1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it necessary to announce your sexuality?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by mellie, Nov 23, 2015.

1. mellie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've posted about something similar in the past, but now that I'm separating from my husband and I'm out of the closet, I'm putting even more thought into whether or not it is necessary to proclaim my sexuality. My family members have been asking when I'm going to tell extended family members, some of which I never keep in contact with aside from Facebook. And I sit there and think, why do I need to tell them? Wouldn't it be sort of awkward for me to just call out of nowhere and say, "Hey, I'm a lesbo, just thought I'd let you know."

On the flip side, I'm somewhat involved in the gay community, I'm not in the closet anymore, and I really don't want them to find out via Facebook and be like, wtf, why didn't you tell me? I don't want them to think I'm ashamed of who I am.

I'm looking for some input. Heteros don't make big announcements about how straight they are, so why should I feel obligated to tell people I'm gay?

2. MatH

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah, I know, but it's like, I hate Coca Cola, and whenever I'm at dinner with someone who doesn't know that, I have to tell them, or I'll have to drink Coke (which I won't), because that's what everyone else drinks.

I mean, I guess this doesn't really apply to your problem, but still. If you don't want to tell them, then don't.

3. CameOutSwinging

My wife made that argument to me in a fight. "I don't talk about how I'm straight, why do you have to talk about how you're bi?!" I sort of see her point, but then again I don't. Because being queer puts you into more of a community than being straight does. Not that you must fit into the community, but it certainly is something that makes you feel a bit more accepted.

Honestly, I wouldn't post on FB personally coming out, but I'd love to be able to share articles about gay/bi life when I see interesting ones and be able to openly say why I find it interesting if anybody asks.

The only time I really go out of my way to say I'm attracted to men is when there's a hot guy listening, haha.

4. Shadowsylke

Well, if you are putting stuff on Facebook, I don't think anyone could assume you are ashamed of anything...so there's that.

But you are absolutely right...straight people don't have to announce to everyone that they are straight, so why should we? What does it matter who I'm sleeping with? I don't know who my extended family are all sleeping with, and I don't care.

I guess if you want to tell them, tell them. If you don't interact with them and don't care what they know, then don't sweat it. I don't think you need to make some big pronouncement, unless that's something you want to do. You may feel that you have worked so hard to get to this point of freedom that a pronouncement is in order...or, you may feel it is your private business and people can find out from you organically over time or when they ask. Either way is fine.

Hmm...I guess that wasn't much of an answer, was it? LOL

5. Julietta

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think it's necessary to announce sexuality.

I haven't 'announced' anything to most of my friends / family (who honestly won't care) but as and when / if the conversation comes up then I just say I'm only interested in dating women. I haven't been with a man for well over 10 years -I'm not at all attracted to men- so it's hardly going to be a shock to them.

I'm not trying to hide anything or be closeted but I think until the time comes I'm actually in a romantic relationship it's not really necessary to start suddenly announcing out of the blue oh hey everyone I'm lesbian / gay now!

6. mellie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I love this analogy. I am not in hiding at all, so I guess the way I see it is, there's no reason to tell anyone I don't like coke unless I am in a position where I'm with someone and they are drinking coke and they are asking me to drink coke, and then I'll politely and proudly respond, "No thank you, I like Pepsi."

7. CameOutSwinging

Total aside - I wrote a short one-act play in college called "Coming In," about a man who is about to be married to another man but reveals that he is straight. The whole reason I wrote it was because I thought it was silly that we have to "come out," and the whole thing is played as a joke (the mother blames herself for the son being straight since she let him play sports, stuff like that).

I remember the audience being pretty quiet for a bit of the play, I guess as they figured out the plot. Then I have the would-be-husband call the woman who has been sleeping with his fiance "Homo wrecker" and the laughter ensued. Every joke hit after that. I wish I still had the performance on video! Or the script somewhere at least. Ah well.

8. mellie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I definitely see what you're saying. I post whatever I want on Facebook. If I want to post an article that is pro-gay, I do. Honestly, my husband has been the one who has been posting the most pro-gay articles. I guess he wants to show me his support in that way, and I love him for it. But my friends know that I am generally very liberal, and I do have a few gay friends, so I don't think they even question it.

I like the idea of people finding out organically. My husband and I are separating because we are incompatible, that's all they need to know. And when (if?) I get a girlfriend, they will realize that I'm gay. I announced to my immediate family and close friends because I needed support and people to talk to. If I tell people I don't talk to anyway, that doesn't benefit me at all, in fact I think I am opening myself up to criticism which I don't really need at this time. My extended family are all Irish Catholics, very conservative.

That said, my mom is DYING to tell people. "Have you told Grandma? I think you need to tell Grandma. I'll tell Grandma . . . I mean, if you want me to." Mom, I'm 30, Grandma doesn't need to know, it'll give her a heart attack. :roflmao:

---------- Post added 23rd Nov 2015 at 04:40 PM ----------

Have you seen that YouTube video of a world in which being gay is the norm, and the girl realizes she is straight? A teacher somewhere showed it in his classroom and got in huge trouble, so it made national news. The video itself is poignant, eye-opening. Look it up if you haven't, it's called "Love Is All You Need (Full Length)," and reminds me very much of your play.

9. MatH

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  10. YeahpIdk

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhNXxlMvo08[/YOUTUBE]

Send this in a mass email! :icon_bigg

...okay. I don't know why it's not just putting the whole video up.

---------- Post added 23rd Nov 2015 at 02:05 PM ----------

Haha, sorry, I deleted the original because I wanted the video to come up!
    My friend sent me that song a few months ago -- definitely could use that too! :lol::lol:

#10 YeahpIdk, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  11. Distant Echo

I don't plan on announcing anything except to my kids and I don't plan on doing that til around xmas and it willbe a quiet convo. I hope lol.
    As for everyone else? Meh.they can figure it out for themselves. :grin:

12. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have the same debate now. Because my family is huge and only half of them know. Theyre all coming for the holidays to visit and I dont know whether to tell them or wait until I have someone to introduce to them... My mom is dying to tell everyone too. She's always like: "so can I tell people youre gay now?". Im like "mom i dont even know what I am. Give me a break to figure stuff out." But if anyone asks or inquires, I just say Im not straight.

I think it's best to let them organically find out when you get a girlfriend. Straight people dont come out, why should we?

13. mellie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  14. YeahpIdk

Gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gaaaay. Gaaaay. Gaaaay. Gaaaay. Gay gay gay gay gay.

Grace is the best. Lol.

15. mellie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I especially enjoyed her gay robot.

16. YeahpIdk

It's the gay roller coaster that gets me. Every time.

17. spirals

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think there is a difference compared to not announcing if you are straight. Everyone ASSUMES I am straight and that feels uncomfortable to me. I want to wear a sign that says "not straight"! I just started a new job last week and of course everyone is asking about husband and kids, and as I have both I am immediately straight to everyone.

But maybe it's just the phase I am in of really coming out to myself, and wanting to tell the world. Once you are comfortable with it and don't have all the baggage of lies anymore, then I guess it is different. I'd like to get to that stage!

18. mellie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I also just started a new job, so I get what you're saying. I obviously don't wear a wedding band any more because I'm getting a divorce but, like you said, everyone asks about husband and kids from the get-go and I'm not going to start a new job by airing all my drama. Though I'm sure everyone's gaydar is blaring and they are super confused. :roflmao:

19. driedroses

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find this so funny, personally, because I work with my (now out) gay husband. He worked with these people long before I did, and when he came out, several people were like, well - I thought it was bizarre when I met your wife! One of our newest people even said that when I mentioned I was married to him that her thought was - he's not the first gay guy I've known to have a wife. He came out about a month after she started...

It's easier for me, I think, because I never announced that I was straight, so being bisexual - so what? Yeah, I was married to a man, and now I'm dating a woman and whatever. Nothing has changed - except your perception. But I completely agree that announcing your sexuality far and wide is not a necessary thing.

Unfortunately, because we live in a heteronormative society, when I say I'm dating - even to people who know I'm bisexual, the response is, how did you meet him? So, at that point, if they don't know, I have to decide whether to be open or to let them live in their heteronormative world. One person, who has been a great support through this whole process, who doesn't know I'm bisexual, actually asked - how did you meet this person? I loved that acceptance that I could be whomever I am with no assumptions. It was amazing. I wish we could all be like that and I'm working toward being that person as well.

#19 driedroses, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  20. mellie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Sometimes we don't give people enough credit for intuition. I was first introduced to the LGBT group I'm part of at a festival in our town where they had a booth set up. When I went to the LGBT event the other night, one of the girls said to me, "You know, when you walked by the booth that day, before you even stopped, (the other people working the booth) were trying to hook me up with you. They said, 'How about her? She's super cute.' They didn't know I had a girlfriend at that point."

I responded, "But I was there with my husband and kids. How could they have assumed I was gay?"

She looked me up and down and said, "We could tell." :roflmao: Touche, my friend.

I think sometimes we really wear blinders when we're extremely involved in a situation. My brother's response when I told him I was gay? "Yeah, I assumed you were."

So, chances are, I'd make this big announcement, and nobody would give a shit because they already have it figured out.

#20 mellie, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015