1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm going to leave this ridiculous rant right . . . here.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by mellie, Dec 2, 2015.

1. mellie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am having another downer-day. I am just so angry today. So irrationally, undeniably angry--if I didn't have children to care for, I would spend the entire day in bed, punching pillows and sobbing. I just feel so flipping trapped in my own life.

I am angry at myself. How, oh how, did I let it go this far? How did I end up 30, with two kids, financially dependent on a man (I said I'd never do that!), just coming out as a lesbian? What have I done? The signs were all there, y'all. I didn't just wake up gay. I just ignored, ignored, ignored. I just took the easy route my entire life. I just did what was most comfortable. I feel like a coward. Sometimes I don't even take myself seriously.

The Trigger Crush. A few weeks ago, I stupidly reached out to her to apologize for how I've behaved, from kissing her all the way to cutting her out of my life. We had a good conversation, but she basically said, while she understands, her marriage was going great now that I was out of her life, and she's not going to make an attempt to be my friend again. Fine. She didn't offer me any apology for the way SHE acted. Fine. But then she calls me back two days later, we talk for two hours like nothing's ever changed, and then she's gone again.

Let's get back to the anger I have towards myself. I should not have called her! I was doing fine. I was over it. In a moment of weakness, I reach out, and now I feel like I've taken five steps back.

I'm angry at my friends. I am not even really sure why I am angry at my friends. I just am. I've closed myself off. I feel like they should care more that I'm gay. How stupid is that? Isn't it good that they don't really care, at all? I skipped out on my friend's wedding. How shitty is that? I knew I wasn't going to know anyone there, and I just couldn't do it. At first I lied and told her I had to work that day. The next day, after feeling bad about lying to her (yeah, I can't tell a lie at all, it's kind of been a problem), I basically told her, "I lied to you and I feel bad. I just don't want to go. I am in a dark place. I'm sorry, I just can't go to your wedding."

And do you know how she responded? With love and understanding. She told me she'd be there for me when I was ready. I am such a shitty friend. And I am envious of her happiness. She was in a bad marriage a few years back. I stood by her as she left her husband. I stood by her as she struggled to make ends meet for herself and her son. And now I can't stand by her in her happiness. That's super shitty.

I'm mad at my husband. Again, totally stupid. He's been so accepting and supportive. But he asked me if I'd be his "friend with benefits" the other night and it just set me off. Why in the world would I want that? Why does he keep putting me in situations where I'll have to turn him down over, and over, and over again? When I get upset, he tells me he was joking. No, dude, you weren't joking.

I'm mad at him for being the breadwinner. I'm mad at the entire money situation. I'm mad at myself for putting myself in this financial bind that I never wanted to be in.

I can't focus on anything lately. I'm mad at my being gay. Because I'm making it this huge deal, and it's not. I'm gay. So what? Why is it the only thing I can focus on? I feel terrible--I'm not present. Not with my kids. Not with my friends. I'm in my own little selfish, rainbow world over here.

Basically, you guys are the only people I'm not mad at. So thank you for that :wink: :grin: And thanks for listening to my ridiculous rant. I already feel better! Oh my God, am I bipolar?

2. middleGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Phew! I understand your anger completely!

I know what you mean about putting you in the position where you had to reject him... My significant other did the same thing making me repeat and rehash things over and over... It was like she was torturing me by making me torture her. Made me so angry.

It can and will change and when we are through the long dark tunnel we'll burst out into glorious daylight and feel freedom.

3. Shadowsylke

Okay.

First of all, you are NOT a coward. That is like the LAST thing you are. You are owning who you are, and you are leaving a marriage, with all the uncertainty that entails. Those are not the acts of a cowardly person. That's brave. Do you know how many women stay in lackluster, unsuitable, or even abusive marriages forever, just because it's easier? A lot. You are not doing that. Give yourself some credit, girl.

Secondly, the trigger crush. She was never a real option for you...if she was, maybe things would be different, but she wasn't brave enough to pursue something with you, and she has her own issues...don't make them yours. And don't feel bad for reaching out...she was your friend; of course you'd want to reach out to her. She just doesn't sound like she's in a particularly healthy place at the moment. And I wouldn't be surprised if she found herself in a similar situation to you at some point down the road. Except by then, she'll just be starting on her journey, and you will have already conquered yours.

The other friend: you were there for her when she was leaving a marriage and needing you. That is what a GOOD friend does. So what if you can't be there for her now? It's her turn. She can be there for you now. That's how it works. Nothing wrong there.

And lastly, the gay thing. Yes, you "should" have known, blah, blah. Believe me, all of us coming out later in life have had that thought! Whatever. You know now. You are doing what you need to do now; that's all that matters. That's all you can do.

You are an inspiration to so many here. You have nothing to feel bad about! You are doing fine. The road you are traveling just has some sucky parts, is all. Feel the anger, just don't get consumed by it, and try not to turn it on yourself so much. You're a good egg. Trust me. (*hug*)

4. Distant Echo

(&&&)(&&&)

Yeah. Fwb. I'm stuck in that right now and sick of the fights and the sulking and the guilt tripping and

Why can't they accept us for who we are?

Because there is that thing in their heads that says lesbian isn't permanent. That we can change our minds and they will be the one to change it. That being a lesbian doesn't really count because we must want penis. It's all about their needs and what we want doesn't really matter. It's all in our heads and they'll sort us out.

I keep on saying its the last time, and I get guilt tripped into one more time, then I hate myself again.

I'm just trying to get through to Xmas. That's all. I'm not sure I can.

5. Nancy1

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can relate, I may a similar rant here soon, but please do not be so hard on yourself. I have also fallen into a financially dependent position and that is a part of my problem, it happens to so many of us....and although it is a tough hole to crawl out of, you are going to do it, and all this will be behind you.

I feel like whatever I say is going to sound trite and cliche, so I'll stop soon

You should know that reading your posts, your responses to others posts including mine has been really helpful to me. You are further along that I am!! We will get there!!
    ...and i'm turning 47 in about a frickin week!!

#5 Nancy1, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  6. idsm

Totally agree with the whole post.

Hey Mellie, take it easy! One step at a time. You really are doing great and have gone quite far in very little time. You have realized that you are in a condition that you don´t like and you are already taking measures to change that. If I am not mistaken, you already have a job and plan on going back to an education program. You are out (that´s huge) and you have started expanding your circle and exploring a little bit your dating pool. (yes, all the lesbians you met are couples, but chances are they know other women who are single too, right?) You are already half way, really.

At 30 you are not old. NOT AT ALL!!! (What is it with Americans trying to live their whole lives so fast?). Heck, I´m 26 and I still feel almost like a teenager (living with parents and all; it´s very common here). And it´s not like you´ve spent your years doing nothing. Bringing up 2 children (and almost alone, if I get it right) is a huge deal. You may not be able to see it but it is.

Just focus on yourself for now. Work hard to get where you want to be (dont forget to have some fun, too). But notice that it will take some time. Set goals. New year is approaching; perfect time for setting goals. By the end of 2016 you will be better.

---------- Post added 3rd Dec 2015 at 02:09 AM ----------

Aww..(*hug*) (&&&)

:lol: Nope, just overwhelmed!

#6 idsm, Dec 2, 2015
  7. Really

Ok, everyone. Get your coats. We're taking mellie out. And anyone else who needs a break. My treat. Please remember to use the secret handshake and leave your phones on silent.

8. middleGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, I know I have different bits in some places but can I come too? :slight_smile:

9. gaydad917

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely understand this. After I came out to my aunt on Monday, it instantly became real. Now I am going through the same type of feelings as you. How can I completely break apart my family and basically restart my life? Because after 33 years, I have to be true to myself for the first time. Things will get better in time!

10. CapColors

My darling you are not a coward and you aren't crazy. You are going through a HUGE change and it's FUCKING HARD. But you are going to MAKE IT. I know you are.

I send you all my love.

11. Really

Sure! But no pouting if you don't like the entertainment when it starts.

12. middleGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No problems, bound to be a few hot guys around. :slight_smile:

13. YeahpIdk

It's okay to be angry. I want to second everything Shadowsylke said, because it's all true!

Let this anger drive you towards the change you want for yourself. Don't just sit and be mad, and constantly think about all of these blocks in your way to what you actually want. Push through them, and get to where you need to be. Like idsm said, you're only 30 - that's still so young! Yes, you have some stuff that other 30 year olds may not have. I'm going to be 27 soon and I'm pretty far off from having kids or even thinking about marriage. I feel way too lost for it all right now, even though so many around me are already getting into those things, so I can't even imagine the stress you have while you're going through this. I had so much stress with it, and nobody to think about but myself and outside opinions. You have A LOT of life ahead of you, and even if you do have these things you see as baggage, like having been married and having had two children, it's what makes you who you are and is part of your story. And be thankful that you've figured out what you want NOW. Some people don't know until they're in their 50s and 60s, and even they somehow make it work, which means you can too.

About the trigger crush. Just laugh it off. Maybe it's my fault because I was talking about my love for mine so much and it stirred your emotions, lol. Cut her off again. I mean, is it worth it anymore? Too much is wrapped up in her for you, and maybe you just need to seal that wound completely.

Is there anyway that you can move back in with your family? I don't know what your living situation looks like, but it's been stressful for the both of you, and maybe there's a way to live apart. I know the kids and financial dependency make it so hard, and maybe you feel guilty about that, but don't. I think you have so much courage. Do you know how many people stay in relationships they're so unhappy with? Or lifestyles that aren't natural or align with their inner wants because they just figure they'll put up with it? People think that's easier, but in the long run, it's not. Leaving your husband when you can't fully love him, though momentarily painful, is actually the NICEST, most CARING thing you can do. Why doesn't he deserve HIS best chance, and for someone to love and appreciate him fully? Splitting up and having to move your children around or frazzle their life a bit, painful yes. But wanna know what's worse? Growing up in a home where their mom isn't happy, and their parents are just coexisting. I don't want to get all sappy **rolls eyes**, but life is about love. Even if that means loving what you do, or loving who you're with. If they're unable to recognize that, they may never fully understand what it is. I don't even know if that's true, so ignore it if it's not. You're so passionate and you're just trying to live a passionate life that is honest to yourself and everyone else. That's COURAGEOUS as FUCK.

14. Julietta

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't beat yourself up Mellie, you're doing amazingly and being so honest is a good thing.

It won't always be like this, this is the worst time, the middle of the process of change.

Sorry i'm too tired to type much but hugs to you, you're brave and courageous xxx

(&&&)

15. YeahpIdk

I feel like the many of us are on the east coast of the map and can make this happen. We could start a gay travel club.

#15 YeahpIdk, Dec 2, 2015
  16. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *grabs coat* I'm with you...and I'll take a share in covering the tab (I mean, unless you just have cash to burn and really *want* to cover the entire tab...I wouldn't want to deny you of one of life's simple pleasures :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

(((((((((( Mellie )))))))))))) Tons going on, it seems. We *all* of us have huge numbers of regrets in our life. I specifically worked for *years* to live my life in such as a way that I could have no regrets...and fucked it up spectacularly...I just don't think it's possible. So sure, learn from the mistakes, and sure, be disappointed by the disappointments (they are after all a part of this life as well, and you only get one shot at this life, so you'd better appreciate the disappointments as well as the joys).

But also recognize that we *all* operate within our own set of limitations. You have yours, and they are part of you. You did what you did, because you weren't capable of doing otherwise. That's nothing to be mad at: it's something to look at and say "wow, what an interesting plot twist was written for me!" and then wonder how it'll turn out.

There are good reasons you couldn't be there for your friend at her wedding...if you could have gone, you *would* have gone, end of story, just like you'd been there for everything else. It may be shitty that your circumstances were such that you couldn't go...but you are not shitty for not going. Cut yourself slack...you are, as you say, in a dark place. You are wrestling with major demons (and those things don't wrestle fair).

On feeling like a coward for doing comfortable things...sheesh, dear, we *all* do comfortable things that are not in our self-interest. We eat foods that'll lead to weight gain or diabetes, we watch a movie instead of exercising, we watch TV instead of reading or learning something new, we get our news through the Daily Show rather than actual news media, we buy things we can't afford, we make long posts on social media instead of doing real work...so, so, so many things humans do that we *knew we shouldn't* or *promised ourselves we wouldn't, or wouldn't any more*. And all we can ever say when we have these things brought to our attention is either (a) yeeeeees, I'm a terrible person; or (b) hey, seemed like a good idea at the time. I advocate (b) as the more realistic. Again, cut yourself slack...you're human.

Oh, and you can only think about being gay, because we can only live without having an important basic need met for so long, before it starts to dominate our thoughts. Try holding your breath for a minute or two, and see how long you can go without thinking about breathing. Or stop eating for a day or two and see how long you can go without thinking about food. [Disclaimer: these are meant to be thought experiments; the author takes no responsibility for loss of consciousness, low blood sugar, or malnutrition due to lack of air or food.] You'll see what I mean. I'm right there with ya...just in reverse, kindasorta.

And finally, your husband is also a limited individual. He is trying hard to understand what the limits are here (because let's face it, as a guy in this society, he isn't used to being handed many limits, so it's strange territory to him, no doubt). Yes, it's glaringly obvious to *you* that you're gay...so duh, no guys, thanks. But that's less obvious to him. He wants to make absolutely sure you're gay...sure you are *absolutely* gay, and not the teeniest bit available for sex. Of any kind. Not even once every two or three weeks. It's his version of denial and bargaining, and it's as natural as it is maddening. It's ok to want to drop-kick him...but if you at all can...stop short of actually drop-kicking him...'cause he can't help it any more than you could help getting into this relationship.

I know this all falls far short of actually being comforting. If you want comfort, then I can at least say that it'll get better. And then better. And finally, better. You'll still have limitations...because you're human (have I mentioned that?). But you'll have moved past this particular set of heartache and difficulty.

Until then...martinis are good...*warm hugs* from friends are good. Smart-arses on the internet are even sometimes good. But mostly, try to relax a bit, and understand that everyone including you is doing their best to deal with a difficult situation. And if their best isn't good enough...it's at least the most you can expect.

*warm hugs*

17. YeahpIdk

Screen Shot 2015-12-02 at 10.43.49 PM.jpg

I saw this come up on my FB the other day, and it was seriously great timing. I love it.
    It's a Humans of New York quote.

#17 YeahpIdk, Dec 2, 2015
  18. YeahpIdk

^^ all. of. this.

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Holy crapola. Where's that praise emoji when you need it?

I wanna print this.

19. mellie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you. All of you. I do feel better after reading all of these posts. I tend to forget how much has actually occurred in just the past few months, because every day seems to drag on. I want something, and I want it NOW. I want to be autonomous. I want to have a fulfilling career. I want to be living apart and divorced. I want to be sharing my life with a woman I love. I forget that wanting and pining for these things does nothing--I need to work for them, and that work takes time. It seems so daunting to me--time. Time's a real bitch. By the TIME I have all these things, by the TIME I am truly ready for a relationship, by the TIME I can stand on my own two feet--how much TIME will have passed?

But, as you all pointed out, I could have stayed in this relationship comfortably (yet desperately unhappy) for another decade or two. I could have put my life on hold for longer for many different reasons: financial, the kids, lack of motivation, fear . . . but I didn't. I'm doing it. My problem is, I still feel like a fraud sometimes. Can I really be a lesbian if I am still living with my husband? Can I really be gay if I can't even pay my own bills? And typing these things makes me realize how silly this sounds. Because the answer is always: YES. Because I am a lesbian. And I am being honest. I am out of the closet. I am not leading anyone on. I can tell my husband that I will NOT sleep with him, because I am gay and sleeping with him makes me terribly depressed and makes me feel like I'm relinquishing control of my body. And I can realize that how he reacts to that is up to him, not up to me.

I've been in this rut for a week or two. And I think it's because I've started thinking too much and stopped doing. There are probably things I could be doing to improve my situation, little things every day that would at least make me feel better. But I haven't been doing them. I've been too busy sulking. So I think I just need to start doing again. But you all have reminded me that it's okay to forgive myself for a couple weeks of sulking.

So tomorrow I try to pick myself up and get the fuck over it. Keep on keepin' on.

(&&&)

---------- Post added 2nd Dec 2015 at 11:20 PM ----------

You're right--I reached out to her because she was my friend. By reaching out to her, I truly was NOT hoping to re-ignite some romance. In fact, dealing with this whole situation for the past year has made me realize that even if she WERE available, she would be a horrible fit for me romantically speaking, and she'd just end up going back to her comfort zone (she even said to me that this was type of person she is). The thing is, my friendships are extremely important to me. I don't have a ton of close friends because I don't let everyone and their mom in. I'm still very close with my high school crew. And there are a handful of people I've met in my adult life that I've really latched onto and that I'm very loyal to and open with. She was one of them. I know we screwed that up, but the reason I am so affected by it is that I can't wrap my head around the fact that this friendship is OVER. I've never connected with someone like that and then had to completely sever ties. It's just hard.

But I did spend my evening cleaning out everything that reminded me of her. She crocheted a scarf for me--that's in the trash now. Clothes that I wore that remind me of her--in a bag to donate tomorrow. Framed picture of us together--ripped up and thrown away. She crocheted a blanket for my daughter with her name on it too, unfortunately my daughter is pretty attached to that thing so I can't get rid of it quite yet. But all of this was quite therapeutic. (!)

Thank you for reminding me that I'm not an awful friend. (*hug*)

---------- Post added 2nd Dec 2015 at 11:29 PM ----------

(*hug*) Just know that I know all about that guilt trip, and I know how tough it is. We are all rooting for you. (&&&)

---------- Post added 2nd Dec 2015 at 11:32 PM ----------

Can I just say how much I love it when people tell me I'm still young? I think I feel old as shit because, at 30, I've been married almost 11 years and I have two kids. I'm exhausted, you guys! :lol:

Thanks for reminding me that I don't have one foot in the grave. :grin:

---------- Post added 2nd Dec 2015 at 11:33 PM ----------

Yes please! Yes, yes, yes! Someone's going to have to show me the secret handshake first. I must have missed that thread.

---------- Post added 2nd Dec 2015 at 11:35 PM ----------

Two of my besties are gay guys. And I have to say, I never have more fun than when I'm with them. So of course you can come!

20. mellie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Totally NOT your fault. I made this bad decision before you started talking about your Trigger! This one's completely on me :wink:

I mean, I probably COULD, but I'm not willing to. My kids are SO CLOSE with their dad. Especially my oldest. He literally paints their nails, brings them each out on daddy / daughter dates, puts them to bed every single night that he's home . . . I mean, he's Super Dad. If I took them out of the state (which I'd have to do to live with family), it would absolutely DESTROY him and it would destroy my 5 year old. I just couldn't do it.

This may or may not have almost maybe possibly brought a tear to my eye. But it was probably just allergies. *Sniffle, sniffle* (*hug*)

---------- Post added 2nd Dec 2015 at 11:45 PM ----------

^^Agreed. biAnnika, wow. Thank you for that. (*hug*) You're yoda-ing better than me. Just when I need it.

---------- Post added 2nd Dec 2015 at 11:49 PM ----------

And as a last note, I'd like to share something with you all. I'm sitting at the table with my kids tonight, and I'm going through all this emotional turmoil, and it's just been a hell of a day, and my 5 year turns to me as she's eating her green beans, and she says:

"Mommy, where do you go when you die?"

*facetable*

NOT TODAY KID, please NOT today! So, I spent my entire evening trying to tackle that beast as best as I could . . . :roflmao: