1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally starting to figure myself out

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by calleigh, Dec 21, 2015.

1. calleigh

This is a post I've been meaning to write for a little while now, but I thought I'd share my story (so far) with you all...

I'm 29, and up until about a year and a half ago, never had any question that I was straight. Then I started playing roller derby. More than half the girls in my team are lesbians, or otherwise non-straight, and just over a year ago I started to question my sexuality. It sounds almost clichéd to say I started playing roller derby and then started wondering if I was gay. The most obvious reason I can think of is that, until that point, I didn't really know any lesbians. It was almost like I knew in theory that lesbians existed, but they seemed a little like mystical creatures that I'd never come across.

Also, growing up, I was such a straight-laced good girl - I loved school, did well at it, did what my parents told me, never had a teenage rebellion phase, didn't drink alcohol until I went to uni - I basically did exactly what was expected of me by my teachers, parents, society etc, and never thought to question anything about my life, or push the boundaries at all.

Last summer, I started slightly fancying one of the girls on my team - it was a fairly short term thing, but it certainly got me thinking. And then I noticed that, actually, I was much more likely to notice a girl at work etc who I thought was hot, than a guy.

Throughout this time, I was in a long term relationship with my boyfriend of the last 5 years, which was the first long term relationship I'd ever had. It was great, we got on really well, have been living together for the last few years. Over the last year or so, I had really started questioning the relationship - whether we wanted the same things out of life etc, and I ended things a few months ago. While the fact that I was pretty sure we wanted different things from life was definitely one of the main factors in my splitting up with him, another contributing factor was that I was starting to feel really claustrophobic, and like I just needed time and space to myself for a while, to figure out who I was and what I wanted out of life. My questioning my sexuality was a part of this, but I don't think I realised how big a part until after we'd split up (when he asked me if this journey of self-discovery was something I had to do alone or whether we could do it together, and I realised that the sexuality questioning was the main reason I needed to do it alone). Over the last year or two of our relationship, I had also really lost interest in sex, and I wonder whether the sexuality thing was also part of that.

So I'm now single (and very happy that ending the relationship was the right decision), and trying to figure myself out.

Looking back, there are certain things that make sense now that I realise I'm probably not as straight as I always thought I was - from about the age of 10, I had a number of (I guess) crushes on women - there were a few teachers, my young leader at guides, an older girl in a school play I was in, a couple of girls that I worked with in various jobs (actually, thinking back now, it seems there were a lot), but they were always older than me, and usually in a position of responsibility, and I think I just assumed that it was an admiration thing, and I just wanted to be like them. But at the same time, I never spoke to anyone about how I felt about these people - like maybe I knew it wasn't quite normal. I cringe now when I think back, because although I never said anything, I'm sure it was pretty obvious in some of my behaviours - some of them I wrote letters to for a good while (I do wonder what my parents thought about that!).

I also hardly ever fancied a guy. There was one guy at school I fancied throughout my time at school. Pretty much every guy I've ever been involved with, I have become interested in them once they started showing me attention - it wasn't like I'd fancied them for ages, but more that they became attractive to me once it was clear they liked me. I was also a bit of a late bloomer when it came to guys - I didn't kiss anyone until I was 18, and didn't have sex for the first time until I was 20. I was the one who was perpetually single at school, while all my friends were coupling up.

Up until recently, there hadn't been a girl who I particularly liked - there were a few people who I thought were quite nice, and wouldn't have said no if they asked me for a drink. My view on my sexuality was that maybe I quite liked girls, and maybe I wasn't as straight as I thought, but I really wasn't sure. But a few weeks ago I went away for the weekend with some friends and met a girl who basically made me go 'Holy shit, she is amazing and I am most definitely not as straight as I thought I was!'. It was a bit of an epiphany. Unfortunately she appears to be straight, and so I don't think I'm in with a chance there (although part of me reminds me that I'd have said the same about myself not all that long ago, so who knows!). She also probably thinks I'm straight - some of the friends who we were with were a great support during my break up, and so it came up in conversation a few times. But I also felt that my attraction to her was so blatant that weekend that I kept expecting one of my friends (who are gay) to pull me up on it and say 'hey, what's going on here?'. But maybe the fact that they seemingly all think I am totally straight (that's another issue to be dealt with!) means they didn't pick up on it like that,

So now I'm in a situation of being massively smitten by a girl who I'm pretty sure I have no chance with (and oh my word, I'd forgotten that it was possible to like someone that much! It nice to remember it's possible!), being almost certain that I'm not as straight as I spent the first 28 years of my life assuming I was, but not sure exactly how 'not straight' that is, and at times a bit emotionally overwhelmed by it all.

Some days I'm fine, and can't remember why any of it is even an issue, and other days, I go round like I'm in my own little bubble, disconnected entirely from the world and just feeling hopelessly low.

On the whole, I'm happy that I am seemingly finally starting to figure myself out. I know it's going to be a long journey. I thought I'd share my story, as I know that this is a place I'll be able to find the support I sometimes need. At times, I feel like my head is going to explode, and I just need to talk to someone about it all!

2. CapColors

Good job! It sounds like you're in a great place to explore. Knowing a bunch of queer people you might be able to be friends with and date is miles ahead of lots of people on this site. Add to that you are so young still with no attachments...go get 'em tiger.

3. CameOutSwinging

One thing I can definitely relate to is that feeling of being interested in somebody when they start paying so much attention to you/liking you. It's hard not to give in to such things, and I know it has a lot to do with how I ended up in the two relationships that I've been in with women.

You do really sound like you're in a good place to figure things out though. Keep it up and thank you for sharing!

4. bi2me

Sounds like you are in a great place to figure everything out! I hope you are able to have fun exploring what you want in a partner. Keep us posted (some of us are living vicariously)! :slight_smile:

5. calleigh

Yes, I really do appreciate that I am in a very fortunate position, being surrounded by queer people. To be honest, if I wasn't, I don't think I'd have come to this realisation, I'd probably have just carried on, assuming I was straight, and wondering what it was that seemed to be missing.

Weirdly though, I'm actually finding it very difficult to bring this up and discuss it with some of my (wonderful and have looked after me so much over the last few months) lesbian friends - part of me feels like I won't be taken seriously, which is ridiculous, and I know wouldn't be the case. Maybe there's something a little disconcerting being surrounded by so many gay people who have been confident about their sexuality for years - a lot of them are my sort of age, but married, and thinking about having kids. I guess I feel like I'm a bit late to the party. I'm going to really work on talking to these friends about it. And also work on trying to figure out a way to see this girl again - unfortunately she's not someone I will end up seeing again by chance, so I need to try and orchestrate a way.

CameOutSwinging - yep - I think pretty much every relationship (or dating situation) I've been in with a guy has been as a result of that. Thinking back, I can only think of one guy in my life who I've really fancied. And the more I think about it, the more girls I think of who I had massive crushes on. Up to about 12 at the moment. Seriously, makes you wonder how I didn't realise any of this before.

bi2me - don't worry, I'll keep you updated :wink:

6. Houdini

Hey,

when I started to read your post it all felt kind of familiar.
    The difference, for me it wasn't roller derby but football (kind of another cliché). Before getting to know the girls I didn't know any lesbians and therefore didn't think about it too much. And for me it was also a little crush on a girl on my team that got me thinking.

I was a "good girl" in school, a late bloomer and I only had one long term relationship that lasted 5 years. I ended it this summer because I couldn't do it anymore. I wasn't attracked to him anymore and I never really had a lot of interest in sex.

It all got me thinking a lot and looking back I noticed that I had some crushes on my friends. I guess I was even kind of in love with one because it really hurt when our friendship fell apart...

But I also get your point that it's it very difficult to bring it up and discuss it with some of my teammates. Most of the team know that I had a boyfriend and just assume that I am totally straight. And it also feels kind of weird when they all just kind of knew they were gay and well, I didn't. The lesbian scene here isn't that big and it feels weird going to a party where I would meet people I know that think of me as straight and go: what are you doing here....

So I guess we do have a few things in common and for me it helps knowing people are going through the same things. So thanks for sharing.

7. calleigh

Houdini - are you living my life?! I've read through some of your previous posts, and yes, it's all so familiar - it's reassuring to know that someone else is going through pretty much the exact same things.

Yep - everyone's sexuality is generally questioned in derby - as a rule, you don't assume anyone is straight, but because I had a boyfriend, and seem pretty straight up, everyone pretty much did assume I was and I'm now going to have to say 'er, guys...'. A few months ago, someone on the team referred to me as the 'long time straight person' (this was before I was confident enough that I wasn't to even have discussed it with anyone), and I was a little put out by that!

8. Houdini

It is a really weird feeling isn't it? But at the same time it is in a way comforting :wink:

I understand that you were put out by that. And other than you I'm not really out yet (only told my best friend) but thinking about coming out over and over again just because people assume things sounds exhausting. Even if I was in a relationship with a guy why do people never assume someone could also be bisexual? I mean I don't think I am but I feel like people always think you either know you are straight or you know you are gay from a young age...
    Some of my friends still assume I am with my ex-boyfriend because they don't ask anymore. They are single and always complain about men and they don't even let me say anything and just tell me: you have yours so don't complain.

9. cakepiecookie

Hi and welcome, Calleigh!

I can relate a lot as well. Looking back, I've never had anything with a guy that wasn't driven by them. I was flattered that they liked me and I guess that created a sense of intimacy that I mistook for attraction. Even then, I knew deep down that I wasn't really attracted to them, but found ways to rationalise it. And I've only dated two men in my entire life, which is weird given that I've had plenty of opportunities. I'd just convinced myself that I was super picky or not that sexual or something.

I can also relate to looking back on how much I "admired" certain women, or felt flustered around certain friends but never connected the dots that it was because I had a crush on them.

Crazy how out-of-touch with our feelings we can be!