1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carol- anyone seen it yet?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by latenlife lez, Jan 3, 2016.

1. latenlife lez

Hey there

I saw Carol today- I had to drive 2 and half hours to find a theater that would show it. But it was worth the drive.

I am still processing it-but i can say it was beautifully made and as I read in one review truly a love story. It did not matter to me that it was two women and it did.

In many ways the movie left a bit unspoken- and left it up to the audience to decided how Carol and Therese were thinking and feeling with their acting- ( smoky looks) and an incredible score. I am a bit of movie soundtrack snob- I like Carter Burwell who did this score.

I don't want to spoil it for anyone who has not seen it- so stop reading if you don't want take on the end

##################################################################################################################################################################

More importantly I guess I wanted to be like Carol - To me she seemed brave- she realized that in her time- and with the power and money her husband had- she could have her cake and eat it too- she gave up custody of her child- but demanded visitation- unlimited and whenever-- She said she could not live any more other who she was. She loved a woman- a woman who she barely knew- but wanted a chance to know better. She was not willing in my opinion to settle and be who society thought she should be - ( a very naugthy woman who had a mental illness and was mostly cured- or at least has done her therapy). She wanted to be happy- she wanted her husband to be happy as well and said that there nothing either of them could do to make each other happy.

She challenged what the meaning of happiness meant- and it was not about being happy- which I think society defines as having everything and feeling good. Being happy is about laughter, passion, pain and tears. It is everything and nothing. But no matter what it begins with the person who seeks it. Not in someone providing it. Therese did not provide her happiness-- Therese gave her love- and in receiving the love as woman who loves another- that is what Carol found to be her happiness. She was willing not to receive it- but she was not willing to not ask for it.

I wonder if that is the true definition of happiness?

Please share your thoughts-with me and the EC community

2. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

"Carol" is being discussed under Arts & Entertainment.
    I loved the movie. Is it wrong to see it as the female version of Brokeback Mountain?

Btw, do you know why Carol was carrying a gun around with her? Was that a common
    thing in the 1950's in the USA... to have a woman carrying a gun?? Was she afraid for her safety?

3. latenlife lez

Thanks for sending me to the right place

I think Carol knew her husband was going to try something- and wanted it for intimation purposes- her husband had drinking problems and I imagine get physical when he wanted too-

I do not about it being a cultural norm- although Carol was from a higher social class background- and sometimes it was the norm for them to carry for protection when they were going places they were not familiar with.

4. Shadowsylke

I loved it too. I thought the acting was great, and it was nice to see a female love story treated such a "normal", loving way.