1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to completely reinvent yourself?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by crazydog15, Dec 28, 2015.

1. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And I mean, as completely as possible. I'm not planning on changing my name, but I am fantasizing about completing the responsibilities I have now, finding a completely new career, going back to school if need be, moving somewhere awesome, building a new network of friends, everything. Not exactly abandon my current/old life, but definitely wrap things up and start fresh elsewhere doing something different. It would be great, too, if I could do all of that by tomorrow, just, you know, because.

Or is that just not realistic?

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What you describe may not be actually reinventing yourself, but finding out whom you really are and what you really should be doing. Coming to terms with your sexuality is just one part of the journey. The next part is figuring out what it is your supposed to be doing with your life.

I do believe you can find your authentic self both personally and professionally, just keep the journey going.

3. Mike64

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think it is a great idea if you can do it. When I came out to my very Christian sister I was happily surprised by her response that life is too short to spend it unhappily. I agree with her. Live your life to it's fullest. Explore every avenue.

4. yeehaw

I think the key is getting in touch with who you are at your core (including but not limited to sexuality) and finding a way to live your life that honors that. That *might* look like new job, new location, new friends, but I think it would be a mistake for the *purpose* to be new location, new job, new friends. That might set you up to feel empty in a different environment, but if the *purpose* underlying changes is honoring the parts of you that are YOU and can't be changed then it's grrreeeeaaaaaat.

5. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's definitely possible if you want it bad enough and I think it can work wonderfully. Both my husband and I did it at different times in our lives. I'm from Salt Lake City and he's from Oklahoma City. We both just up and moved one day--new jobs, new homes, new social circles. We both pretty much just started over entirely and we're both glad we did. We both pretty much just walked into different situations and said this is who I am, and no one had any reason to question it...

6. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with you on this, and yet I know it'll be the toughest thing for me. It's relatively easy just to pack your bags and go somewhere else; right now, though, I'm not real sure who the real "me" actually is. I also don't know how to find that out...

7. ConsciousRose42

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Absolutely is possible --
    I have def spent my life so far re inventing myself --
    Only thing to note I've found is 'make sure not running away from self because that self only follows you ''
    Change location and job in line with what's right and good
    Changing these things instead of changing self can bring change that is not necessary the one we were looking for --
    Happy journey go well --
    The road to happy destiny

8. rachael1954

crazydog15 - if you do it, just be sure to keep your EC account and tell us all about it. Because I'm thisclose to doing it myself.

I think it's totally realistic. I've been reading reddit about people doing this and haven't seen any regrets so far... but if you regret it you might not be posting it on reddit. It sounds like the best way is to plan carefully. Make sure you have enough determination and then go and hit the ground running. The happiness and growth people have found doing this make me want it so bad!

9. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've tended to flit from one thing to another my whole life, so I don't think "re-invent" would really apply, but I've thought about just picking up and going somewhere where no one knows me and starting over a few times. Well, actually I've already done that a few times, come to think of it, but I never really had a solid plan any of those times. Someday, maybe I'll figure out what I want to be when I grow up :wink:

10. YeahpIdk

Reinvention is totally possible. I did it once. Dropped old friends I knew weren't adding anything positive to my life. Broke up with someone who wasn't fulfilling me anymore. Went to college and became a different person -- even turned gay :slight_smile:lol:slight_smile:. I think it's like Highway says -- you're just moving more towards who you really are.

I'm about to slightly reinvent, too. More letting go of the unnecessary, and moving forward with what feels true to my self.

If you're craving change. It means that's what you need. Go for it -- and good luck!

11. yellow2002

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i think improving and reconnecting with yourself is what you want to do.

i honestly moved away from home and it was a great decision because it forced me to think for myself all the time. i didn't have any connections to anyone when i initially moved and that was awesome.

just remember that making a major change doesn't necessary equal a new you. you still have to do the internal work. it's like losing a lot of weight and just expecting your life to instantly be better. you have to build confidence and self-esteem, discipline, self-love, etc in order to be successful.

12. Chicagoblue

I partially reinvented myself...totally new career 6 years ago. It has been a struggle (could have chosen more wisely based on the market and my skills). However still married to the same person, same home, same kids (of course). I'm inching toward going all the way...coming out completely as gay and just starting over. Career now going great but not fulfilled personally.

13. pasinhose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a great question and one I've thought about as well. I say it is possible but for family relationships. Now if the family is distant or gone or not in the picture. Certainly.

For the record, I am out to a few people but if I were to relocate somewhere completely new for me and where I have no friend or family relationships (and as an example lets pick Chicago or Atlanta or Phoenix), I would be completely out. Crazydog, I am going to think about your question for a while. Very intriguing.