1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

55, married for 25 years. Hubby died and...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by RescueMomSteph, Dec 2, 2015.

1. RescueMomSteph

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hubby died 6 years ago but we both knew I preferred women to men. He didn't hate me but we stayed together. He was my very best friend. But here I am at 55 and I'm attracted women and not men and I just don't know where to start!! Help?

Steph

2. middleGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's a beautiful story, sounds like he might have been a great guy.

There are others more qualified to answer but I wanted to welcome you and suggest where to start is the beginning. Back to basic perhaps? Look for some Lesbian groups that do social outings, maybe contact the organizer, have a chat and see if it seems right for you. Turn up to some general events, no pressure just absorb it all perhaps?

Anyway, check back here often, read lots of threads and you'll find many others facing similar challenges. :slight_smile:

3. IrishJ

Welcome Steph,

I think you will find this a wonderful place to answer many of your questions. There are all sorts of folks here with loads of varied life experience. Meetup seems to keep coming up when I see others looking for LGBT community gatherings. - J

4. CapColors

Welcome! Others posting recently have found success in meeting people through dating apps even as friends. Take a look through the recent threads; you'll see lots on the topic of meeting friends and lovers.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Rescuemomsteph, welcome to EC!

And welcome to the first day of the rest of your new life! I am the same age as you, and only came out to myself almost three years ago. To say that I have had some of the most exciting times of my life would be an understatement.

Begin at the beginning, find out what your local LGBT community may need, then volunteer, get involved, if you sing join a LGBT choir, if there are sports groups, join them, if there are Meetups (Meetup.com) in your area, seek them out, if not, create a Meetup group!

Make yourself known, be out and be proud, this is the only way people will be able and willing to approach you!

And lean on us here for support, that's what EC is all about! So get on with living your life as you are, life is way too short to hesitate!

6. headsup1958

I Steph. I can relate. I'm a 57 year old and lost my wife last fall. My wife (of 20 years) and I had a great marriage and she was aware of my gay/bi predilections. I, myself, just came out as gay in April. And while I'm suffering this time of year with grief, I am struggling with reinventing myself. It will happen for me, I'm sure....but it sucks to be so lonely and needy this time of year.

Good luck to you! ...Bill