1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speed dating

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by MGK, Dec 3, 2015.

1. MGK

MGK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's a speed dating event coming up that I'm really on the fence about attending. On one hand, it might be an interesting experience (they do say try everything at least once), and I might meet some cool people. On the other hand, I have never ever ever done anything like it before, and I think it would absolutely terrify me to just merely walk in the door, let alone talk to a whole line of people for a couple of hours who will probably be under the impression that I'm completely out.

The thing is, I'm still in the beginning stages of coming out and taking things pretty slowly. And quite honestly, I don't really want to attend with the purpose of finding a date. I more so just want to meet some people for friendship, and if that's the case, what's the point of even going to a dating event? Talking to people I'd just say, "oh, I'm just here to make friends, that's it". Some people might think that's really odd; or do some people go to these events with the intent of just making friends? Maybe I should just find a local meetup group instead since speed dating feels like too big of a step for me just yet?

Was curious what people's experiences were at speed dating events?

#1 MGK, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  2. IrishJ

Hadn't considered speed dating.. From my perspective - "what's the worst that could happen?" You spend a few dollars, take up a chunk of time? If it is just too much, you are not captive, right? I don't have any experience to share, but what the hell, I say go for it! - J

3. YeahpIdk

I would say people probably don't go there with the intention of solely making friends, but you shouldn't take it too seriously either! I mean, it's speed dating, how serious can that be? If you're brave enough to attend, it'll probably be a memorable experience either way. I'd say, just go with the intention of meeting new people (that's what everyone's there for, even if their intent is to find 'the one') and potentially finding someone you're a little interested in. If you connect with someone, you could always tell them what's going on outside of the experience and explain that you want to take it slow and meet new people. Hell, you could bring it up while you're on the circuit. Say you're kind of new to this and do they know any community around the area to join, if the timing is right to work it in. Just don't take it as anything to be really conservative about. It's just supposed to be fun. Bring a friend if you can!

4. Really

I'm not there yet but we also have lesbian speed dating here. They post on their site comments/testimonials from people who've gone and many of them refer to making great friends so I'm pretty sure that's a more likely outcome even if you were looking for "the one".

Worse comes to worst, you could say "no" to everyone. You're in control.

If you're up for it, give it a try. And don't forget to report back. :wink: