1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out bi to family while married. Advice? Your own experience?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by FalconBlueSky00, Dec 30, 2015.

1. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would like to come out to my family, including my in laws. I'm tired of the constant self editing. I want to be able to say what want, and I want my family to stop using derogatory speech at least to my face. (Realisticly I don't have any hope of changing them, I'll settle for not being directly insulted if possible.) I want to be proud to say who I am. And I want my possible future children to know the real me. One of the things I know is going to be ackward is the fact that I've been married forever. I can see them saying your married, you must be confused. And with the in laws, well, it seems like that will be ackward. I guess I'm asking has anyone else been through this? How did it go?

History of being married forever: I was out to my husband before we got serious dating. Since high school I've been out to most of my friends and work associates when it was reasonably safe to do so. We got together when I was young, like 16. Married at 19. Now 35 pushing 36.

2. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, let me ask you something - why do you want to come out in your situation? Your husband knows, you don't want to leave marriage or make any other life changing decisions. You know who you are, you have made a choice to be with your husband, nobody else needs to know of your sexual preferences..but it's just my opinion. Im also bisexual, but I keep this information to myself, mainly because I have already chosen my life partner and nobody cares of I like women too. I am sometimes sad that the only way for me to be with a woman is to cheat on my husband which is so wrong..But that's a different subject.

3. ThatGirlShauna

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, if it were me, I would just respond when/if they say something that is offensive. Like "Well, I'm actually bisexual, and that's pretty offensive to me."

4. bi2me

I've just started responding as if people know that I'm bisexual when possible. Since my family is pretty progressive, it doesn't really come up in a hurtful way, but if the guys are talking about female celebrities, I might chime in.

5. CapColors

You could try Facebook? I don't do Facebook but a lot of people seem to do this.

6. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ThatGirlShauna- I've definitely used that with coworkers and it works pretty well most of the time. I don't know if I want to be quite so out of the blue to family. I would like to give them the best chance of not being jerks.

bi2me and CapColors- those are both very good ideas, had been considering similar, it's very good to know someone else thinks that might be a good idea too.

Soulstone- For most of my marriage I have thought like that. What does it matter if people know my preferences ect... This summer there was a major incidence of family violence in my mothers side of the family. I have removed myself from almost all contact with that side of my family since then. I was an abused child, burned, beaten, degraded, and left alone with known sex predators. (I include this because I know someone is reading this going, You cut off contact with your mother?!) one of the things about being abused is the shame. It's all pervasive, it controls and drowneds you. I've been getting in touch with who I am, trying to separate me, who I am, from this shame. About a month ago one of my husbands friends was in town for a visit. I was about to say something about a actress I thought was cute, and my inner editor cut me off. Then I realized that my husbands friend is gay, has been out since high school and would probably be one of the most supportive people I could possibly find. So I continued to think about why I cut myself off to him. I decided that it was shame, I'm still shaming myself for being different, as much as for things I couldn't change in my childhood. I really looked at my thoughts of what does it matter. To me I does matter, even though I chose a guy, I'm not straight. That is a part of who I am and it changes the way I see the world. I want to come out, not so people know who I would like to have sex with, but because it's a part of me I want to be proud of. Thank you for your response, it helped me put into words some of the things I've been thinking.

7. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Bunny45
    Your story is horrible, I am so sorry you had to go through all that..I understand why it is important for you to come out. I hope you will feel better once you do it. For me (but my background and upbringing is different) the most important thing was admitting to myself - yes, pretty little catholic a-grades student with post card family life is NOT STRAIGHT. I don't need anyone else to know, I need me to aknowledge that and not faint :slight_smile: Still working on it though..

8. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so sorry for what's happened in your past. I hope that you can find some peace with it.

I have not had such trauma and my family is supportive but I also have come to believe it's important for me to come out as bi and married. This in particular ftom what you said feels much like my feelings:

***To me I does matter, even though I chose a guy, I'm not straight. That is a part of who I am and it changes the way I see the world. I want to come out, not so people know who I would like to have sex with, but because it's a part of me I want to be proud of. ***

I came out over email because I live overseas, far from my family so there really isn't much opportunity to talk about serious stuff with them. Writing it out gave me quite a nice chance to say everything I was feeling and to sort through my thoughts. I recommend writing out what you want to say regardless of how you want to deliver the message. It really does make it easier to talk about why it's so important to you to share with your family.

I also recommend starting with the most supportive people to the least, to give you the confidence to broach the subject with those you're scared to talk to. Each time you come out to another family member you will hopefully feel more strong.

Best of luck to you. Sending warm hugs and strength to you!(*hug*)

#8 baristajedi, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  9. bi2me

As kind of an aside to this, I struggle with the idea of formally coming out. (This is an ongoing conversation between my trans friend, his (he prefers male pronouns) wife, my bff who is also bi, and me. )

I feel guilty not doing it, because I know that the more people who are out, the faster public opinion changes. This makes it especially important to be out to people who might not be totally supportive, because it can help change their minds.

I also feel uncomfortable making an announcement right now, because I worry about the scrutiny it will put my marriage under and the inappropriate questions we are likely to get. I wonder if it is worth the headache and trouble when nothing visible has changed. I know my husband would rather we not tell our parents.

So for the moment, and I reserve the right to change my mind even within the body of this post, I'm making no announcement, but being much more vocal as an 'ally', and adding in my own comments about women I find attractive. At some point, should my situation change, I've already decided to tell more people directly, before I would start dating.

At this point, all of my closest friends know, and to me, my sex life isn't anyone else's business. But I might change my mind on all of that tomorrow. :slight_smile:

10. rachael1954

I am only telling non-mutual friends at this point. So my life is pretty fragmented at the moment.

11. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just came across this thread and this is exactly how I feel. Especially around other LGBT people, as sometimes I feel like I'm kind of lying by omission. I find I stop myself from saying things too and I'm not really sure why. I think its hard as everyone just assumes you are straight.

Anyway I'm working on being a bit more open about it and telling the friends I have who don't know.

12. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm still planning on coming out all the way, been thinking about how I want to go about it. Tested the waters of vulnerability with my dad, he reacted very Texas, sort of - emotions we don't have those come on honey lets shoot someti'n it'll be fun. Not literally, but he does want to drag me to the gun range if I'd ever agree. I'm thinking Facebook looks good, knowing there is no way I won't get some bad reactions, it creates a good 300 miles of space between me and whoever is being a butt.

13. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What were you thinking of saying on Facebook? Does seem an easy way to tell everyone at once. Let me know how it goes? I worry that some straight friends might not get it, if you know what I mean? Sometimes, telling people in the past I have ended up feeling like I have to justify myself. Good luck! And if anyone does have a bad reaction that is their own prejudice and their problem!

14. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll probably put the rainbow flag over my profile pic for people who don't catch a lot of feed. And then I'll make a post similar to what I said in this thread. I already expect that people will want me to justify my decision to come out. Since I am married I expect a lot of people the ask what does it matter, and then ask if my husband and I are breaking up. That's very irritating to have to deal with, but I've heard it all before from coming out to friends. I'm going to try to address that from the start and maybe I'll only have to say it a few times. Lately I've been posting more LGBT news stories getting people used to the idea of what my values are.

#14 FalconBlueSky00, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016