1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm over my trigger

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Nancy1, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Nancy1

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am.

As I have gotten to know here a little better I realize we are too different. The fact that our differences made a relationship unlikely was causing me pain before, but now that I realize that those differences are not just rejections of who I am, but that I also would not be happy in a relationship with a person exactly like her, it is a relief.

I think the intensity of my feelings was because she represents a basic type of person I want to find, but it was an idealized version of her that I had fallen for.

She is a very attractive kid, but still, compared to me, a kid. I think I could be in a relationship with a sizeable age difference (in either direction) but the maturity level needs to be closer.

Now I feel less crazy, and I can work out a separation from my husband....I want to go to queer events and move about and mingle as a queer person, but I do not need to hook up with someone right away. I need to make more friends in the community, and learn the culture more. I will meet people along the way and eventually one of those women and I will click.

(Another post will be about how I feel terrible about my husband situation and how wishy washy I am being...but this post is about positive change!!)

2. CapColors

Good for you! Dealing with a trigger crush is essential.

Putting my trigger crush into the "best friend" box has helped me immensely. Being aroun her before I did that was just torture.

I finally feel ready to move forward.

#2 CapColors, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  3. YeahpIdk

That's really great that you can see and accept that your trigger crush isn't a completely compatible match. That's logic I wish I had with mine! She was a few years younger, and highly intelligent, but she was still in such a different place. She also had her own issues that made us incompatible, but I didn't want to see and accept it.

Good for you!!

4. rachael1954

Thanks for posting this. A trigger is so charged with emotion and feeling!!!

5. SonicBoom

Can someone please explain to me what a trigger crush is?:icon_redf

6. YeahpIdk

It's the person who made you realize that your sexuality wasn't what you may previously have thought. For example, I thought I was straight until I fell in love with a girl in college I became friendly with. Now I know I'm definitely not straight! She's the one who triggered my questioning and understanding of myself. Been feeling pretty gay ever since. :wink:

#6 YeahpIdk, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  7. SonicBoom

Thanks.:icon_wink

8. Julietta

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hurrah! Au revoir trigggerrrr!

I've got one - she's not my trigger but just a grossly inappropriate crush, really horrible person, I thought I was getting over it but nope still lusting after her. I must be truly insane.