1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laughing

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Dec 1, 2015.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi friends :slight_smile:

How is everyone?

I am in an upswing in ...well everything :slight_smile:. I've been wanting to make a proper update post, and I will soon. But I just wanted to post a lighter one first.

One of the things that has served as a tool for me lately for maintaining positivity is laughter. I'm sure I'm not the first person to figure this out, but laughter helps to release a lot of emotion in much the same way that crying does. Don't get me wrong, I've been having some good cries too. But I have been queuing up all my old Flight of the Conchords music and Funny or Die skits to have on hand to keep my laughter fuel ready for me. It's been helping me so much.

What are some of your positive strategies for releasing emotion and lifting your spirits?

PS love you guys, you've gotten me through a lot.

2. Distant Echo

Glee! Been binge watching it lol.

3. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah I never watched :slight_smile:! Is it good? I've got a bunch of binge-worthy shows on a list that I've not yet gotten to.

As many times as I've watched it (million?) I still find Gilmore Girls to be my comfort, warm blanket type of show. And Buffy. I especially like watching the Tara/Willow seasons for some warm homo-positive vicarious same sex relationship comfort.

4. SnowshoeGeek

I have many standby movies for feel-goods - Little Miss Sunshine, Fried Green Tomatoes, The Opposite of Sex, Strictly Ballroom. But for sheer laughs, honestly the best one for me is to watch all 8 seasons of Desperate Housewives. It's dramatic, to be sure, and oh-so-heteronormative (except for the gay male couple and the scenes with Julie Benz as a lesbian stripper - yeow!!) but it gets me laughing out loud so often, even when I'm watching it alone.

While my mom visits for two months, we often go through the whole thing... I think it's time to start. :slight_smile:

Thank you for the reminder! :thumbsup:

5. CapColors

Humor is my favorite medicine. My friends and I are always laughing at stuff, and my husband and I laugh at our bizarre children all the time.

I'll know it's right to tell my friends about my gay side as soon as I can convincingly joke about it with them.

MEANWHILE the weird secret weapon I have is...my new gym!

It's a splurge and it makes me feel like I have something just for me when I go there. Plus there are so many hot ladies to look at that it's basically gay heaven for me.

6. Distant Echo

Glee is just so feel good. Guaranteed to get you out of the darkest mood :wink:

7. IrishJ

Sitting at home this morning realizing a little comedy was just the thing I needed to start the day, plus a cup of strong coffee - settled for a little Cheech and Chong, no weed, just coffee.

8. gaydad917

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rocky Horror Picture Show!!!

9. CameOutSwinging

I like to laugh, a lot. Sometimes I still think about trying my hand at stand up comedy...hmmm, one day, haha.

Anyway, my go to "I need a laugh" movie is definitely Clueless! I never get tired of it! I may be one of the biggest cinematic snobs out there, but by gawd I'll tell you, Clueless is a damn near perfect Hollywood film!

10. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You guys are naming so many of my favourites. Rocky Horror Picture Show!! Love, love it!!!

#10 baristajedi, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  11. zgirl81

I've discovered (since starting a job at a hardware store) that when I need a lift I should spend some time with dogs. :slight_smile: It seems like each time that I'm feeling down while working I find a wet nose in my hand asking for a petting. I now carry treats in my pockets for the regulars on my evening shifts. There's even one pit-bull puppy that will see me, wag, and sit to wait for her treat without a command anymore!

So when I'm having a really bad streak I find a way to be around animals, dogs in particular. Dog parks, volunteering at a shelter, house sitting, etc.

12. Magenta Mucus

I don't like my all-out laughing fits but everybody around me says it's cool to have somebody who cannot control their laughter. Also I have a short fuse for dry jokes.

13. AnotherStranger

When I feel down I like to put a lot of dark make up and go for a walk listening to some good music. I dont know why but i feel better looking like a character from an emo videoclip lol

My dog used to make me sooo happy too, sadly he's not with me anymore.

And of course having a laugh with friends you can be open with and who understand your struggles, it's the best feeling ever.

#13 AnotherStranger, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015