1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*weeps* I thought it was just me

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by WanderingMind, Dec 3, 2015.

1. WanderingMind

Thank you to so many of you for posting your feelings, thoughts and experiences. I'm pretty much face-first on the floor, tiny mascara puddles surrounding me, with the realization I'm not alone.

This journey.

Lifelong: watched girls, watched women, watched boys, watched men
    ~25 years ago: married a man, and the love of my life
    August: realized I am bi

The ache.

How long does the hurting last? What helps? And, why does this hurt so much????

2. rachael1954

I don't know why it hurts so much!! I'm so sorry you are hurt, but please keep reading and posting here, this community helped me SO MUCH. Did you fall in love with a woman? Did you realize something on your own? We're here if you want to vent.

You're not alone. It sucks realizing things at first, but you're not alone.

#2 rachael1954, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  3. WanderingMind

No. I haven't fallen in love with a specific woman. To be honest, it feels like almost every woman. (Which feels so wrong.)

It's a myriad of little things that have gone from being 'pretty' to being something I crave. (Like... Can I please touch her skin? Wrap my fingers in her hair? What does her lip gloss taste like? Can I please nestle my face into that hollow by her collarbone... would alllll that, and more, be okay?)

It's a ridiculous longing for what I can't have. (I'm in a good marriage. When I finally told him, he didn't freak out and get upset. Mostly, he's worried because he doesn't want me to fall in love with a woman and leave him, but he doesn't love me any less. And, I love him. Monogamy is important to me. Why can't I go back in time and figure this out when I was younger, before he was in my life? So, I'd at least have had a chance to be myself one effing time???)

It's something I can't put back in a box and shove away. (I've tried. Failed.)

4. middleGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh how I know these feeings. It's so frustrating, why did I do this to myself? Why can't I go back in time and give myself the benefit of all that I've learned since? Why can't i just be straight so I don't have to deal with this mess?

There are always options, you always have a choice. Remember that and give yourself time to process it.

And come here often. It's amazing to talk to people in the same boat.

5. rachael1954

It's interesting how we can be in the same situations and still be at very different phases.

I passed through the phase of kicking myself for not knowing when I was younger, though it took quite a while (and some tears). And yet I'm still in the place where I believe I can put it in a box and shove it away.

You have at least realized that much, and that's pretty important.

It's so hard. I don't know what the right thing for you is, but are there any LGBT meetings on meetup.com where you are? For me I found the most comfort connecting with people who are going through my struggles. So I'm on here a lot and at meetups a lot, and I'm fortunate that my hubs accepts it and wants me to go find myself if I want, as long as I stay married to him.

This is not an easy thing you're doing. Many of us stay in the closet forever, or lurk on EC but never post. I think you've come a long way. I can't imagine going through this before the internet.

How long does the hurting last? I heard a quote somewhere, I'll try not to butcher it:

Coming out of the closet is like unfolding a map from your glove compartment as you drive through life. Once you manage to unfold it, you can never manage to fold it back up and cram it back in. It just kind of sits beside you while you drive for the rest of the journey.

What makes it hurt less is coming here (for me). Why does it hurt so much? I believe because suddenly you are in touch with your emotions and feelings and maybe you haven't been, not really, for many many years. Hugs!

6. WanderingMind

Thank you so much. It doesn't feel like there's much of a choice - but there is time, so I'll go with the promise of time making choices more clear. Right now, it just feels like any choice I make is a wrong choice. It's losing, all around. Except, I am feeling okay about the choice to talk about it, finally, with people who're on a similar path. Thank you.

---------- Post added 3rd Dec 2015 at 12:47 PM ----------

Thank you so much. I'm sorry to hear you're still not at a place where you aren't trying to put it away - although it sounds like you're further along on unpacking everything and figuring out how to navigate things.

I'm super thankful for the internet, too. The thought of going to an in-person meeting with a group of strangers terrifies me. I've come out to two people in real life, but I don't feel that coming out any further is the right choice for now. Each tiny step I've taken has helped, though. Not telling anyone caused so much pain, I didn't have the capacity to handle it at all. I felt like coming out to anyone would be pointless because it doesn't change anything I'm struggling with. I'm still stuck with all these feelings and no chance of living them out. But, someone said talking with others might help, so here I am.

Thank you.

7. WanderingMind

I thought I posted a reply, but it went missing. Hopefully I don't post two! What I wanted to say was a heartfelt thank you. It feels better knowing there are people to talk to - although I feel very much like I don't have any choices. I do have time, though... so hopefully the choices start to seem real.

8. Distant Echo

Yeah, you've come to the right place. We're all at various stages of working out how to deal with this.
    The realization that I am lesbian has turned my world upside down.
    Talk, talk, talk some more. Let yourself work through it all. It will be hard, and you may be shocked at where you end up, but it's too late to go back into the box now.
    Congrats at getting this far.
    (&&&)

#8 Distant Echo, Dec 3, 2015
  9. middleGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

There are choices but sometimes it takes some time before they are apparent. It's taken me a while but I have gradually come to the belief that no one is directly responsible for someone else's happiness. We are each responsible for our own. It is not my job to make my wife happy, it is my job to be me the best me possible. That alone should make her happy. That doesn't mean we are self centered or can't make sacrifices but at our core, we must address our own needs first and I have learned the hard way that if we do that then everything else follows. We should live openly and unashamedly as our authentic selves and the people who love us should love us for that authenticity and love our true nature. If they do not, then simply they love us for who they want us to be not for who we are, which isn't love at all.

Now kids conplicate matters, I know I am a father... Yet I would rather my kids grow up with a father who is content, authentic, reaponsible and loving and leads by an example as someone who makes the right choices even if they are hard.

Sadly people are hurting and will hurt because of me but they will be hurt more if I stay. This choice to separate is one of short term pain but long term gain. I also feel that my pain would be greatly amplified if I had stayed in the marriage which would ultimately lead to much worse impact on those arround me.

Your situation may be different but yet you still have to ask, can I live as an authentic person and stay in my relationship. The answer may be yes. :slight_smile: or no.

10. WanderingMind

Thank you. Talking helps. I reeeaaallllyyy wish I could go back in the box, though. This upside down world is way harder than I can deal with right now.

---------- Post added 3rd Dec 2015 at 04:34 PM ----------

11. CapColors

Welcome! I think my posts will especially resonate with you---we had almost the same experience except I fell for a particular woman and then broadened my interest when I realized what that meant. I went through anger, desire, sadness, shame (bc I wanted more than my hubby) and ultimately acceptance.

Bi2me's posts might also be good for you to read.

12. biblondegirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Wanderingmind,

I appreciate your post here, and can completely relate to your story: I always ask myself why I was so scared; why I denied my attractions to women, why I didn't come out (even if just to myself) earlier in my life. I'm 38 now, married 10 years. I only acknowledged I was bi two years ago. I'm also in a (relatively) happy marriage, and my husband reacted in a similar way to how you described yours: He said, 'Well, as long as you don't fall in love with a woman and leave me.' Unlike most men, though, he doesn't lust after the idea of two women together or a threesome.

I fell in love (emotionally, anyway) with my best friend who I 'met' online a few years ago. She noticed it and finally told me she knew, and told me it was ok if I was bi. That's when I realized I had a name for how I felt (I had really only known either gay or straight before). We are still good friends, and have since met in real life. My crush has abated some, but I always think that, if we had met earlier in our lives, and if she was more bi than she is (she's had a crush on one woman in her life, unexpectedly, and it wasn't me)--then I would have been happy with her.

I still love my husband very much, but I recognize that 'ache' you describe. I don't have an answer, really, other than to say maybe the ache is not about a particular woman, but is more about how we spent years denying our true selves. Maybe that is where the regret comes in.

#12 biblondegirl, Dec 3, 2015
  13. WanderingMind

Good to meet you, CapColors. I've been feeling like I'm going through the grief cycle, so your stages of acceptance resonates with me A LOT. I cycle mostly through anger and sadness, with a heaping helping of shame. I'll be sure to read your posts. Thank you for reaching out. I'm glad to hear there's hope of reaching acceptance... this spiral I'm in is such a hopeless place.

---------- Post added 3rd Dec 2015 at 06:40 PM ----------

Hi, Biblondegirl. Thanks for reaching out and for being so vulnerable in sharing your story. Yeah. I think the ache has a lot to do with regret for not having embraced who I am for so long. I'm also really angry and upset with my brain/body for figuring its shit out, because it's not like I'm going to act on it, so I wish that part of me had stayed hidden and dead. It's like I'm erasing myself.

So, thank you for being here to listen, so I can be myself in at least one part of my life where I'm not totally alone.

14. biblondegirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure how to pull out a single quote here, but when you wrote "It's like I'm erasing myself" is exactly how it feels to me, too.

Maybe the ache we feel is that we are in mourning.

15. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Wan,

Welcome to EC!

How long the hurting lasts depends on the cause and nature of the hurt.

You say you are bisexual. So what is the nature of your pain? Is it simply accepting that you have same-sex attraction? Is it that you feel a strong urge to experience sex with another woman? Is it fear about how your husband will react? Or does he know and has reacted badly?

Personally, I've never had pain over the *fact* that I'm bisexual, nor have I cared much what others thought about it (can't help who I'm attracted to, so fuck'em).

For me, it has been a slow growing sensation of *need* to actualize both sides of my sexuality, despite being in a longstanding (29-year) monogamous same-sex relationship.

I've also had issues with discovering that I seem to be polyamorous by nature (i.e., I can love more than one person at a time...in fact, can't stop being in love with multiple people...which is agonizing in the long run when you're in a monogamous relationship). But this I do not consider (necessarily) part of my bisexuality...just one more damned thing to contend with.

So...hey...what're you in for?

16. WanderingMind

Hi BiAnnika, Thanks for the welcome. You ask *good* questions.

Yeah. I'm bi as can be, suuuuuuuper bi, as long as bi is defined by desire and not experience. I know defining myself is precarious, too. However, I'm erased enough in this whole experience. Claiming a label is the one thing productive I have been able to do.

*clings to the label*
    *chugs whiskey*
    *:tears:"*

I'm not upset with the fact of being bi for *me* - but a tiny part of my pain is associated with a very religious upbringing, and the knowledge that coming out would hurt my mom and my sister a lot. I lost my faith a while ago, and that was a journey in itself. It hurt, too. There was grief in no longer believing that prayers were heard, or that I'd get to see my Dad again in heaven. I've NEVER been okay with the church's stance on lgbtqiaa+ issues (at least, the churches I grew up in), and realize there's probably a strong correlation between losing my faith and finally waking up to who I really am.

I care when others have a problem with someone's chosen sexuality - always have. I'm a strong advocate for HUMAN rights - all humans. I've tried to raise my children not to judge, but to admire and respect each person's uniqueness. Regardless, I am TERRIFIED of how they'll feel knowing their Mom is bi. So, at this point, staying closeted is something I can't see changing. And, that hurts.

When you say that a lot of your hurt relates to the "slow growing sensation of *need* to actualize both sides of my sexuality, despite being in a longstanding (29-year) monogamous same-sex relationship" - you are singing my song. Except mine is a 26 year monogamous hetero marriage. He *says* he wouldn't be hurt if I were to, for example, kiss another woman, but *I don't believe him.* I also know that, for me, a kiss will feel empty. A kiss isn't what I want. Give me intimacy and softness, and love. So, yeah. Polyamory seems like a good description of what my slow growing need is, and it's equally a description of the exact thing I'll *never* have because I love my husband and have zero interest in hurting him.

And, I can't meet one need, without denying the other. The ouroborus of my bi-ness.

17. mellie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's definitely not just you. And yes, it hurts tremendously. Feel free to vent it all here. (*hug*)

18. WanderingMind

Hi Mellie, Thank you. Sorry you're stuck in the same shitty heap of hurt. Hugs.

19. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please, call me Annika...I just put the "bi" at the start there to distinguish myself from all the straight and gay Annika's they have around here. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Your sexuality is absolutely determined by your attractions rather than your experience...just like the manymany gay people here who have never had a same-sex experience. You needn't cling to the label. It is yours...nobody here will try to take it from you.

A quick tip on the whisky though: buy the good stuff, and sip it.

I'm sorry about issues caused by upbringing and association with religion. My parents have faith, but taught us that God loves everybody. So when I started thinking my own spiritual thoughts, at least I wasn't hit with a load of hypocrisy...it was less disgust with God and more disgust with religions that pretend to know what God wants...that are miraculously right in line with what the religious people want (they find gay people icky? surprise! so does God!). I always feel terrible for LGBT people who have internalized *any* degree of religious message against being LGBT...'cause it's based on intolerance rather than deity.

I realize you're looking to be out and proud and not to be invisible, etc. But I always wonder about this kind of thing. Do you tell your kids what *guys* you find attractive? Your sexual tastes and all? If not, then I don't see why you'd be telling them that you want to have sex with women. I guess I just don't get the relevance to their lives. I mean, I wouldn't recommend lying to them...buy as my "closet" label suggests, I'm neither a hider nor a screamer. When it becomes relevant (including when someone says something that clearly assumes an incorrect sexuality for me), I address it; otherwise, why should I?

Oh fuck. I was kinda hoping (for your sake) that it was just issues with accepting that you're bi, or something like that. I'm afraid the pain could last for some time. I've posted quite a bit on the topic of polyamory, and about my exact situation...you might glance at some of those, while you're checking into the Cap'n and bi2me's posts.

Best advice I can give here is to keep talking to him. Keep him appraised of where you are. Don't let him forget that this is an unmet need for you...not that you're asking for his blessing in satisfying that need (if you aren't), but that this is painful for you, and that that pain should be acknowledged. Draw him out on his assertions that he wouldn't mind if you kissed a woman...get him to realize (if) he's deluding himself there...and also let him know your thoughts that a kiss is not even close to the extent of what you want.

I know I thought for a long time that my partner would never accept anything other than monogamy. Things have changed somewhat. But it's still a long, long road. The pain has lasted...but I can say that it comes and goes in waves...and that feeling it is far better than not feeling it (and it's healthier to feel it than not to feel it). Isn't that ironic?

My own ouroboros deals with the competing needs for expanded sexuality, but yet with safety and emotional stability. But my partner is (I suspect) quite different from your husband. As you say, can't have one without killing the other.

20. WanderingMind

Thank you, Annika. Sipping slowly. Will try to be more honest with myself, and with my husband. Also, slowly going through posts here - so many things to think about.

*lays my head down on the table and keeps breathing*