rape. I dream mainly about how nice it feels to just feel like a woman for once lately, haha. But honestly she has a LOT to gain from me not being transgender. She has told me repeatedly that I'm not a woman but that I'm just a really feminine man and held it over my head that if I transition or change my body in any way that she will not be attracted to me and she will divorce me. (Because I'm subconsciously changing my past to make excuses for disassociating with my body) she claims that transitioning would make her no longer want to be with me because it would make me a liar and i woukd be "different" and "unattractive."

I have countless memories of how I used to consider my gender or want to play a girly role in make believe games (like every time)but also made excuses for not following through with it as a kid. Mainly these were that it just felt bad. Like I would be picked on or wrong for playing a girl rle and that I wouldn't feel normal. Which is valid for her argument. Except I also have ALWAYS stated openly to everyone for years (long before the trauma) that I know that I am not like other boys. In short I don't know WHAT I am but I'm NOT a boy. I'm comfortable and relaxed presenting as a girl or feeling like one of the girls. I'm happy that way. I remember always having girls for friends and loving being one of the group. As a girl. I feel like I am who I am and I am a woman. Always have been.

So I'm curious. Has anyone else came to you after coming out and gotten angry at you for not adhering to their ideas of your gender and tried to prove to you how wrong you are?

#1 TobaccoFlower, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  2. skip

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I came out to my mom, (as a transgender male, ftm), she told me that she simply didn't believe me, and continues to point out anything I do that seems in any way feminine, (like the cat I drew on my physics homework, to that one time when I wore a feminine shirt) to try and 'prove' that I don't identify as male. She tells me that I must be pretending to not like 'girly' things, and if I pick out the blue curtains instead of the pink ones she says I'm just doing it to make it look like I'm choosing boys things, and makes a sort of angry 'you're stupid to think that' scoff and rolls her eyes if I mention that I'm a guy. She also gets mad when other people use my preferred names and pronouns.

3. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I don't get why all of a sudden such a lgbt ally is being so.... cruel. She told me I pulled it out of my a**. "Or no. [Your rapist ]must have pulled it out of your a** for you."

4. AlyasJane

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was married (from 18-22). The relationship was abusive, and I started to develop a separate space for myself as a survival mechanism, mainly via nerdy table top gaming, which gave me an excuse to get out of the house. Once I had a space where I could be myself, I started fooling around with a girl I liked. My ex-husband knew, and zoned in on it when I told him I was leaving. He responded with rape, and then threw my non-responsiveness in my face with a bunch of homophobic slurs and other choice stuff.

There is clearly a difference between this and what you're describing (though that comment about your traumatic experience from your SO is way out of line in my opinion), but I relate to the hurt and the replaying of identity questions in the face of someone trying to use trauma as a tool to undo you. As someone else here told me back in April, trauma inflects our interactions, but it doesn't define our orientation/identity. It took me like ten years to figure that out.

*hugs*

5. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, that is the most horrible thing I have ever read.... Wtf... (*hug*) I mean, I understand her having trouble coping with your identity to SOME extent... But you were raped?! And she's using YOUR RAPE AGAINST YOU?! Oh baby girl... (*hug*) I just don't even know what to say to that... That's fucked up... (*hug*)

....okay... Despite that... I'll try to throw in my two cents on the subject of people trying to... Convince you your not trans... It's a shock sometimes, some people especially people who care about you don't want to believe it's true... So they kind of do the opposite mental math we do to dissect our trans status growing up, trying to look for signs and what not... I think it's a strong denial that is born from a place of worry, and I'd like to think in most cases a place of love, not wanting us to go through something so hard... But that's probably wishful thinking... (*hug*) stay strong sweetie.... I hope things get better...

6. Distant Echo

This. This would be enough for me to end the relationship on the spot. Your rapist must have pulled it out of your....what the actual???!!!

Honestly. What the actual? She isn't going to accept you for you, she is going out of her way to hurt you. Is this the way you want to live? With someone who is using the rape as a weapon against you

Holy crap. I would seriously have left on the spot.

#6 Distant Echo, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  7. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Please don't. This "abuse causes someone to be gay/trans/queer" business has gone on for far too long, and used to make it seem like a choice, while also making us seem somehow disordered. It's not your fault.

Now, I have my own ideas on "why" some folk who might have identified as gender-nonconforming men or women "decide" to transition and live full time, but in the end, does it really matter? They don't deserve all the hate thrown at them, either way.

I spoke to a trans woman on another forum who shared her life story, and immediately, other members started using her early trauma to erase her being trans. Even if it were so, this is who she is, and trying to discredit her was just awful.

Think about it: she has everything to lose, and you have everything to gain. Partners have been known to lie, abuse, or stay in-denial for years, just to hold on. It's selfish and cowardly, even if understandable. This is painful for everyone involved, and yes, you will lose friends and family, but that's how you know who is true to you (plus you'll make more on the way).

There's no excuse for invalidating your experiences, saying you'd be unattractive, or any of that. I've had people tell me I'm confused, curious, "really" straight/gay, in terms of my bisexuality, and a few doctors tried to scare me with stories of trans women losing all ability to enjoy sexual activities. The amount of ignorance out there can be exhausting.

8. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm so sorry that you had and have to go through this. My experiences are very similar to yours, my family are latching on to my past trauma of having cancer as the source of all my problems. They claim that I have never shown any signs that I was trans and they would have seen something. The narrative repeats itself among pretty much all of my family. I'm confused and was influenced by others, adopting a label which I see as something that will solve all of my problems. Like you, I've been attacked without regards for my feelings in a fairly cruel manner as in their eyes I am about to make a huge mistake and I am going to ruin my life and as such they should do anything in their power to stop me. Your wife seems to be responding in the same way and her threats and cruel words show a large amount of desperation.

Leaving your wife is obviously a last resort, especially because you have children. Is your wife seeing a therapist, one thing that I've learned is that when we transition not only we go through a journey, so do our family. In a similar way to which we need to learn to accept ourselves, they also need to learn to accept us for who we are and some find it harder than others.

I hope everything works out in the end. You are such a kind and lovely person and it pains me to see you going through such an awful situation.

Much hugs and love, (*hug*)

Evelyn

9. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't doubt she loves me. And I guess I'm playing the excuses game but she has mental problems that make it very hard for her to reign in her severe anxiety and the backlash it can cause. But. You calling me baby girl almost made me cry in felt so nice. *hug*

10. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ugh. It deleted my whole post I just wrote.
    Yaeli- you always have something wise to say and I've gotten so much help from you. I know she might benefit from.going to her therapist. She suffers from a LOT of instability and personal trauma and aspergers. So. She would most likely benefit from it but I can't make her go and I know her anxiety makes going terrifying sometimes.

Gravechild- you're right about her having everything to lose. Like I said she has severe anxiety and see where she is getting desperate but I have such a hard time discrediting her assertion that she knows me better than I do because in the past she has been right. But. Like I told her. I have been with me for 22 years. Her only six. And. I guess. I'm scared that she is right that my rape is making me view all of this in a different light. Even though it occurred at the same time I don't feel as if the rape has anything to do with it. I stumbled upon the transgender issue on accident and if anything it has made this journey harder. It just seemed to validate my whole life. Like everything made more sense.

Inamirrordarkly- I don't know that she will accept the woman I am. But I know she accepts the rest of me. I've not been great to her. I've abused her as well and as much as I am NOT hurting her ever again she just. She is right to want to take some of the frustration out on me. I've cheated on her. I've hit her before. Our fights escalate as she starts pushing buttons and I'm wrong for not sitting down and relaxing. She won't let me walk out because of her abandonment problems, haha, but I'm no saint. I'm 100 percent cured of the cruelty but. I'll say she has a bit of a free pass to stab at my heart a bit.

Overall it. Just. Feels so incredibly amazing to be treated like the girl I am though and this site has been so wonderful for me. I'm grateful to all of you. I couldn't make it throught my day without seeing something on this forum.
    Right now I can't get out of bed and I can't sleep bease I took the couch in order to not sleep near her but you all help take the edge off.
    I just hope there is light somewhere in all of this because it is hard to see past the lump in my throat and my overwhelming need for someone to hold me like a little girl. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. myloveralice

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This is just a horrible thing to say. I see she is angry, hurt and confused but to indicate that the trauma you experienced resulted in you being trans is not logical nor supportive. It's like blaming you for being raped, or that you engaged in it with some sort of desire. Sadly, this view of sexual abuse is not uncommon and is very shaming and confusing to the victim. I'm sorry this happened to you and PTSD is often the result and can be very serious. I do hope that you have a safe place to talk about this (including here!). Be kind to yourself (&&&)

#11 myloveralice, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  12. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think for now I'm taking the day off from her. She has started cooking me desserts and I'm not having it. Going to get dressed in the cutest clothes I have tonight and hang out with the girls