1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One Door Closes and Another One Opens

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by OnTheHighway, Dec 21, 2015.

1. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As I look back on life in general, having heard so many times the notion of "One Door Closes and Another One Opens", while I have always been skeptical of the saying, I look back and actually think about it based on my own experiences, I realize there is a lot of truth to it.

Graduating university and getting my first job; feeling unfulfilled in my first job leading me to move on to taking a risk on a start up opportunity; crashing and burning with the start up and moving on to my current work which I have being doing for over a decade and a half. The professional doors that open and close are numerous, and I am just reflecting on the bigger ones here.

Personally, splitting from my fist same sex love in high school to finding the woman that I would marry; building an emotional wall around myself but bringing two beautiful girls to this world; accepting myself for whom I am and nervously with hesitation embarking on my new life as a gay man to finding my new love and fiancé' at this stage of my life (when I otherwise never expected to do so).

I am middle aged, but have so much life ahead of me (or is 45 the new 30?). There will be more doors closing and opening no doubt. For most of those doors, I had been the one to both close them and open the next. And given the journey of self awareness that I have been on over the past few years, I sense that more doors may need to be closed on my part. If they do close, will others continue to open? And as i get older, does closing and opening them become harder and harder?

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If there is one thing in life that I have learned is that life presents us with an infinite number of possibilities and an equally infinite number of obstacles.

All too often, our biggest obstacle is the person in the mirror...

As long as there is life, there will always be a choice on how to live that life, even within the constraints of a prison cell, there is a choice on how to live the hours and days and years of one's life. All it takes is an openness to seeing just what is possible, unconstrained by any beliefs we may have of ourselves, including whether or not we may be too old...(hint: we aren't).

3. Patagonia

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    :eusa_dancBoth of you: very inspirational thoughts indeed. Maybe too often we wait for the door to open on its own. Well, sometimes we have to push hard to open it. Maybe even kick it in! Good people like you help us build the confidence and strength to do that. Thank you both!

4. Shadowsylke

Yes, I agree! There are always new doors that open for us, and sometimes we do have push it open ourselves. And sometimes we have to close one door before the other will open for us fully. Either way, even though it does take action on our part, there is always a new door to walk through.

And yes, the biggest obstacle is frequently the one in the mirror. Absolutely!

5. Magenta Mucus

Of course! Abso-luutely!