1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thanksgiving wrapping up... Wife going downhill

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by middleGay, Nov 26, 2015.

1. middleGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My soon to be ex-wife has been good all day. Friendly, caring etc. however, i can tell she is decending into I-am-about-to-unload-on-you territory. My anxiety is going up, acid reflux kicks in, I start to sweat and also feel cold... I find myself hating holidays... I know she is going to tell me how I am a horrible, selfish person, a bad father and an asshole. I tell myself those things aren't true, but it's brutal to me and no matter how hard I try I never have sufficient armor to withstand her assaults...

I don't know why I am posting... I guess I just want to talk to some sane people... Who understand...

2. vamonos

Move out.

3. middleGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have been moved out for a long time. That doesn't magically solve all the problems when there are kids, family, friends etc. plus text messaging, emails, phone calls, skype, yadda.

#3 middleGay, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  4. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you want armor, start writing down everything she says and come up with responses. For example:

She says: You are a horrible, selfish person

You can respond:
    • I'm sorry you feel that way.
    • If we don't have anything constructive to say to each other, let's not speak to each other.
    • You're right - I am a horrible, selfish person.
    • Yes, I'm taking better care of myself.
    • etc.
    It becomes fun after a while.

#4 SiennaFire, Nov 26, 2015
  5. Shadowsylke

So sorry to hear that. I know how it is. I know that "impending explosion" feeling all too well. My husband used to do the same kind of stuff to me. He excelled at making me feel useless and powerless. And when he got angry and went off on me, it was scary.

Emotional scars are worse than physical ones. Words have a lot of power. Just know that the things she tells you are not true. Don't give her the power...take it back. It's easier said than done, I know.

If you can remove yourself from the situation, try to do so...give her time to calm down and give yourself a break from the stress. Try to take care of yourself, and know that there are many people here who understand! (*hug*)

6. middleGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good point @SiennaFire... I should start doing that.

7. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Refuse to engage. Don't even let her get started. Hang up or walk away. But let her know what's happening: "When you are like this, I will not listen to you. I demand respect for who I am as a person. I will not let you treat me like this." If you follow through often enough (and it really shouldn't take long), she will get the picture and will hopefully desist. Maybe then the two of you can have an adult conversation about whatever it is that's bothering her.

#7 Weston, Nov 26, 2015
  8. middleGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So true.. Argh... It's frustrating... When i back off and separate myself more she tells me I am a bad father. I need the custody agreement in place that's critical now. But yes, I am going to step away as soon as i can once the party is over.

Thanks Shadow!

9. mellie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    (*hug*)

#9 mellie, Nov 26, 2015
  10. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No. Hell no. The only reason you feel this way is because you're the one who is gay, not her. But it's not something you can control is it? No. You have done nothing wrong. And I'm not just saying this because I'm gay and I'm a part of some "Gay Brigade". I mean it. Your wife is becoming very manipulative and hateful. If I were you, I'd hit my limit and get in her face and tell her what's up.

11. CameOutSwinging

This is such great advice!

12. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's very hard to let someone sound off and vent like that, but one of the most disarming responses I've learned is to say: "Is there anything else you would like to say?". Fighting fire with fire is never the answer in these situations. Being reasonable (perhaps, overly so) is often the best way to go.

13. Viator

I am so here with you on this. PatrickUK has given sound advice about keeping your side of the discourse as reasonable as possible. My STBX is very fond of saying "We said we would keep this civil!" which means I agree with her that I am the reason our marriage fell apart, that all her decisions are to be heard and complied with without question, and if they don't work out, that's fine, because it's my fault anyway.

Keep fighting the good fight!

14. yeehaw

Ugh. I'm so sorry to hear this. Big hugs to you if you want them. My ex has a long and rich history of saying lots of awful things to me. He still does sometimes (and we are very much divorced--but still raising children together). I totally get that feeling of holding tightly to your own reality and also feeling like you just never have enough armor. With time and work I have found myself in a place where I really don't believe the things he says about me. And I can fairly quickly see why he was saying the things he was saying--usually either to punish me or to try and control/manipulate me, and sometimes both at the same time. I usually can't see all of that clearly in the moment, when I know it's coming or when it's happening, but it now doesn't take me very long afterward to get to a reasonably objective place about it. And all of those things help, quite a lot actually. But I will also say that it STILL FEELS REALLY REALLY TERRIBLE. I think it always will, because I'm human and have normal feelings like a normal person. So much of what you say about your relationship with your soon-to-be-ex sounds so familiar to me--unfortunately its really painful familiar stuff--when I read posts like these from you I find my heart stretching itself toward you full of empathy. I'm sorry it's so hard!

(And it sounds like you are being smart about staying in contact with your kids, and I"m guessing you understand that how things are playing out now, in terms of how much you see your kids could have a very big impact on how much time is alloted to you in the final judgment. If advice from an attorney on parenting time and custody issues is an option for you it might be a *really* smart thing to do. Though I'd be careful about your wife knowing you are talking to an attorney if you do go that route.)

15. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You may be familiar with Viktor E. Frankl's famous quote

The armor is disassociating yourself from your STBX's comments. She's clearly trying to manipulate you and make you feel bad by saying these hurtful and untrue things about you. As long as you feel there's a modicum of truth in them, she will use them against you successfully. This will require you to do something I'm guessing makes you feel uncomfortable, namely, stand up and believe in yourself (that is, be selfish in a good way).

At some level you need to reframe what she says in a more positive way. If she calls you a horrible, selfish person, you need to challenge and reframe that with a positive spin in your own mind: "She's calling me selfish because she is angry. I am doing what is necessary so that I can live an authentic life as a gay man." Whether you choose to confront or deflect her IRL really depends on the situation, so it's good to have responses for both paths.

Unfortunately this aspect of the divorce process is not fun.

16. middleGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Guys, thank you for some much wonderful advice. I feel truly supported, you are all awesome. I can definitely take all the hugs you are all sending me. I feel like I need to find another guy or girl would work too who has been through this or going through. So far I haven't had much luck finding a group, but just one other person would be great to meet up with every week for a chat. Sort of start our own support group. Maybe I should create a website? I tried posting an ad on craigslist for something like that but didn't have much luck.

Anyway, guys, I want to post about more stuff that happened, things took a turn for the worse... it was absolutely horrible... but I'm scared to post the details in case she happens to find this posting and then figures out it's me. In many ways I figure if this ends any civility between us that I'll survive, it just goes to the attorneys and they settle everything.

Also, just to clarify, attorneys are already involved and I am happy with what they have told me about where things will end up regardless of any nutty stuff on her part.

I am trying to just distance myself for the moment and chill, heal and recover. I worry though because sometimes it's worth being proactive with her... but then I think why am I worrying about that... it's her responsibility to recovered from this... wow I am crazy...

---------- Post added 27th Nov 2015 at 10:58 PM ----------

Thanks Anthemic. I actually was very assertive with her during a long chat we had, pretty much told her she has to respect boundaries. We ended up both crying and hugging, but the progress was honestly only minor. If you guys knew the things she said during that discussion you would be horrified... regardless, things were better after the chat, but then she went really off the deep end... again don't want to give specifics but I am pretty heartsick right now... worried about my kids, but trying hard to just relax and look on the bright side.

17. middleGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks Patrick. I do keep it reasonable always, I can think of only one time where I have lost it when she really pushed my buttons. Other than that I always treat her with respect and dignity. It's not my style to scream and yell, I prefer rational, calm discourse. But she hurts me so badly...

18. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am so sorry. I wish I could meet you in person and just hug you and get you away from that shit. Maybe go for coffee and just have a long chat. It's my passion to make people feel good about themselves when they truly deserve it, and you do. I know my advice is a bit aggressive, but it sickens me to see a great guy being treated so badly. I hope, eventually, she will see she's the one who is wrong.

Also, I know you're a grown man, but please be careful on Craigslist. At least equip yourself with pepper spray or a pocket knife if you meet up with someone.

You know you can tell us the details. If she finds out, oh well. She's a jerk and you need someone to talk to. I doubt she will find out. I've been on this site for years an no one has found out. She's literally making you a prisoner in your own mind with her hateful ways.

19. middleGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks Anthemic, I think you're awesome! Would love to go for that coffee! I'll think about posting the details... it's messed up, seriously...

Thank you again for posting, your words and everyone's posts really help validate the path I am on and help remind me I am valid and authentic and worthy of being happy.

20. yeehaw

Hey there, one other thing to consider--and actually maybe you are already doing this-- but if you arent already, it might be helpful to tell your attorney about the more difficult and troubling behaviors from your wife as soon as they happen. When attorneys were involved in my divorce and my ex got too out of hand I would tell my attorney the details, and she would have a chat with his attorney and his attorney would talk to him and generally his behavior would improve dramatically for a while. It improved conditions for the kids and for me on more than one occasion during the divorce process.