1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I did it!

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Athena33, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Athena33

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So I need to tell my husband that I am a lesbian, no one knows this except my therapist. But after reading what others wrote, I learned that I should probably start some where else safe, it might not be a great idea to have my husband be the very first person I come out to. I just called my cousin and I told her! I am full of emotions: relief, sadness, excitement, fear....it makes everything so real. She was completely awesome and supportive..ummm.. she even said she figured I was going to say I was lesbian. What?? I guess I was in complete denial. :eusa_doh:

2. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Congratulations! That was a good idea - coming out to someone you trusted first. I'm happy for you.

3. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done! (!)(!!)

4. LBSmitty

Out Status:
    A few people
    The first time I told someone (one my closest friends), I felt such relief afterwards. you think your head that it will go so horribly and sometimes the person really surprises you. Good first step!

5. yeehaw

This is similar to how I started coming out. I told my therapist, then a very close.friend, and then my husband. (Incidentally, the close friend that i tild has known me since i was 5 and told me she wasnt exacrly surprised to learn i was gay.) I'm so happy that your cousin was supportive. It's great to have someone who is not a spouse (and not your therapist) as a support person before talking to your husband. It's smart to have a support network on place as you figure out what comes next.

6. Sorrel

Great to hear! It's so important to receive support from the first people we tell, I think. When we first come out we are a lot like children, it seems to me, innocent children who are speaking from our hearts and just need to be seen and respected, and we need to hear that it's okay to speak from the heart. Congratulations!

#6 Sorrel, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  7. Patagonia

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The support, understanding and love of your cousin is probably the best holiday gifts one could ever get!

8. Athena33

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you everyone! I appreciate your words of congrats! I could not have started this process without reading all the brave stories here. We gather strength from each other.

9. CapColors

Well done!!!

10. Shadowsylke

That's great, congrats! It's funny how people are often not surprised at all when we come out to them...they're like, yeah...

They know us better than we even do!