1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More conversation, less action, more confusion

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by CameOutSwinging, Jan 4, 2016.

1. CameOutSwinging

Last time on "my life," I separated from my (not-legally-married-to) wife, only to go back a day later, then realize that may have been a mistake, and again move into my mother's apartment about a week later. So here's where we are now -

We're separated still, but talk every day and see each other just about every day as well. We've had some major fights in the last week, including a very public one in midtown Manhattan on New Year's Eve. I'm mostly living at my Mom's, though I did spend the last four nights at home (NYE, after meeting up with my wife around 2 am. She was wasted and needed somebody to get her home safely; Friday night I spent at home but alone, as she went to stay by her mother's; Saturday we spent all of together at my cousin's wedding; Sunday we spent together, mostly talking about our relationship). I'm back at my Mom's tonight.

Admittedly, I'm still not sure how I'm feeling in terms of what to do next. Yes I get the sexuality aspects of our issues, I like men and maybe, just maybe, would be happier being with a man. But I do love my wife. So my focus has shifted a little bit. Now I'm thinking well, if we both made certain changes as people, our relationship could work. But maybe I'm wrong. Part of me wonders if the things that I want from another person just aren't things that I can get from her. And on that basic level, if we're just not a match, then that's that. And yes, if I'm single, I'm going to date men.

Now my wife, on the other hand, thinks that my sexuality is the thing that needs to be figured out first and the relationship issues outside of that can be figured out later. It's hard, because I feel like I've figured my sexuality out actually - I like men! A lot! I'd date men if I were single! Done. To me, it doesn't mean that I can't be monogamous (yes I know, my past has not been monogamous, but I've been approaching sex very differently the last few months. I feel like I've matured in that regard) and it doesn't mean that I'll be suffering. Mixed orientation marriages exist, some people on here are even part of them. It is do-able if it is the choice we make.

That said, my wife finally had a breakthrough of her own. SHE'S THE ONE THAT NEEDS TO FIGURE OUT MY SEXUALITY! That is, she is the one that needs to decide if she wants to be with a man that is openly admitting that he likes men, that wants to be able to speak openly about such things to friends, family, on social media, etc. That she will support me through the journey and try to be more understanding about what I am going through. And the truth is, right now, she's just not sure. If she decides she can't do it and that's the official end of things, she feels that she can probably stay friends with me, and I would be happy about that.

It came up because she saw a post on her FB about somebody being "queer" and asked me what that means. I tried to explain it to her, looked up some articles that did it better than I could, but she just didn't understand. To her, it all just sounds like "confused," which I get if you're coming at it from a point of view of never really being exposed to such things. But truthfully, I probably come closer to identifying as queer than any other label, so I took the chance to ask her if she wanted to see some articles and maybe try to understand it a bit more. She said she's not sure, because reading stuff like that just pushes her away more. To me, that is major potentially. I can be "queer" without being with men, but I want my partner to at least be understanding of who I am and empathetic towards it. Empathy more than anything else. I don't think that's a crazy thing to ask.

So that's where we are, thinking things over. There's no denying that there's love here between us, but she has every right to not want to be with a man who is into men. She just needs to decide that, just like I need to decide on being with somebody who has certain characteristics that she has and may always have (lack of empathy is a huge one and it comes out in different ways about different things honestly).

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am not sure I agree at all with your belief that your wife needs to figure things out. YOU NEED TO FIGURE THINGS OUT.

If you think you have, and I have been reading all your posts, I think your only fooling yourself. Your perpetuating your own lie.

My two cents.....

3. CameOutSwinging

I guess to me, the part to figure out is if I could be happy long term in a monogamous relationship with a woman. And I don't know how one figures that out per se. I'm not in the position of some of the people on here who have been married for a decade and hit a point where I realized it isn't what I want. This may sound weird because I know the struggles you guys have gone through, but sometimes I wish that were the case so maybe I'd feel more sure about things. But I also get that you probably look at me and think I should do something now and NOT be the person who comes out at 40 after a decade of marriage, possibly having kids, etc.

I feel like I'm coming to terms with knowing who I am and being able to say it - a gay man who happens to love a woman. But maybe knowing what to do with that is the hard part.

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you really love her in that way where you would sacrifice your happiness? I am not sure you do, and I do not understand why you continue to try and convince yourself of it.

Part of what I sense is that you would just rather not have to make the tough choices unless they were made for you.

#4 OnTheHighway, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  5. Sorrel

The general feeling I get from your post is that it talks a lot about your wife. It seems to me you're trying to understand how she thinks and taking on her "stuff". But it is not yours. How do you feel? What do you want? Regardless of her.

You have figured it out - that's the feeling I get as well. You married this woman that you love, and you know you love her, you know you love men, and you know you're confused. This is the result. Would staying together yield a different result?

It's possible that it wouldn't, that's the sense I get. There's probably a reason why you're torn between staying and going, and only you can know it. But I'm curious to hear, how would you describe your love for her? How does she make you feel?

Before I left my ex, I had an inkling it would be a huge relief but I felt selfish for feeling that, so I stayed. Working on our relationship together was mainly about training myself to read his mind and meet his needs, as that was what he was looking for in a partner. Today, I feel precisely the relief I had caught a glimpse of before. In fact I don't suffer at all from not seeing him - I really feel free and grounded.

You should follow your heart, do ignore my words if they don't make sense to you. I wish you all the best and happiness in 2016 :slight_smile:

#5 Sorrel, Jan 5, 2016
  6. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ...they are not legally married if I understand the history together. They have a reception only.

7. CameOutSwinging

You're 100% right that I like the tough choices being made for me. I mean, not to say that if my wife (and yes, you're right, we're not legally wed) decided it was over that I wouldn't be upset, but I'd have an easier time saying okay, time to move forward and deal. I guess I'm pretty honest in my words if that trait of mine is so obvious that you can see it.

I really do love her, and I guess the main question I have is whether staying with her even would be sacrificing my happiness or if it's just a matter of finding that happiness within the relationship. That's the struggle right now. Maybe that's what the struggle has always been.

8. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In prior posts, you yourself has said you are happier when it comes to guys, and she has even said she sees how your happier that way. If on the one hand you know something else WILL make you happy, and on the other you would be SEARCHING for happiness, doesn't the known quantity outweigh the unknown?

9. CameOutSwinging

You definitely get the right sense of the questions going through my mind as well. When things are good with her, I feel like I am in a loving relationship. But honestly, I do wonder if part of it is just me being happy to have somebody, period. I think often that our "love languages" aren't quite the same. I'm a lot more affectionate, a lot more caring, and understanding than I think she is. I want those things given back to me and I wonder now if she is capable. And it doesn't make her a bad person if she isn't, it just might mean that we're not right for each other.

Maybe that's something that has always been there and I've just let myself ignore it because I knew if she just gave me the chance, we could fall in love. And we did. But now I question why I didn't figure out the things that I wanted before, or figure out that at the very least I should stand up for the things that I want.

---------- Post added 5th Jan 2016 at 08:16 AM ----------

I'm happier when I'm able to be open and honest about who I am. Which is a big part of why I say I'm becoming comfortable with admitting that I'm predominately gay and want to be open about it. It's the lying that makes me unhappy, as at heart I think I'm a very honest person.

I guess, and this is where I admit it probably sounds stupid but I know I'm far from the only person in this position, as I've googled up quite a few stories about it - does being openly gay mean that I can't be with a woman?

10. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you can do whatever you want, the question is, why would you want to? By doing so, your limiting yourself to fully embracing whom you are. Your not married legally, you do not have kids, you do not have a chain and ball.

I get you love your partner, but she can never fully satisfy you. You can find love with others who can provide that fulfillment' and lead an authentic life at the same time.

Whats the point otherwise?

11. Sorrel

I'll share a secret... a few days ago, I put "lesbian" as my orientation here on the site. Really I'm just playing around. Like a little kid, putting on a beautiful dress and running around, not caring what anyone thinks. I've got full permission from myself to take the label off at any time. Who knows, maybe tomorrow I'll turn a corner and bump into the most fascinating man on the planet, or begin to feel very passionate about pictures of guys with their shirts off. Actually I'm curious to see if this will occur and I'm waiting with anticipation... I've given myself permission to swing any way I happen to swing.

But girls though... :wink: :newcolor:

Anyway, this leads me to a conclusion. That maybe it's not being gay we are afraid of. But maybe we're afraid that we're straight... because we don't want to be. Does that make sense? Afraid that we're "straight enough" to "have" to live a life where we adapt to the norm -- for example I've discovered that I'm completely open to the idea of having sex with a man again, but - I don't feel for men like I feel for women. I partially identify with the man (as I'm genderfluid and looking at a sexy man makes me feel sexy, as if I were looking at myself), I can't connect emotionally with him on a deep level, plus the idea of us being a man and a woman together turns me off, etc.

So I can definitely relate to what you're writing...

Nowadays I regard it all as a big experiment. What will I find out about myself next? How do men make me feel? And women? Do the feelings and sensations change over time? What am I feeling in this moment?

#11 Sorrel, Jan 5, 2016
  12. CameOutSwinging

That's interesting. Definitely food for thought.

I mean, the things I know about myself always make me think on paper I'm soooo gay. Attracted to men since I was a kid, actively having sex with men since I was 19, even falling in love with a couple of guys (all be it they didn't result in relationships). I have an emotional connection with women and do enjoy sex with women, though I don't really desire it (I did twice in my life, but at this point, I feel comfortable saying I'd be fine never having sex with a woman again). But yeah, I've had moments where I felt like I wasn't gay, that I was just one of those guys who likes sex and having it with men was easier than having it with women. Of course, that doesn't explain my attraction to men, which is like whoa. So yeah. Who on Earth knows.

But it certainly sounds like I'm gay.

---------- Post added 5th Jan 2016 at 12:14 PM ----------

I guess sometimes I wonder if anybody could fully satisfy me. Like, what does that even mean? Would falling in love with a man be different from falling in love with a woman has been? When I fell in love with my friend this summer, it felt a lot like falling for my ex from when I was 21. And even how I felt when my wife and I first fell in love. So maybe there's no difference there? And sex wise, I've had amazing sex with both men and women. Again, does that change? I don't know, just giving you the things that are going through my mind as I analyze (probably overly so) this whole thing.

13. rachael1954

I enjoyed the title of this thread. It is my life also.

So yeah, you seem 100% sure of her needs, her wants, and her capabilities as a loving life partner.

You seem sure you can stay with her, even though you prefer men.
    1. because of the love between you two and
    2. because even though you are at odds with different love languages you believe that you can possibly work on it and get it working.

I guess my question is - is she as into working on your communication as you are? Or are you doing ALL the work here? If she chooses to decide to want to live with your sexuality, is that all she's giving, or is she committed to working with you on relationship issues?

I like to put the sexuality thing aside also, and look at my marriage from the standpoint of "if sexuality weren't an issue, would I be happy?" but I'm not sure if that is productive or just another way I can postpone my decision-making. But it is interesting to discover all these negatives to my marriage, whereas before I knew i was not hetero I only saw positives. Not sure if this helps, or is just adding more conversation & confusion to your already full plate.

#13 rachael1954, Jan 5, 2016
  14. CameOutSwinging

That's kind of exactly what I'm doing, trying to look at the other issues. I mean, it doesn't help that I'm naturally a co-dependent person, so I have to kind of work against my natural instinct to just cave and make things all better. I've told her a few of the things I need/want from her (and no, this does not include an open marriage) and she's considering if they're things she can work on. She says I would need to give it time, and while I agree that some things will take time, things like being more empathetic and maybe not being rude/mean/yelling should be something she can fix right now. Just a matter of controlling her instinctual responses. I don't think that's unfair to ask. But maybe I'm wrong about that.

There's stuff I need to work on too that she needs from me, but those are far easier (like contributing more financially, and doing more of the chores). She sees me as an irresponsible person, which bothers me but I do sort of get what she's saying.

But yeah, this could also all be an act of futility.

15. CameronBayArea

Out Status:
    A few people
    You're an openly gay man married to a straight woman? No, you're not alone. I know quite a number of men in that situation. You're younger than most; that's a bit different.

Can such a marriage work and be mutually satisfying? Absolutely.
    Can your relationship work for years, then fall apart? Definitely.
    It terms of possible outcomes, your relationship is no different than any other.

While being openly gay does not mean splitting up is imminent, it is a compromise both you and your partner need to willingly (even joyfully) embrace for as long as you are together.

I accepted myself as gay at 15 but married a woman at 23 anyway. I came out to her at 26, before we had kids. At that time, we split up for two months and then got back together. Twenty three years later, we're still married!

Although that will likely change this year.

What doomed my marriage was my wife's insecurity about my sexuality. For a long time she harbored a secret fear that I was going to leave her one day. Then, once she revealed that fear and I made it clear I was never going to leave, she realized I could never satisfy her because she didn't feel authentically desired.

That was very difficult to hear. I'm gay and *I* was satisfied enough to be monogamous...why wasn't our connection and sex life good enough for her??? Well, it wasn't. This became crystal clear when she fell in love with another man. "The difference," for her, was huge. It wasn't like night vs. day, but it was enough for her to know that she didn't want to stay with me. That was pretty brutal to learn, especially after 24 years and three children together.

Having THE relationship of my life end when I was 100% committed to it was very painful. It's been five years and I still experience moments of intense hurt. I've learned a lot in the process, so that's good, and I completely identify with the straight spouse experience, because it mirrors my own, but all that good news considered, I would have preferred to have split up at 26, not 44.

They say communication is the key ingredient for relationship success. I totally agree. What I've learned, however, is that being close to someone and *feeling* like you're communicating isn't enough. What's essential is that you SHARE THE TRUTHS THAT ARE MOST FRIGHTENING. As a co-dependent personality myself, I'm pretty good at smoothing things over during a rough patch. I'll bend and twist myself into nearly any position just to put an end to the awkwardness of fighting (or even disagreeing). What that does is push the really difficult issues into the future. Nothing is resolved, the disagreements are merely postponed - hopefully until they don't matter any more.

Well, when the issues are fundamental, this is a horrible strategy. Fundamental issues always matter.

In my view, the best way to secure a questionable relationship is to lay all the ugly the truths on the table ASAP and then take both pleasure and solace in the fact that, whatever happens, it's for the best for both of you, in the long run. If you say the truths you most fear to share...and the universe explodes into misery and chaos...then whatever you two have afterward...that's real. And, the very worst is behind you. If you decide to stay together, you'll both be FULLY and UNAMBIGUOUSLY committed to doing so. Why? Because your worst-case scenario has already played out and you still wanted to be together. Facing your worst fears makes you invulnerable as a couple; every other challenge that comes afterward will pale in comparison.

Make or break - that's the kind of communication every questionable relationship needs.

16. CameOutSwinging

Wow, cameronbayarea, thank you for sharing all of that. That's so many of my fears just spelled out right there. I already know that my wife has issues with my sexuality. She's told me that a big reason for our sex life suffering was her fear of not being enough because I'm bisexual, which she's known since basically day 1. I do fear her leaving me in the future because it would potentially feel like I wasted time I could have spent being young and meeting men (I already feel like I missed a bit of that).

I'm actually planning to show her your post (I'll copy/paste it to her in an email, as I don't want to show her the forum) as I think it may even help her to realize some of the fears she has and hasn't expressed yet.

You're so right though about communication being absolutely key. Full, unfiltered, communication. Which is s challenge for me.

17. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cameronbayarea, to put the blame for your doomed marriage on your wife for her insecurities about your sexuality has got to be one of the biggest passing of the buck and lack of responsibility I have read on this forum since I have joined.

And CameOutSwinging, to think this should be an example for your partner (I and not going to dignify calling her your wife since you never legally married) to help her get comfortable and pacify her fears is simply a way for you to continue to pass the buck and not take responsibility for your situation.

#17 OnTheHighway, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  18. CameOutSwinging

My head is still just all over the place. I guess that's the best way to put it.

19. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This forum is confidential, no one knows whom you are, you are just another poster to the world whom comes on here. At the same time with your background where you went through with a fake wedding without actually getting married so everyone can think you got married, which suggests that what others think has importance to you; and where there is no risk to you, your identity, your reputation on this site, and being honest only with yourself, my question is -

What are you really afraid of?

20. CameOutSwinging

Top of the list, I think, is fear of being wrong. That I'm not actually gay, and that I could have made things work with this woman I love and just got too caught up in sex to let myself just be bisexual and okay with just being with a woman. I know, I know, so many things logically point to me being gay - my attraction to men (and lack there of towards women); my history of sexual encounters with men; my feelings for a man this past summer (and back in college); my feeling a connection to people who are openly gay, and gay topics. Just to spitball a few things. But I'm not a logical person. I tend to think with my heart. And in my heart, I've had two women who I've fallen in love with in my lifetime. Who I found attractive because I loved them. Who I enjoyed being intimate with because I loved them. With that aspect being true, it makes me question how I can really be 100% gay. I can say without question that if I were to be single again, I'd date men only. Probably force myself to stick with it. But that's not exactly where I'm at. And I fear being wrong about it and ending up alone or with another woman just to have this play out again.

I'm afraid of being rejected, by pretty much anybody ever, for the most part. I'm actually surprised how little it bothers me that my ex-girlfriend rejecting me two months ago didn't bother me at all past a slight sting, maybe I just don't care about her as much anymore. But rejection from people I do care about, and that includes my wife, is scary.

I actually don't think I went through with the wedding just for the show of it. I went through with it because I didn't want to call it off, because of that fear of losing her (because I may be wrong, and because I don't want to be rejected). I proposed not getting legally wed because it still gave me an easier out if I decided I wanted that. Basically, I found my way to have my cake and eat it too. At least in regards to not wanting to commit while also not wanting to walk away.

I'm also slightly afraid of not being monogamous. Because most people seem to want that. Heck, I think I want that, emotionally at least. I don't know, it's a point that I've not considered a lot. But what if I fell for a guy who wasn't 100% my type? What if I still wanted to have sex with other guys? Wouldn't that just leave me in the same place? I think a lot of it is not having very much confidence, and feeling affirmed by every new guy who comes across and says hey you're hot enough to have sex with. It boosts my confidence. Doesn't last, but it works for awhile.

I think I have a lot of work to do on myself, no matter what.