1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update on my crazy life!

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by gaydad917, Dec 15, 2015.

1. gaydad917

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone, its been a while since I posted an update. Its been a crazy few weeks. Lets recap.

I live in Ohio, my mom lives in Alabama. We have been pretty close my whole life, so the distance is rough sometimes. Two weeks ago, I received a call that she was going into cardiac arrest, coded 5 times, had to be shocked back to life each time. Very scary stuff, especially since she isnt even 60 yet! So I jumped on the first plane down, I spent 8 days with her in the hospital. She had to get a pacemaker/defibrillator put in before she came home. Major lifestyle change for her. I was able to spend a few days with her outside of the hospital, so that was nice. Ended up staying down there for 12 days.

Silver lining of the trip was seeing my cousin and her wife and being able to come out to them in person! It was great telling someone who knows how it feels and knows how to be an awesome support team! They have a great gay couple that they have been friends with for a super long time and it was nice to chat with them a little as well. I also told my mom in person. She was completely ok with it, just like I knew she would be. She has never liked my wife, so I think deep down she is probably thrilled! Hahaha!

I am one big step closer to finally being free! The wife will know soon and then the next adventure begins!

2. Patagonia

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That is wonderful you had your cousin and his wife to trust in and how your mother reacted as well. It reminds us that the reward is often worth the risk. That's an interesting twist on how the relationship between your mother and wife plays into this. It sounds like you got a tremendous confidence boost. I wish you and your mom all the best! I bet she is very proud of you!

3. Chicagoblue

Way to go gaydad....great son, great cousin. Super.

4. CapColors

Sorry about your mom's troubles, but good job coming out to your cousin.