1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

talking to parents

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by LBSmitty, Nov 25, 2015.

1. LBSmitty

Out Status:
    A few people
    I am thinking of talking with my parents about my being gay tonight. I am not sure. I haven't told my husband yet so I don't know if telling my parents first is an okay thing to do? I really want their support and I am so close to both of them. I am not sure how they will take the news, but I hope they will stand by me. I also want to do it in person and they are here for Thanksgiving.

SO....should I wait on telling my parents or have the big talk with my husband first? I really feel like my parents might be able to help give me the courage to talk to my husband. I also don't even know if me telling my husband I am gay is going to even amount to anything. I don't know at this point if we will divorce, live together but be separated, continue on knowing I am a lesbian but changing nothing else about my life..... etc.

Help!

2. The Apostate

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi!

I'd think telling your parents first would be the right approach. These things can go pear-shaped pretty quickly and having allies is important.

Hope it goes well for you.

D.

3. Athena33

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think I would tell people in my life who would be the most supportive first, so maybe your parents? I also have to tell my husband, but I wish I had someone else I can tell first, just because it might go sideways. But, I really only have my husband.

4. SonicBoom

Hi LBSmitty.

Personally, I think that you should wait to tell your parents and husband until AFTER THANKSGIVING.

Coming out will be a stressful thing for you and them. Don't worry about it now.

If you are truly ready to come out, there will be PLENTY of other opportunities to do so.

Just worry about enjoying Thanks Giving.(*hug*)

#4 SonicBoom, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  5. CapColors

I feel like parents blab, tbh. Mine would. So I'd tell my husband first. (I did.)

6. LBSmitty

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks everyone. I think I may tell them...but I may chicken out. My daughter will go to bed in about an hour and then we will be alone. We will see what comes or doesn't come of this!