1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Listen to Your Heart, a typical life tale of regret

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Repona, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Repona

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    So I've come to this site because there is no where near the population of openly gay and lesbian people where I live. I feel closed off and isolated now that I know who I am. So here it is. I'm laying everything out that's been bugging me for the last few months and, really, all my life I suppose. I'm an organization nut, so it's all labeled and.. stuff. :/

Growing Up

Here in south Georgia, being gay is essentially a bad thing. At least that's what the general population would have you believe. I grew up in a Christian household and taught that homosexuality was an abomination before God. I'm not getting down on Christians here; they have their beliefs and I respect that. I just know that I can't be a part of a community of those that believe something is wrong with me because I can't help being gay.

So it was years after being married and fathering an awesome one-year-old that I realized I was gay. It just never occurred to me. Being gay was unheard of. It was wrong. There was no way I was gay. But there I was, looking back on so many things I did as a kid and teenager that could have so easily be explained. It took so long to understand and admit it to myself.

My Life Now

My wife and I got a divorce, naturally. We simply agreed that it was best for our family. We still love each other and do everything we can for support and raising our little guy. There are no hard feelings now that we've gotten all our feelings out and have come to terms with my orientation. Not that it wasn't a grueling process. Oh, wow, was it ever the hardest time of my life. I don't believe I went a day without crying for over a month.

I'm living with what I know, now. I'm happy with myself, even though the outlook of my life is rather bleak. I'm a super nerd, in a profession and region of the US that looks down on people like me, and at an age where I really don't see ever finding anyone. I kind of feel like the cards have been played against me at this point. My closest friends and family respect and accept me, which I know is more than most can say. But there's still a horrifying lack of support when it comes to socialization with like-minded individuals.

My Fears

I've always been the sweet, caring type that wears his emotions right on his sleeve. As such, I want nothing more than someone to cuddle up with and to know they love me as much as I adore them. But the facts of the matter are pretty rough. I'm in a pretty meager subset of culture when it comes to meeting people nearby: Gay in south Georgia- obviously few and far between, Nerd- I have a collection of geek related stuff around my house and sleeve tattoos of video game and 80's pop culture references which throws anyone not all about that kind of thing out, Near Middle-Aged- I'm 33. It was hard enough finding someone when I was a teenager and in my early 20's. At this age, I really don't feel like there's much hope. I can't move from this location; I have a large house, a great career in a job I'd like to keep for years to come, and family and friends close.

I'm told by my closest couple of friends and ex-wife that I shouldn't linger on it; that I'll find someone. But those sentiments don't keep me warm when I curl up on the couch and watch Game of Thrones with a shih-tzu. :S

2. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh gosh — middle-aged at 33 — don't make me laugh! You're young and you've got the rest of your life ahead of you. Thankfully, the worst is already past — you've told your wife and family, and they're accepting at least. Time to move on. I'm sure you're not the only gay in south Georgia, much less the only gay nerd. Look around! Be more attentive to those around you. You're a nerd, so use the internet. Also, consider a move — seriously, is Atlanta too far (I'm assuming you want to stay in touch with your ex and kid)?

3. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds like you came here for the same reason that I did. :slight_smile: I may not be from south Georgia, but I do see where you're coming from.

I hope you find at least some of the support you're looking for while you're here.

4. Repona

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Weston, nono! I never meant to imply 33 was middle aged. Just that my circumstances and everything seemed to be working against me. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I know mid-thirties is fairly young, but living where I do and never coming across a homosexual that wasn't some sex offender in those years, it seemed bleak. As far as moving, yes I need to be near my son at the very least. And I'm currently living in the house I grew up in that was built by my grandfather, which is a big thing to give up just to have a chance at finding someone.

Thanks, CD. :3 So far it's been fairly friendly here. I've gotten to get some things off my chest, which have helped a lot.

5. Ryuji35

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Dude, with the profile you've laid out, I WOULD DATE YOU :grin: (I mean it) So don't lose hope, you will meet someone whom you will love and will love you back. :grin: :lol:

6. Repona

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Ahahahahahaa! X3 Thank you, Ryu. That does make me feel better. Honestly, just knowing I have a place I can go and vent my fears and frustrations at, and know that kind people are listening, is a big help. :3

7. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I think your tattoo sleeves sound pretty cool. I have tattoos myself, and at 38, I can definitely appreciate some 80's pop culture.

8. CameOutSwinging

I've had those moments where I feel like at 32 I'm surely too old to ever meet anybody if I were to be single. But then I met a friend who is in his 50s and has been with his partner for 8 years. That means they met while he was in his 40s. And suddenly, it doesn't seem so bleak at all!

You're doing great though, with all of the steps you've already taken to be open about yourself. And yeah, your tattoos sound awesome! Have you read Ready Player One? Great book with tons of video game and 80s pop culture references.

9. Repona

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Thanks, Angel (Angelus?) and COS. I really appreciate your help. :3

They're not.. 'technically' sleeve tattoos yet. I've gotten one about every two weeks for a few months now. Up to 8 so far, but getting there. :grin: The right is video games; Vault Boy, a goomba, Fox Hound patch, and Zelda shield with an NES controller over it. Left is all 80's; BattleCat, Ninja Turtles reference, Ghostbusters, and of course Jem. :3 If I get up the nerve I may post pics here some time.

10. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All of that stuff is such a part of my childhood. I remember having a lot of He-Man figures, I had Jem's boyfriend Rio, Thundercats, sooooooo many action figures.

11. maybgayguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for posting your story. It is great to read about men who have made it through marriage, coming out and divorce. It helps a lot of us.

Sorry that you aren't in a more gay-affirming location with more LGBT folks around. I guess you just have to try to increase your geographic circle and maybe find someone who is a bit farther away. That is not ideal.

A lot of guys will find the tats, video games and geek stuff quite attractive. I don't think you really have much to worry about there.

12. Repona

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Angel, same here, totally. I still have a Castle Greyskull on display. :3 I mean.. it's.. somewhere.. toys.. for kids. *ahem* <_<

Thanks, MayB! I'm more happy that I can be a comfort to others than have others comfort me. :3 And yeah, my ex-wife has said numerous times how much she hates that I came out JUST as I started to lose a lot of weight, bulking up, and getting tattoos. LOL

13. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that comes from finally learning to put ourselves first more often. Since my split with ex, I have been getting in better shape, taking better care of myself, and I have gotten tons of new clothes and shoes. We spend so long pushing back things to be all we can for someone else, and along the way forget that we matter too. It's nice to actually have that feeling, and be getting back parts of yourself.

14. Repona

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Mine generally came from a complete lack of appetite from stress. XD But yeah, I finally swore I just needed to get in shape and be something I've always wanted. And it's going to be nice getting new uniforms because my others are too big. LOL

15. maybgayguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    OMG - I can so relate to this. I still struggle with how high my Kinsey number is and whether I should come out as a basically gay. I do find both men and women attractive.

However, one thing that really has struck me in the past couple of years is how attractive and sexy I feel. It is not just about who I find attractive. When I am with women I don't feel as sexy myself to be honest. However, when I am doing 'gay things' (I don't really have much experience but have visited gay bars and hung out with a few guys), I feel that I am attractive and sexy.

Maybe this is a bit shallow but it has been somewhat of a motivation for me to work out more. When I lost weight and started to see actual muscle, I felt even better. The other day, I noticed another man checking me out at the gym. I am a muscular, athletic and tattoo (and geek) type of guy and so was he. It felt really nice - although I was a bit nervous and nothing happened!

16. Repona

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Yes, totally this!! I always felt so sub-par and horrible about my looks as a straight man. When I finally saw myself as gay, I felt so great about it all. I could look in the mirror and actually smile, even tell myself that I did look good! It was so weird! And that just made me work harder to be fit. Completely agree. :3

17. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I def gotta find where all these muscly, tattooed gay guys converge. Sounds like complete bliss!!

18. maybgayguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am not sure where they converge either. There are men like this at the gym I go to. However, I am never sure if they are gay/bi and assume they are not.

Otherwise - I just look at guys online. Not the same but at least it helped me realize what I found attractive.

Great to connect with other guys that have the same thoughts/feelings!

19. Repona

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I hate the gym. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Just never been into it. I generally work out at home and run laps around the property when I get up. I don't think I ever just looked at guys. With me it was more the sudden realization that I'd been putting myself in the female role in fantasies. Seriously, I should have known all this long before I did. :/

20. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I know what you mean. This is the only interaction I have with anyone really.