1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out on social media?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by gaydad917, Dec 27, 2015.

1. gaydad917

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know that everyone's coming out journey is different, but I am seriously thinking about coming out to family and friends that I am not very close to on social media. I only have one more important friend and a family member to tell. After that, I want to just get it all out and move on. My wife is supportive of this, as she doesnt want to have to rehash it all the time either. My mom and aunt (my second mom!) are against it, they think I should only tell the people I care about, not everyone. What kind of thoughts and advice do y'all have?

2. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out on social media about six months after I came out to family and close friends. In my enthusiasm for all things gay, I was posting or reposting all kinds of gay-related pictures, articles, etc. and it simply became too much of a chore trying to manage who saw what. Plus, there was always the needless anxiety that I might have inadvertently outed myself to someone I hadn't already told. So in the end, I didn't post a big announcement; instead I wrote about something that happened to me that made it crystal clear who I was sexually. I got a few nice comments from friends/acquaintances and that was that. These days I post a lot less frequently on social media, but I no longer self-censor or feel any anxiety about what I do post.

3. yeehaw

I think it's great that you want to do it and your wife is supportive! I don't find myself especially moved by your mom and aunt thinking you should only come out to some people. If they had concerns about things like you losing your job, or some other bad consequence for you, it would still be totally up to you, but worth really thinking through. Did they have any other concerns beyond "I think you shouldn't tell everyone"?

4. gaydad917

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They are concerned that I will get a lot of hate, which I am ready to accept if need be. Plus they worry about my son, but he is only 3 and a half, he only goes to preschool, so I am not worried about anyone causing him any problems. They are a little old school sometimes. Haha