1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to suggest an open marriage? How did you do that?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Soulstone, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am sorry to post so often, but I really need an answer to this question.I read throught this forum and see that many of you actually live in open marriages and it seems to work. I would be happy to hear how you did that. How did you feed the idea of open marriage to your spouses? I just can't imagine myself saying to my husband - "You know, my dear, I like women..Is t ok, if I occasionaly..you know.."
    Any suggestions ? I just don't want to break up our marriage over this because of the kids. But I also don't want to do anything behind his back. Of course, I could just STOP all this and be nice, happy wife again, but I seriously doubt I can do that..

2. rachael1954

Dear Soulstone, I would go out to eat with my h and a pretty lady would walk by, and he would point her out to me and remark on her hot appearance. So for me, that would be an opening to say - "yeah I bet you'd like to xyz her? Yeah I'd like that too... remember I like women? Maybe one day you'd be cool with me doing that? Just to try it out, and I can tell you all about it" or something like that?

Or maybe your h is unique and doesn't point out women on TV or IRL. But mine does ALL THE TIME.

For me personally, the h always knew I was bi, and always said I could be w/ women. So I never had to have 'the talk' with him. Even though I didn't know "for sure" that I was bi myself until this year (maybe lesbian?).

Is he cool with you liking women?

STOPPING all this and just being a nice happy wife again is something I've thought about tons of times. Like, why can't I just go back to how it was? But it's slowly dawning on me that I've changed, and maybe that means I can never be happy again? Or maybe it means I can never live without regret again (because leaving him would kill me with guilt, and leaving her would make me feel like I'm killing part of myself) sorry ranting. I just had to say I think that all the time and maybe It's possible to go back? But maybe it's just not possible. sigh.

3. PlaidGlove

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's another question for you to consider: What if you fall in love with another woman? Try to think beyond the "purely" physical stuff.

4. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Rachael1954

Thank you for your reply.. :slight_smile: I understand how you feel very well,in some ways I can relate. The biggest problem for me is that I can't find the best solution to this "problem" - my sexuality..When I met my husband I was only 21, and was absolutely sure I was straight. Although I had some lesbian experience in high school, it didn't seem important to me at that time. Now I look back to myself then and see a person who didn't know what she wants and who she is. All my life I have felt unexplained sadness which I have mistaken for various things - at first I thought I need to get a boyfriend, then job, then to get married, then have kids and then it will all fade away. Now I have achieved all these things and still feel the same. Five years ago my life suddenly changed - one of my closest friends made a move on me and it was a total chock for me. Not just because it was her (I know her since school, we are really close and she never mentioned anything about being gay or bi), but because of how it made me feel. I understood I no longer can ignore who I am. Since when I have done a lot of soul searching and also tested waters in other ways to be absolutely sure it is all real. Now I know it is. But I don't know how to talk about it with my husband or anyone else.

---------- Post added 26th Dec 2015 at 06:23 AM ----------

PlaidGlove

To be honest I am not yet sure all this open marriage concept is the right thing to do. I am very confused right now..

5. ThatGirlShauna

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like you are me. ALL of this is exactly me.

I don't really know what to do with myself, but I know I'm not happy. My husband is super religious, so I'm really scared about what he will say, and I know he wouldn't be open to an open marriage. And I'm not even sure that is what I want, because I want to have a love and life with a woman, and not just have a girlfriend to fill a need that isn't being met. I also don't think it would be fair to my husband, as I would probably spend more time building my relationship with her, than with him.

I want things to change, too. It's just so hard, isn't it? It's such a daunting road ahead. (*hug*)

6. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've chosen the divorce path, so I'm not going to advise you on how to suggest an open marriage. Rather, make sure that you think through all outcomes before you start down this path with your husband.

What if he says "no"

You should be prepared for the outcome of your husband saying no. Would you be OK staying married? What if he suggests divorce? Are you OK with that?

What if he says "yes"

While an open marriage would allow you to experiment openly, at some point you may discover that you are a lesbian and need to dissolve the marriage in order to live authentically. Things get more complicated if you discover that you are bisexual or meet a woman who you fall in love with. Keep these in mind.

What if he says "maybe"

What would the timeline for a decision be?

Good luck

#6 SiennaFire, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  7. CapColors

What sienna fire said. I couldn't suggest an open marriage because I didn't want HIM falling in love with someone else and dissolving the marriage.

8. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ThatGirlShauna

I am sorry to hear you are in such horrible place right now..There is no way out actually. At least if you are not ready to change your life completely and leave everything behind. I know I am not ready and I don't want my kids to be unhappy because of my selfish decisions..I would be happy to talk to you more about all this..

---------- Post added 27th Dec 2015 at 02:49 AM ----------

SiennaFire

As I read through your post I realized - you are so right! I already have given up the idea of open marriage. I don't know yet what I will do, but this is definitely not a solution. Thank you for eyes-opening words.

---------- Post added 27th Dec 2015 at 02:53 AM ----------

CapColors

I see you are out to your husband. How did you do that? And what the agreement now is between you and him? I hope it's ok to ask you these questions..

9. Rolando4

It sounds like the only reason you don't want to end the marriage is because of the kids. Not because you love him. If that's the case, it's best to end it.you are depriving the two of you of true happiness.

10. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Rolando4

Of course, I love my husband! He is my family. I suppose at 20 everything seems black and white, but believe me, it never is. I don't want to offend you, not at all. I remember myself at your age :slight_smile:

11. latenlife lez

I am right now doing the "open Marriage thing" except my lover lives with us. My husband and I have been dealing with the changes in our relationship since our second child- and when I had a moment to find out for sure- I asked and he was ok with it.

I did not expect to fall in love- and I did- and while we are all still living together for my children and financial support- it takes a lot of give and take.

I have no idea how emotional attached you can be- but for me- if there is no emotional connection- there is no physical- so why I thought I would not fall in love is beyond me.

All I can say is start the conversation- you don't know how it will go until you- then you can make decisions- otherwise you are putting the cart before the horse

PS I love my husband-as well- and he understands that I will never share his bed again. we have been together for 15 years- while divorce will happen eventually- it will not stop my loving him

#11 latenlife lez, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  12. CapColors

A few months ago I simply told him that I was bi now; that I had awakened to my sexual attraction toward women. He asked me if I planned on cheating or if I thought I was gay all the way. I said no to both. I was very unhappy for about six months because I do desire a relationship with a woman. But I knew an open marriage was not in the cards for me, so I let that go for now. Maybe in a few years I will return to the idea.

He and I talk in a very limited way about my desires. Mostly in wink-wink joking kind of way.

13. bi2me

I'm going to jump in here too, now that I am back from vacation. I'm out to my husband (came out during crisis, but he knew about past experiences during high school), and we share fantasies and dreams and looking at women.

I completely get where you are coming from. My husband and I have been together since we were 14/15. We broke up during college for a couple of months (long story, but so he would get help for depression) and I chose not to date anyone else. I was convinced we'd get back together, and I was pretty sure I'd want a woman and I wasn't ready to go there.

Anyway, back in October, he told me that he knows I'd like to be with a woman someday, and neither of us is ready for that today. It seems super complicated with the kids. That said, I would MUCH rather operate with his knowledge and permission than cheat on him.

I'm seeing my bff tomorrow, which is always fun, and also totally frustrating sexually, but we focus on the friendship and try to ignore the massive sexual tension between us.