1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling like I need a guidance counselor

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by crazydog15, Jan 8, 2016.

1. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do guidance counselors for adults exist? One weird part about second adolescence is that I feel like I need one. Someone to help me with career information, with information about further education (and if it's even worth it). And preferably, someone who can at least sympathize with what it's like to be finally coming to terms with yourself well past the point when most (read: straight) people do.

2. YeahpIdk

I think the adult equivalent of that is a life coach, or therapist. Therapists can be amazing!!

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are most definitely career counselors. In general, I'd prefer that over a life coach. While there are some awesome and talented life coaches, there are very few standards and no licensure for coaches, so the quality is all over the map.

Career counselors usually have either certification in occupational therapy, psychotherapy, or sometimes an Ed.D degree.

And therapists... can indeed be really amazing. Good ones don't give advice or even really guide you so much as they reflect with you and help you find what you want to do.

4. Mikelhpc228

HI
    Yes, In Mass we have the Career Place (free) where you can obtain info on career changes, counseling resources, some vocational training, and job openings. I have not personally used a "Life/Career COach" , but have had good results with the Career Place.
    Good luck.

5. Bibliovian

I work at a college and I can tell you what we would do with students who are looking for this sort of thing? In case that helps?

So typically when we have folks who really have questions about where they want to go career wise or what education would be beneficial we would have them take some assessments to get a better idea of what type of work is preferable/ skill appropriate just to start a dialogue. The relevance of education greatly varies by industry.

Might be a good place to start, then you can do research about that industry or talk to a therapist or career counselor from there. Myers Briggs is everyone's go-to assessment. What Color is Your Parachute is a career counselor favorite over here. I Just did a "Strengthsquest" test which I loved.

Also agree with everyone! A good therapist is life changing!