1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Event Last Night

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by mellie, Nov 22, 2015.

1. mellie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So last night was the big event I've been fretting over. I had an absolute blast. I was welcomed, not judged at all, and even quite a bit doted on (as the newbie)! It was entirely couples--I was the only single person--which was honestly fine, because I've made a personal commitment to remain unattached as I sort through my baggage and clean up my life. There were young couples with kids, older couples, and everyone made a real effort to chat with me, give me advice, and shower me with squeezes. I ended up staying after everyone was gone, and chatting with the hosts, a lesbian couple who have been happily coupled for 28 years.

I'm feeling much better about this, you guys! I hope this is encouragement for anyone who feels that, by going out there and telling your story, you are going to be shamed or rejected by the community. Definitely has not been the case thus far for me.

2. Athena33

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you for sharing that! I do have a worry that once I am out there I won't be accepted because of my late arrival.

3. bi2me

4. CapColors

5. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's wonderful!!

6. idsm

Yay for you!! :thumbsup:

Hopefully you didn´t try your ´cunning linguistics´ on any of them, though.. :lol:

7. setnyx

awesome! so happy for you!

8. mellie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    No linguistics, haha! Since it was all couples, that probably would have made things a tad awkward. :grin:

9. LBSmitty

Out Status:
    A few people
    awesome! So glad it was a good experience for you. Is this just the local LGBT group or something?

10. Shadowsylke

That's so great, Mellie! So happy to hear that you were so warmly accepted! I have found that lgbt people I've met don't generally judge me for coming out later in life or for having been married to a man...it's been kind of a non-issue, which is great.

And so great too about the lesbian couple who have been together for 28 years...I hope to be that some day! :slight_smile:

11. Julietta

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for letting us know Mellie. I'm really pleased for you that you've found a little community already.

I've only met up with two people in real life so far from another forum I'm on - one was a potential date and went a bit (lot) wrong but we've managed to communicate since. The other was just a friendly coffee and she was a really lovely warm person.

12. mellie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes. I live in a small town -- not many (out) gays around here, honestly. It was a PFLAG meeting, but they did a potluck . . . which are a source of anxiety for me as it is, because I'm a (very non-obnoxious, non-judgmental) vegan. But they honestly gave me shit about it like I had known them forever, so that probably served as more of an icebreaker than anything else. (!)

13. bi2me

It sounds like a lot of fun! I'm glad you went and that it was so awesome! :slight_smile: