1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My wife (soon to be ex) won't let go...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by middleGay, Nov 23, 2015.

1. middleGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey All,

First let me introduce myself. I am 38 years old, I've been married for about 9 years and have two kids. It's been about 2.5 years since I told my wife that I was gay. She took it much better than I expected, to be honest I told her I was bisexual at first, I honestly wasn't 100% sure and I struggled to tell her something so brutal although I now realize it was a mistake not just being honest about my suspicions of being gay rather than bi.

Almost two years ago I told her I needed to move out. She asked me if I needed to think or if that was just it, I wish I had said the later but I didn't although honestly I wasn't ready or even sure, I did need some time to contemplate my future. Over time I got over my enthusiasm for my new found identity and calmed down and I didn't do anything irresponsible. Although, I in no way was avoiding responsibilities for the kids I did make some bad choices initially but over time I calmed down and became heavily involved in my kids lives again.

It took me about a year to find the courage and make the decision to end the marriage. It was a horrible, heart wrenching decision. It's my great failure that I didn't act faster for her sake, yet I felt I should give the decision a lot of thought, she deserved that much. Yet I knew I was gay, which is effectively an unmovable object but she talked a lot about mixed orientation marriages and how she wanted me to come home. During the time we were separated she had moments of kindness and many moments of incredible hate and said incredibly horrible things. It was a shockingly stressful period.

I admit, I avoid conflict and I let it all drag on too long.

About 6 months ago I told her we needed to divorce. She is a huge drama queen, I think borderline historonic personality disorder and my telling her that was a massive deal. She cried and cried, she begged, she used the kids at times. Pretty quickly she located a lawyer and started divorce proceedings. We haven't yet wrapped up the divorce, I felt we should take our time, heal a little before agreeing on how we split custody of the kids. Regardless, we are close to the end of that process yet she still won't let go. She still wants to know who I spend time with, what I do, and she insists that if I was in a relationship she would be 100 times worse. I shudder to think.

She saw a therapist for a few sessions (I have had a lot of therapy since this began and continue to do so) but she soon stopped. I do think the therapist pursued the wrong course with her, she should have focused on improving her rather than on the problem (me being gay).

She still cries sometimes, I do know it's dragged on but I would think that in two years she would gain some acceptance? I know I made mistakes by not being clearer or moving faster, however I am not rash person, I make very deliberate decisions especially when they are life altering. Yet she refuses to let go, she alternates between being horribly hurtful, spiteful and then friendly and supportive.

I have told her how my wish is that one day we can find our friendship again. It's so important to the kids but she says that won't happen, she'll never get over me and she will always be horrible to me.

This is a small fraction of the story, but I am hoping that someone has some advice, some words of wisdom for how I can learn to disconnect and simply love her from afar but not let her anger and spitefulness drag me down. And secondly, any advice on how I can encourage her to find her own feet, to learn that she can recover and be happy again and how we can be the best of friends one day, if she is willing, and to be awesome parents to our two beautiful and innocent children.

I have never felt so low, so unworthy of love. I have often thought about death, how others would benefit from me passing away, although I am not suicidal. I am optimistic, I know my life can be happy and whole I just am struggling to find the path. I suppose I am mostly just hoping to find some solace here.

Thanks for reading...

2. CapColors

You sound like a good guy who has really figured this all out more or less. I'm sorry she's still so clingy and hurtful.

Honestly, I doubt there is much you can do for her directly. She seems pretty disengaged from your own reality and is in a reality that differs quite a lot.

Can she work? I find that having a job can go a long way to giving people the means and courage to pursue happiness rather than hang on to resentment. I guess maybe see if you can nudge her toward something healthier? I doubt she'd listen to you, but maybe you still trust a family member of hers to hear you out?

Also, and this almost goes without saying: try and hang on to your kids. If she hates you, she'll try and poison them against you. If they live primarily with her and not equally, it will be hard to stop that happening.

It's a tough situation. Best wishes.

#2 CapColors, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  3. comingout1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First, I think you are super brave for coming out and being honest in your 30's to your self and to your wife. I just came out this past January 2015 at 48 years old. My wife was hurt, not entirely surprised, and has been generally supportive. However, she too is not looking for things to change. Our kids are still relatively young, tweens, and I think she is satisfied with us being a family unit.

The problem is I am craving a connection with another male. She dismisses any possibility of that while we are married and wants to make no progress on that front either.

I believe as things progress and I find my courage to push through like you did that I will end up in a similar situation. I have also done therapy, where she has not. I have gotten a bunch of books and read all I could about this subject.

I think easier said than done, in the end, we all have to take responsibility for our own happiness. I don't believe you can make another person be happy if they are hell bent against it.

We are worthy of love buddy, times were so different even just 5 years ago. Gay men are much more accepted in our society. I think back on how I was raised, growing up and being gay almost wasn't an option. Between church and my parents expectations, etc. Times were so different.

I, as I'm sure you did, fell in love with your wife. In the beginning sex was good. (Not as all encompassing, 4-5x a weekend, as some of my friends were talking about but not horrible either.)

As I aged things became clearer. I started to understand my sexuality much better. I thought I was bi at first too, then I realized nope I really do like men more.

I have been so angry and frustrated with myself for not addressing this sooner, but I am starting to realize as of late, that I need to forgive myself, I did not know any better at the time. I am trying to refocus my anger on moving forward and taking action to make my life better.

Hang in there buddy!

4. middleGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, sometimes it's hard to hang on to that, it's easy to think I am a horrible failure as a person because I didn't figure this all out.

She works yes, she has a successful career, it would all be much harder without that!

Sadly, I do not trust any of her family members not to distort everything I say and make things worse :frowning2:

Right now they kids live with her, but part of the divorce is time sharing and that will be 50/50. She is mostly good about not saying negative things to the kids, sometimes she cries in front of them or says some things which I really think she shouldn't but it could be much worse.

5. middleGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, ditto on the brave thing! There are many times I have questioned my choice to come out, I had a very comfortable, safe life before. However, I found myself slipping further and further into sadness and I realized I was letting other people make my choices for me. So despite all the pain now, I know it's the only decision that gives me a future that's survivable.

The kids are young, they barely comprehend that things have changed but even that burden is something I feel terrible about placing on them. Of course, it would all be easier if my wife was nicer. I get she is angry but how long is long enough to put myself through her emotional meat #######?

I am just desperately hoping that this difficult phase passes, it's taken a huge toll on me. I don't want to discourage you, I think it's the best option overall, but if you make the decision to separate then move quickly once you do, it's easier for everyone as much as that itself seems like a betrayal.

I hope I am worthy of love... I try to be. I think I am.

I did indeed love my wife and I still do in many ways and yes, honestly at first it was "yes sex!!" and there was exploration and all those things and I thought, well I guess I'm straight. I mean, Gay guys aren't meant to enjoy sex with women right? I only wish I was that gay then I would never have ended up in this nightmare. Although I did end up with two impossibly beautiful kids so I wouldn't change anything, I must bear this burden and this time as best I can. So like you my sexuality sort of crept up on me, I thought about it at times when I was younger, had huge anxiety about it at various times but I lacked any real experiences to reflect on and help me to understand it. Sex with my wife was fine, good even so I must be straight. I recall the wedding night and having this sick feeling in my stomach that I just did the wrong thing, not that she was a bad girlfriend and wife but that this wasn't the right choice for me.

Over time things became clearer, as you mentioned. It was a relief in many ways to come to accept who I was. Many of the fears I had about myself disappeared and I felt proud of who I was. I also feel a lot of anger towards myself, why the hell didn't I just accept it back then? Why was I so scared? I've been told that you just know when you know, it's pointless to second guess that. I suppose, but it's hard not to be angry and it's hard not to spend a lot of time feeling guilty. My therapist told me that when I find it within myself to stop feeling guilty about what has happened that is when I'll be able to start to move on. I'm not there yet, I so wish I was. Life is so much harder right now so I keep trying to move forward but get dragged down by her anger and despair. If the kids weren't around I would wrap up any legal and logistical issues and move to another state, it's a fantasy I have at times. However, I wouldn't abandon the kids, they are often the only happy thing in all of this.

I just wish I knew how to distance myself, her words and actions still cut me so deep. I am doing this in many ways so she will have a chance of happiness, to find a guy who isn't gay. Of course, she says she was happy so from her perspective things have only gotten worse.

I'm trying to hang in there... I just wish I could see a light at the end of the tunnel.

6. driedroses

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is my best advice, and please understand that I come from the position of your wives, because I was there a year ago.

Forgive yourselves. I say this all the time to him. Forgive yourself. This is who you are and yes, it hurts people you truly love, but it hurts you as well to not be true to yourself. Trying to hang on and stick around and do all those things will most likely be more painful in the long run.

You say you've given her time, but keep giving her time and space. She needs it. You need it. The kids need it. That doesn't mean to give into her outbursts, but express that you understand it must be so difficult for her to deal with this. Make an effort to make things easier for her - even just taking the kids for an extra day or two when she's stressed or something. Encourage her to find herself, because she may have lost herself in the relationship; after all, you did.

And most importantly, be patient and unfortunately accept that she may never come around to accept this. Allow her to be that person but remember that it's on her - that you have done your best to end things well and to be respectful and kind and thoughtful. We all make mistakes and we all have to deal with the consequences of those mistakes, but if we can do so graciously, we will be better in the long run.

Honestly, life is short. Too short to be unhappy. Too short to be tethered to an untenable relationship. Give yourself the freedom to pursue your own happiness and (even if privately - if she won't accept it aloud) give her the freedom to pursue her happiness. What she does with that is her responsibility.

Best of luck, best wishes, and peace on both of you and your wives and children. Peace is the hardest thing to come by.

7. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi middleGay,

Welcome to EC :welcome:

I think that you are further along than you realize. You have physically separated from your wife, you have started the divorce process, and you appear reasonably comfortable being gay. You may want to have a look at the Stages Of Coming Out http://emptyclosets.com/home/pages/resources/coming-out/stages-of-coming-out.php

Having said that, you need to give somebody important in your life a break (the guy in the mirror) . I'm guessing that you felt that you had to hide your sexuality because of parental, religious, or societal pressures that it's not OK to be gay. I had a similar experience in that I felt shame in being gay. My desire to be "normal" was so strong and I was sufficiently bisexual that I was able to convince myself I was straight after meeting my wife. While the sex was nice, sex with guys is even better! Do you blame me for fooling my wife and ruining her life, or was I merely reacting to societal pressures?

I'm wondering if you still feel some shame about being gay? If so, I would suggest reading The Velvet Rage, which is a compelling read that has opened my eyes to the landscape of gay culture and even some of the things that I did to deal with the shame before coming out (and even before I came out to myself).

You can only control your reaction to your wife's behavior. When she is angry, she is probably coming from a place of hurt. You could try to be empathetic and listen. If that does not work or if she's trying to manipulate you (the latter was my experience where showing empathy was equated with a divorce concession), then you have to step outside yourself and not let her anger bother you. Begin to notice her dysfunctional behavior. Is she trying to bully or control you with her anger? Do you let her? Once you gain awareness of her actions, it's much easier to control your reaction.

HTH

#7 SiennaFire, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  8. middleGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I do still feel some shame. I notice it in myself at times. Thanks for the book recommendation, I will take a look.

She alternates between sad and angry and being ok. Her anger is often followed by sadness. I have realized over the last couple of days that I need to give her the gift of certainty. Yes I moved out some time ago, we are in the process of divorce and all of that, but she tells me she still has hope. It's a brutal thing to do to somebody, to rip away all sense of hope but at the same time I know I am making things worse for her. It's so hard, I am someone who mediates, I am a diplomat, I like everyone to be happy but none of that works in this situation. I am scared she will say terrible things to the kids, she has said things on occasions, although she is generally good. My kids are my heart and soul, I wish I could have 100% custody, but that won't happen and also they need their mother like they need their father.

I'm just trying to find strength to make it through this. @IrishJ posted in another thread that his greatest fear is not so much for his kids but whether he has the strength to hold it together. That's exactly my fear, how can I cope? My job is demanding, but I need the money, my wife alternates between being sweet and something from a horror movie and sleep is something that is a distant memory. I am making some positive changes soon though. The divorce will be wrapped up in a little while, I am moving to a different place in a few months which will make things simpler, I have started looking for a different job where I might find a little more happiness. Still, it's a brutal and distressing process, I am constantly exhausted.

I just wish I could find a break in it all. From the song... "A break that will make it ok..." A moment to catch my breath. If I suggest a trip away for myself, she says I am selfish, if I go I can almost guarantee there will be some emergency with the kids that I am not there to help with. I feel like I am in a nightmare of my making... how do I wake up?

9. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have been split from my ex for 5 almost 6 months, and I still get a lot of flack for things, but ending things was definitely worth it. Of course a big factor that helped was knowing my kids were fine with things. My girls are 10, 12 & 15 and they are very open-minded and strong willed young women. There is light to be found if you can get thru all the crap it takes to get there. I face a lot of the same anger from my ex, been called faggot more times than I could count, but whatever.....I can be "me" now. I would like things to be friendlier, but since that doesn't seem to be possible right now, I just keep as little contact as possible.

10. yeehaw

Ugh. I wrote a long reply and lost it.

So I too have an ex who vacilates between trying to be kind and being hateful. We separated almost a year ago and he has shown very little progress toward accepting the situation. I think the thing that has helped me the most has been to do my best to let go of trying to influence his behaviors or emotions as much as I possibly can. My therapist has been gently helping me see that when we were married I put huge amounts of effort into trying to make the world spin in a way that would result in my ex not behaving badly. And I kept it up after separating and divorcing. I have come to understand that that dynamic is one way to keep me "hooked" into him and his stuff. At first it was actually scary to me to let go of trying to manage his emotions (felt like I had to do it for the kids) but ultimately it allowed me to be more sane and emotionally present for my kids. He still behaves badly, as he did before, but I feel more distance from it now. And it's easier fore me to be more clear headed about what I need to be doing, and I believe it has allowed me to act more often from a place of wisdom and less often from a place of fear. I have no idea if any of this resonates for you and your situation, but if it does it's worth thinking about.

Also I agree completely with cap colors comments about your kids. I very strongly encourage you to stay as connected to them as you possibly can. Always show up for any parenting time that is allotted to you, don't badmouth their mom to them (I'm guessing you already knew that one), and stay tuned in to what keeps you and the kids feeling lovingly connected to each other in meaningful ways. And if things do get rough with your kids just stay persistently lovingly available no matter what.

#10 yeehaw, Nov 24, 2015
  11. middleGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for your heart felt response. I do try to give her time to find her peace, I've encouraged her to have girls nights out, to have a spa day and all those things. She often isn't interested. She doesn't have close friends, she has a very codependent relationship with her family and spends most of her time with them. She claims her life is all for the kids now, which often feels like a way to just hurt me and make me feel guilty. It's very hard to work with that, I know if she found a few friends that she enjoyed spending time with that it could transform her life, a evening of fun with genuine friends would give her a whole new perspective on life. Instead she plays the victim.

I hate conflict, I just want her to be ok, but I know I can't be responsible for it. I have to love my kids, get the divorce settled and just be as patient and understanding as possible, but give her space. I need to take charge of my life and this situation, get things done and let her heal or not, it's up to her.

I need to change jobs, simplify my life and focus on being a happy healthy person. I can offset any damage she does to the kids in the meantime, hopefully it will be minor, she mostly is good so I think it will be.

This is an awesome community, I wish I had joined sooner.

I do wish I could find some married gay guys like me in my area so we could meet for a beer or a coffee or whatever.

---------- Post added 24th Nov 2015 at 09:39 AM ----------

This!!!

It's exactly me!

---------- Post added 24th Nov 2015 at 09:41 AM ----------

I actually posted a long reply to SiennaFire, there was a message that it had to be approved by a moderator... perhaps it contained a term that matched on a blacklist? I hope it shows up eventually!

12. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was thinking that you may have encountered the 15 minute edit rule, but then realized you could not have posted the above note had that been the case. I've never heard of the need for moderator approval. Try contacting the moderators here ... Empty Closets Help and Feedback - Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out or http://emptyclosets.com/forum/ask-staff/ to ask them why.

13. driedroses

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would bet there actually are men in your situation near you, if you live in a reasonably populated area. I found men who had been in your shoes at PFLAG, and if you have any open and affirming church communities (like Metropolitan Church), the likelihood is you will find men who have been there as well. They may not be going through it now, but some insight from the other side might be helpful and encouraging.

I understand the issues with codependence and building your life around children. It has taken me quite some time to realize I needed a life of my own, outside of my spouse, kids, and job. I actually joined a separation/divorce support group six months after he came out, which is a phenomenal way to get stuff off my chest - and to see that my situation is not nearly as bad as it could be! I've made friends through that group, spread my wings, tried online dating, and met someone myself!

This does take time. Her healing is on her, and if she's afraid to heal or she simply wants to wallow, there is really nothing you can do about that. There are times I wish we could mold people to be who we want them to be, but then we'd be fighting against their molding of us as well. Anyway, I can offer (*hug*). I really believe we're all better when we're honest with ourselves, because then we can be honest with those around us and pursue a genuine life.

#13 driedroses, Nov 24, 2015
  14. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your wife is grieving the loss of her marriage, so her reaction of sad, angry, then OK is quite expected. Many of us on EC have experienced this reaction from our spouses. While your concern for her is noble, you need to let her own her emotions.

How would you feel if I suggested that you stop worrying about her and be more selfish and worry about yourself more? Being more selfish (in a good way) helped me get through the process. You are in a new phase of your life where you are separated and need to take care of yourself. Have you discussed the idea of being more selfish with your therapist?

There was a time after coming out given the constant fighting with my wife where I was exhausted. Eventually I gained my strength back through baby steps and being more focused on myself. Since each of us is different, I'm not sure I can give you a recipe to follow. Here are some thoughts to keep in mind.
    • You may want to remind yourself that are going through this pain so that you can live authentically. You've come so far, so you are so close to the goal line.
    • Why do you need her permission to go on a trip for yourself? Why do you let yourself be constrained by her suggestion that you are selfish? You are separated and you get to decide if you need a trip. Caveat: Check with your lawyer as to what is reasonable. The trip cannot be excessive since you are divorcing.
    • As you begin co-parenting with your STBX, there will be times when you won't be around during an emergency and that's OK.
    • It's OK to be selfish and worry about your needs and wants. You can now get what you want from your life without her approval.
    • Are there any LGBT meetups or support groups for gay dads in your area? Having a support network of LGBT resources is very helpful.
    • Are you out to your straight friends? Coming out to my straight friends was so empowering. Don't underestimate the power of having no more secrets.
    • You don't have to fight with your wife. You can go to your separate house and chill.

HTH

#14 SiennaFire, Nov 24, 2015
  15. middleGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My kids are much younger, which is good in a way. I think I am just starting to let go and look after myself more. I am also realizing and finally accepting that I need to distance myself more which will be hard on her initially but will help her heal. She has all but said as much to me.

---------- Post added 24th Nov 2015 at 08:18 PM ----------

I've looked for a married/divorced gay group in my area but no luck, but perhaps I should just search for a divorced separated group. It's so helpful to have people to talk to, like on this forum. :slight_smile:

I need to wrap my head around the fact that I can't help her, it's up to her. I need to look after myself, simplify my life and find some happiness. She'll either figure it out or she won't.

---------- Post added 24th Nov 2015 at 08:28 PM ----------

I honestly have felt guilty about being more selfish, but I think I am wrapping my head around the truth of that statement. That being more selfish (in a good way) as you say will actually help me and also her. She is practically begging for me to leave her alone and let her heal, but at the same time she always tries to drag me back in. I need to be more rigid with the boundaries, give her more space, tell her no more often and let her find time to heal. It will be harder in a way, but also easier. I think it's the way forward.

I love your list, I have realized recently that I am being dragged too much into her head games. She can deal with emergencies on her own, the same way I will and have when I have the kids on my own. Sure, if we are both needed we can both be there, but most of the time it's okay for her to deal with it if it's on her watch.

I can take a trip myself, I only need to make sure the kids are taken care of, beyond that I can go away guilt free. She can do the same, if she choses not to, that is her choice.

I will look for a gay dad support group, hadn't thought of that angle!

I am out to some of my friends, not all of them. I think I will create a facebook account and start to come out there to my friends who are all over the globe.

I can indeed go to my place, I need to set boundaries more and stick to them. This will help the both of us.

16. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are further along than you give yourself credit for. By reminding you of True North, you quickly fill in the details. You have the strength within you to do what is necessary to find true happiness as long as you focus on the big picture.

I'm so happy and content that I've come out to live authentically as a gay man after decades of denial and shame. I hope this statement resonates with you. Be strong, be proud :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

#16 SiennaFire, Nov 24, 2015
  17. middleGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, I suppose I am. I need to find time to wrap up the divorce.

I can't wait until I can feel that way...

She's texting me at the moment telling me I am a horrible person... we were suppose to attend the same Thanksgiving dinner for the sake of the kids but she is so toxic right now I am thinking I would rather not...

18. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My take is that she is providing you with an opportunity to become a stronger person. It's unlikely she would go toxic in front of the kids/guests, but you need to do what you feel comfortable with. I could make the case either way, though I would be inclined to draw the line and establish boundaries.

19. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My ex told me earlier we should have Thanksgiving together for the kids, but I just have no desire to do that. The holidays can be stressful enough as is.

20. middleGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    yeah, I will likely do it my kids will miss me otherwise. We were going to do more, but I think I'll draw the line at just the Thanksgiving celebration.