1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adjusting expectations for myself, in general

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by crazydog15, Jan 7, 2016.

1. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I read somewhere the other day that many gay men have trouble loving themselves. Not like a narcissist, but in respecting themselves and in thinking that they are worth being loved. So I'm going to give this a shot.

Every day, sometimes many, many times during the day, I say that I'm stupid, that I'm worthless, that I'm a f*g, a queer, and lots of other bad things. I don't like that I do this, but I do it. Maybe it's because I expect myself to be something... different? Maybe I have it instilled somewhere deep down that I'm supposed to be straight, that I'm supposed to be absurdly smart and never make mistakes, that I'm supposed to always be approved of by others. I can sit here right now and know that these standards aren't realistic: some men are gay (including me); everyone makes mistakes, and making mistakes isn't a negative reflection on anyone; the only people who are always approved of by others are the ones who never truly be themselves. I want to change these expectations and standards that I hold myself to for whatever reason. I want to be something different, but I'm not entirely sure what that is.

On a side note, I really can't believe I'm going through this. It's like the past eight weeks or so have been a massive whirlwind of changes, in good ways. I'm finally processing stuff that's been bottled up for eons. I do wish, of course, that I'd had the chance to do this earlier...

2. rachael1954

Glad to hear you're processing through your emotions, and that it feels good or a relief or at least authentic.

No one can fit all of society's expectations, and you are right about being gay not meaning something negative. Now if only I could get to where you are. It's easy to say but you have gotten to where you believe it, so that is a very good thing!!

3. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think a big step towards acceptance, and letting a lot of the negative shit go, is to be able to step back and ponder what exactly changes about you just because you're gay. It doesn't make you any less moral, it doesn't detract from your character, it's merely one facet of who you are as a human being.